Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Paint & Bodywork
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Paint & Bodywork SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

View Poll Results: Should I coat my 02 F250 in Line-X?
Good Idea 16 64.00%
Bad Idea 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 PM
New User

Nick__ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Line-X Paint Job

This probably has come up before but I'm wondering what peoples opinions are on coating a 02 F250 crew cab in Line-X? What are the pros and cons how much cheaper is it compared to a regular black paint job and a good semi-gloss black paint job and what are the pros and cons of the semi-gloss paint job? I live in Canada so if anyone gives estimates could you say if it's in USD or CDN. Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
I saw a 92-6 F150 done in lineX and it was a great woods truck. I wouldn't want it on a nice daily driver though, lineX is still porous and will turn gray with contaminants. Washing, Brushing and spraying it down with vinyl dressings or similar will bring it back.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Amatuer Restorer

gfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to allgfw1985 is a name known to all
I voted no for only one reason. An 02 is a new truck for me, and it will kill your chances of resale unless you plan on keeping it forever.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Junior User

draginlow is starting off with a positive reputation.
my buddy did it on one of his trail trucks and love it. they put a coating over it thats like a clear coat. that was 3 years ago and it's still on the road and looks like the day they did it. the only problem is stuff sticks to it and not just slide off. like mud and snow. it just builds up and you have to shovel it off ha ha.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
New User

Nick__ is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm more than likely going to keep it until it dies so I don't have to worry about resale lol.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Elder User

Big_Al59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know it cost me $350 to get my bed done (in 2006) and they wanted another $350 to do the rocker panels. Unless you did it yourself it could get spendy doing the whole truck. I'm going to try some herculiner or similiar product on my 93 250 this summer. Do the front of the hood where the bug shield has worn off the paint and the bottom 6-8 inches on the sides where all the rock chips are.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Junior User

draginlow is starting off with a positive reputation.
herculiner i would stay from. it works good for beds but it has sand like stuff in it and it fades. yea a 99cent can of black a couple times a year will keep it looking good but everything will stick to it like we have cotton wood trees around here and my plow truck looks like a fuzz ball lol

for the front of a hood i would use a chip gard like this one that we use in the body shop..Chip Guard

you can get it in black or clear. if you use the clear the base color shows through good
Old 12-12-2009, 09:48 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
A fella that I know did his lower body with line-x and it looks good. I also voted no. I've heard of moisture building up behind the line-x and rusting the body panels.

Tim
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Elder User

TruckDaddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
A fella that I know did his lower body with line-x and it looks good. I also voted no. I've heard of moisture building up behind the line-x and rusting the body panels.
Tim
That's incorrect, LINE-X provides a water tight seal. If rust occurs, it's coming from the other side of the metal.

LINE-X with the optional LINE-X Xtra will not fade.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior User

hutch1973 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I second the statement about killing resale. I just bought a truck off Craigslist that the p.o. had used a line x type material on the rockers and over the wheels. Plan was to do the whole truck. I had serious reservations about even going to look at it, and only did because I couldn't find another comparable Flareside within 4 states. I bought it, but only because he used a cheap material I'm confident I or a body shop can remove. If it would have been line x, I wouldn't have bought it.

It's a 92 4x4 with under 90k, and he had it for sale for over a year. Started at $3500 and I bought it yesterday for $1700.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Posting Guru

Sand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud of
I'm gonna guess you're a bit on the young side. I say this because of the statement about keeping it forever. I used to think that wen I was in my 20's but now in my late 40's I realize that EVERYTHING gets sold eventually. Don't do it, you will be sorry later.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Elder User

magusjinx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Never seen a Line X or other bedliner truck ... Did see one done with non-skid marine deck paint tho ... Did look like a puffball during ***** willow and cattail season ... Paint job was 4 years old when I saw it and it looked good ... If you live anywhere near a source of salt (ocean, winter roads) an extra coating of something is a good idea ...

I wonder if you could undercoat a whole truck? ...

1986 Ford F250 Explorer XL--4x4, 6.9 NA IDI, C6

1986 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer Limited --2.8L V6, Automatic
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Senior User

hutch1973 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I will be undercoating the underside of my truck with it when I'm ready. Pierce, a company that manufactures fire trucks in Appleton, does this on every truck before it leaves. If they do it to prevent wear/tear on a $$$ fire truck, can't be a bad thing.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Posting Guru

TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.TennesseeMustangPerf has a good reputation on FTE.
My buddy did this on his Chevy, aptly named "Jed". He did the Herculiner thing. It was a nice little 50 footer, but I totally agree with gfw1985 here, it is a new truck still, and would slam the value. Linux is nice for some accents such as bedliner, step pads on the Nerf bars, and possibly the bumpers, but that is it. Incidentally, has anybody priced Linux? I was thinking of having my SD 8 foot bed done. I am liking the lifetime warranty.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 AM