6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

High Idle Mod ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM
trouty33
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I was looking at hooking a switch up this weekend for high idle in my 06. i will mainly use it for the warm up use in cold weather, however there are time when i would want to use it for recharging the batt in the trailer. Which way would you guys recomend?? i was going to go with the mod that varried the RPM's based on the draw of electricity. What are the pros and cons of each before i make up my mind...

now i wish i would have got the upfitters from the start one day i will get it all right, then Ill go buy a new one again!! thanks

Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by trouty33
OK, I was looking at hooking a switch up this weekend for high idle in my 06. i will mainly use it for the warm up use in cold weather, however there are time when i would want to use it for recharging the batt in the trailer. Which way would you guys recomend?? i was going to go with the mod that varried the RPM's based on the draw of electricity. What are the pros and cons of each before i make up my mind...

now i wish i would have got the upfitters from the start one day i will get it all right, then Ill go buy a new one again!! thanks
I tried to explain the differences in post #12 above. For the use you described, I would suggest the Battery Charge Protect (BCP) wire which is purple with light green stripe.

It's really not a big deal which one you choose. It's about a 5 minute job to change your mind and connect the other wire.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 AM
trouty33
New User
Originally Posted by bpounds
If you used the solid Orange wire, then you used the SEIC input wire. You just didn't go on to install the resistor, so you only get the 1,200 rpm. With the resistor installed you could choose any rpm you wanted, up to 2,400. Your method also locks the torque converter, so that power takeoff applications could be used. Nothing wrong with doing it that way, it's just one of the options.

The BCP wire is purple with light green stripe and just gives a solid 1,200 RPM, unless you are drawing more electrical current than the alternator can provide, at which point it will automatically ramp up higher. But you might not ever see that happen in normal use unless you have a big inverter or something using power. You might also see the increased rpm's if you jump start someone. This method does NOT lock the torque converter, since it is not intended to support power takeoff.

The OP asked how to choose, and that is it in a nutshell.
ok i knew you were talking about the 2 different choices but i was unsure when you said about having the resistor installed... is there a need to hook up something separate that i am missing or was i thinking the right thing the whole time?? also how do you select your RPM am i think to hard about this? as far as i knew you had 2 choices and all you had to do is pick the wire depending on the desired affect.
from what i re read on your post#12 i would want to use the BCP hook up, i never knew you could turn the seic hook up into a variable hook up with a little extra work. the BCP hook up changes per need of the truck the SEIC is changable with a little extra stuff??? Thanks I think i am more clear on this now if not i am sure you and the others here can get me where i am trying to go!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by trouty33
ok i knew you were talking about the 2 different choices but i was unsure when you said about having the resistor installed... is there a need to hook up something separate that i am missing or was i thinking the right thing the whole time?? also how do you select your RPM am i think to hard about this? as far as i knew you had 2 choices and all you had to do is pick the wire depending on the desired affect.
from what i re read on your post#12 i would want to use the BCP hook up, i never knew you could turn the seic hook up into a variable hook up with a little extra work. the BCP hook up changes per need of the truck the SEIC is changable with a little extra stuff??? Thanks I think i am more clear on this now if not i am sure you and the others here can get me where i am trying to go!
Yeah, you're probably over thinking it. Just use the BCP wire and be done with it.

But for informational purposes, if you choose to use the SEIC wire, you can use another wire to install either a fixed resistor, or a variable potentiometer to set whatever RPM you want between 1,200 and 2,400. This document explains how, and has a chart to tell you what resistance value gives for RPM value. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q108.pdf Notice on the chart it shows "open circuit" gives 1,200 RPM. That's what you would be doing if you used the SEIC wire and did NOT install a resistor.

I should add, the above is for automatic transmission trucks, 2005 -2007. If you have a manual transmission, a resistor is mandatory to make it work.

Last edited by bpounds; 12-10-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 PM
trouty33
New User
GREAT..ok sounds good!! I am going to get the stuff to do it now and hope to have time to get it done yet this weekend!! THANKS AGAIN!!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
88stang1
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
For an '05, you want to use this how-to guide:
TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Purple wire with light green stripe.
Thank you for the heads up I am going to switch to purple wire with green stripe

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
trouty33
New User
ALL DONE!! I did the BCP hook up and besides having big hands that was a 10 minute job... I really wish I would have donr that long ago! Thanks everyone who helped! the only thing i didn't do is hook up the rv to see if the RPM's go up with more draw but i am sure it will be fine!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
ConvertedFord
Senior User
Thanks guys! completed it this morning and it works like a charm. Took Pounds advice and used the BCP. couldn't done it without ya.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
OK...I'm gonna do this next weekend before I head to MI. Where is the elusive Purple w/ green stripe wire?

Mike

Old 12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
hiding behind your underdash fuse box that you unbolt and pull out of the way

didn't it show you? https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph..._idle_mod.html

Old 12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Zmann,

While I might be color blind when looking at wiring...I'm not when I read! LOL!

Where does it say purple wiring in that? This is what's been driving me nuts, MAN! LOL

Mike

Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CombatMedicF-250
Where does it say purple wiring in that? This is what's been driving me nuts, MAN! LOL
It doesn't, because that's the wrong document for an '05 - '07. You want this one for your '06:
TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Incidentally, on my '06, the wires have labels on them for what they are used for, so you don't have to rely solely on colors.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
bpounds! You are awesome...How did miss that?

I do see me using up in MI when I start it up on Remote for my kids and lady!

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
See...I knew I liked this! It even tells you to drink beer too! Nowhere did it say that in the other one! I'm so glad i have an '06! Must be a better year if beer is included!

Mike

Old 12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CombatMedicF-250
See...I knew I liked this! It even tells you to drink beer too! Nowhere did it say that in the other one! I'm so glad i have an '06! Must be a better year if beer is included!

Mike
LOL, I guess the beer goes without saying, but it never hurts to be reminded. You can't be too careful.

Quick Reply: High Idle Mod ????