Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Posting Guru

PlatinumPete has a great reputation on FTE.PlatinumPete has a great reputation on FTE.PlatinumPete has a great reputation on FTE.PlatinumPete has a great reputation on FTE.PlatinumPete has a great reputation on FTE.PlatinumPete has a great reputation on FTE.
Pete Halpen Jr
I had this happen to me a few years back on the OBS diesel I had. I ended up just letting the truck run for a while and it thawed enough to siphon it out. I replaced it with the orange Rain-X. I have used it ever since and never had it freeze. Granted it doesn't get as cold here as it does in MN but it might work for you.
2001 F250, Platinum Edition (1 of 2482,thanks Ed),PAA #114, CC, SB, 4x4, auto, 295k +, DP TUNER - Live Tuned, Casserly Stg 1's, WW, 1.0 housing, ISSPRO's, 8.5" lift, 38" Kumho's, 20" welds, 4:30's, 4" turbo back, 6637, 650 dash, '08 diff cover+tailgate, '05 Lights+Grill, RiffRaff HPX,FRX+OCR, 522hp+1006tq Thanks to the new ZIGGY mod!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Post Fiend

Smokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhand124 View Post
Any one ever have this happen, a few days ago I went to use the fluid to wash the windshield and nothing came out, so I went to put some fluid in and it was half full with ice floating in it. I must of had some condensation or bad fluid in there. Problem is I don't have a warm shop to put it in and I assume the lines are frozen too. Any suggestions?
I'd just keep the heat on it..heat gun treatment.

Ive had the spray nozzles freeze on me before, but never the entire reservoir. Good luck.
Lisa Not so Early '99 PSD long bed XLT supercab. 4" Pro Comp suspension lift, 315 BFG AT's on 17" Liquid Metal Gatlins, Casserly Stage 1 injectors, Terminator T-500 HPOP, BTS VB, Cale's tunes, 203* thermostat and billet housing, 6637 w/Pete's cover, CCV, Riffraff oil and fuel crossover, late turbo conversion - international bellowed up pipes, 4" turbo back exhaust, EBPV delete, Harley Davidson headlights, 08 mirrors. 200k club member.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Elder User

itsjustdan26 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.itsjustdan26 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lisa!!!!
Read this

Potent Storm Brings Heavy Snow - Denver Weather News Story - KMGH Denver

GO COLORADO!

Oh yeah..With wind chill its -5 degrees outside in Denver.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Elder User

willeo6709 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.willeo6709 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had the same thing happen on the excursion..... and I think you'll need to rig a holder for a hair dryer as it took the ex about 5 hours to thaw out enough to drain it sitting in the bay with the 60HP screw compressor that puts out about 250,000 btu. I drained the resoivor and refilled with prestone deicer fluid. Pumped it through the lines and golden from then on.

Once ya get that big a chunk of ice it takes it a while to thaw.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Posting Guru

jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Got 'er done, I used this to boil the fluid in the reservoir:

Click the image to open in full size.

Once all the ice was melted I pumped out the crappy fluid and put in the -30° stuff and heated that and whala sprayers are working again.

I also tested to see how flammable the fluid is...not very it will put a match out. I think you would have to vaporize it and then maybe it would ignite.
Jason E99 F350 CC LB SRW Lariat w/325K, '02 engine w/170K, PHP Hydra, AFE II w/ Pete's cover, 4" MBRP, Van Turbo w/billet wheel, 6.0 intercooler, Melling LPOP, T500 HPOP, 140 IDM, TSI built trans #5, Tru-cool max 4739, CCK, FPR shim, ISSPRO gauges, Recon smoked cab lights, '05 Headlights, '12 Tail gate & Bumper, X-code springs, '04 rear end 3:73's LS, AE
Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Postmaster

Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.
I use this year around and never had it freeze. No tank heater needed yet down into double digit sub-zero Indiana temps.
Rain-X®: De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Posting Guru

jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.jhand124 has a very good reputation on FTE.
First time it has ever happen to me, I usually have the -20 or -30 stuff in there. I don't know what I had in there but I hadn't needed to refill it for some time.

I haven't see the rain-x stuff around, but I haven't been looking for it either.

Thanks for the tip.
Jason E99 F350 CC LB SRW Lariat w/325K, '02 engine w/170K, PHP Hydra, AFE II w/ Pete's cover, 4" MBRP, Van Turbo w/billet wheel, 6.0 intercooler, Melling LPOP, T500 HPOP, 140 IDM, TSI built trans #5, Tru-cool max 4739, CCK, FPR shim, ISSPRO gauges, Recon smoked cab lights, '05 Headlights, '12 Tail gate & Bumper, X-code springs, '04 rear end 3:73's LS, AE
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Post Fiend

DieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to behold
Glay you figured out a solution Jason.

2001 F350 Lariat CC LB 4X4, Various mods
http://www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Posting Guru

maevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud of
That's a great ideal Jason, Reps sent.

and that reminds me to check my washer fluid.

KEEP means it's mine and you can't have it
BEAR means it's right here on me
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means **** You
Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Just seen this thread, glad you got it Jason, nice gadget and save..
Mike's 03 [font=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [font=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Freshman User

NEIowa is starting off with a positive reputation.
The alcohol in the washer fluid is what keeps it from freezing but alcohol is more volatile than H20,so after several months in the reservoir it can evaporate and leave you with what is basically blue colored water. We learned this the hard way after using some off brand washer fluid to flush and winterize our new self propelled sprayer.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Junior User

TheAdmiral is starting off with a positive reputation.
Over Thanksgiving I bought an F250 in California and drove it back to Minnesota. Surprise, the fluid in the wiper tank froze solid. I took out the tank and thawed and disposed of the old fluid and added the orange -30 blend.

The thing is it didn't take care of the frozen fluid in the lines, so I'm still getting no wiper fluid coming through the lines.

I'll hit it with a heat gun on a warmer day this week.

My question is, how likely is it that the motor got damaged? Between the liquid freezing in it and me trying to operate the motor repeatedly, I'm a little pessimistic that some damage might have been done.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Over Thanksgiving I bought an F250 in California and drove it back to Minnesota. Surprise, the fluid in the wiper tank froze solid. I took out the tank and thawed and disposed of the old fluid and added the orange -30 blend.

The thing is it didn't take care of the frozen fluid in the lines, so I'm still getting no wiper fluid coming through the lines.

I'll hit it with a heat gun on a warmer day this week.

My question is, how likely is it that the motor got damaged? Between the liquid freezing in it and me trying to operate the motor repeatedly, I'm a little pessimistic that some damage might have been done.

Thanks!
Have you looked at where the lines are...kinda tough to get to all of the length, I would try heating the fluid and then try spraying the windshield.

I thought the same thing about damaging the motor, but mine is fine..
Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Junior User

TheAdmiral is starting off with a positive reputation.
The lines should be fine to get to 90% of. I'm going to wait until it warms up to mid 20's later this week, then hit them with the heat gun.

Thanks for the info on the motor not going out. It gives me a little hope. Since I bought a replacement motor today before I realized the tank was frozen, I'll hang onto it and return it if thawing the lines takes care of the entire issue.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
The lines should be fine to get to 90% of. I'm going to wait until it warms up to mid 20's later this week, then hit them with the heat gun.

Thanks for the info on the motor not going out. It gives me a little hope. Since I bought a replacement motor today before I realized the tank was frozen, I'll hang onto it and return it if thawing the lines takes care of the entire issue.
I see in your avatar you have a obs, the lines in a super duty are more hidden. Good luck I hope it works out.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 2009, f250, f350, fluid, ford, frozen, hear, lines, motor, pump, reservoir, washer, windshield, wiper, wriper