BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
RADIATOR HOSE ISSUE

1992 3.0L V-6 RANGER

New thermostat
New Water Pump

Done By Others^^FWIW

Guys I noticed the other day that the Upper radiator hose gets Sucked Flat when RPM is higher than Idel BAD it compleatly collapses IDK how it can circulate the coolant very well in this Condition

IDK if the hoses have ever been changed But the Upper hose Really gets sucked flat.

Iv seen this a few times on vehicles that have been shutdown But they have always expanded upon startup and are fine

the Lower Looks Fairly Old and only partly collapses under higher RPM

I am going to change the Upper hose at a Minimum as its really Bad and probably alot older than Im thinking and really Soft

I am just wondering if the radiator could be pluged up causing some of this
Or anything else I should check into????

Thanks for your Imput

Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM
f5fordgirl
Laughing Gas
Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts
Sounds like both hoses should be replaced.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:45 PM
rangerjeff
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd have to agree the rubber breaks down after age and certain conditions depending on what anti freeze is being used also . but if your temp.isnt running hot the themastat is working . i'd do a flush, replace hoses ,themastat and fluid then youll be ready to roll . also check you overflow bottle and make sure everything hooked up right . good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind. The upper hose is the outlet from the block, heading into the radiator. The lower feeds coolant to the water pump, and thence to the block, heads, etc. If you are getting collapsed hoses, the lower is the more likely to collapse, and the upper should be under pressure from the block, pushing coolant into the radiator.
Unless the coolant level is significantly low, you should never have a collapsed hose where it is the outlet, under pressure, from the block & cooling passages.
Ain't spozta happen.
In many applications, the lower hose actually has a spring inside, used a reinforcement prevent the hose from collapsing. If the system has been kept maintenance-free, as in the coolant is just rusty water, the spring can rust away, and allow the hose to collapse.
I do not know how the upper hose can collapse unless there is no coolant in the system, or the thermostat is plugged, or, even the outlet from the intake behind the thermostat.
tom

Old 03-23-2013, 05:12 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tomw
Two thoughts come to mind. The upper hose is the outlet from the block, heading into the radiator. The lower feeds coolant to the water pump, and thence to the block, heads, etc. If you are getting collapsed hoses, the lower is the more likely to collapse, and the upper should be under pressure from the block, pushing coolant into the radiator.
Unless the coolant level is significantly low, you should never have a collapsed hose where it is the outlet, under pressure, from the block & cooling passages.
Ain't spozta happen.
In many applications, the lower hose actually has a spring inside, used a reinforcement prevent the hose from collapsing. If the system has been kept maintenance-free, as in the coolant is just rusty water, the spring can rust away, and allow the hose to collapse.
I do not know how the upper hose can collapse unless there is no coolant in the system, or the thermostat is plugged, or, even the outlet from the intake behind the thermostat.
tom

Ya Im thinking the same as you about the Lower sohould be the one to Collapse First

But its Not IDK why?? Coolant leval is Good

I wondered about Blockage too

All the Coolant is less than a year old BUT it just had the water pump and thermostat changed

SO Before this^^I bet it had been ALONG Time since coolant got changed if Ever

You mention the spring to keep the Hoses from colapsing I have been trying to think of something I could do to keep this from happening. Id put a spring in I just dont know where to find it

I think the best thing is Still plan to change Both Hoses later today or tommorrow

maybe I should flush the cooling system too

Do you guys just use that VC-9 Cleaner from Ford???

I know theres the prestone stuff I used on my car last year IDK how well that stuff worked

I have used the VC-9 cleaner on my big truck and it worked Great

Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The hoses can also collapse like that if there is air in the system.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a Ford pick up once that had three common hose clamps on the upper radiator hose. When asked, I was told that it was to keep the hose from collapsing. They were evenly from one end of the hose to the other. They were snugged up just short of collapsing the hose themselves.