6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

13% Fuel in oil. Thinking about Spartan

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:28 AM
mlh1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13% Fuel in oil. Thinking about Spartan

I had my oil checked and I had 13% fuel in my oil. Ford says they can't fix the problem. Spartan can fix it, so I have a few questions.
1 Has any body took truck to the dealer and had their warranty voided after their truck was returned to stock. Was code P167F found. Tell me what you know about this. Please.
2 How long does it take to return your truck to stock?
3 Is there any difference in performance or fuel mileage using a stock tune and DPF delete. I don,t need or even won,t any more power.
If fuel in oil was good all oil would smell like fuel. I'm not going to ruin my truck because of the EPA's BS.
THANKS

Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 AM
richfaa
Elder User
13% fuel in oil and Ford can't fix it????? try another dealer...

Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 AM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by richfaa
13% fuel in oil and Ford can't fix it????? try another dealer...
I agree. DPF delete is an option, but not the only option. Consider Ford Customer Service, etc.

As a side bar to one of the OP's questions, does extended warranty become void if DPF is deleted?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
mlh1
New User
Rich
My dealer didn't say they couldn't fix it, Ford said they couldn't fix it. Ford said there was nothing wrong, change the oil more often.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 AM
ZeroOne
Junior User
13% seems excessive for just regen. They couldn't check for a fuel rail leak under the valve cover or for a bad injector at least?

Besides the 13% (which is ridiculous), any driveability issues?

I have a stock tune / dpf delete. It does not help mileage that much on its own as far as driving goes... but with no more regen, you don't take THAT mileage hit. It wastes quite a bit of fuel in that process.

The truck has been to the dealer for standard service, 30k fuel filters, trans flush, (I did the oil). While there, it was returned to stock (before going in). They wanted to reflash it (it hadn't been in, in a long time). No problems, no meniton of the tuner, reflashed fine. Re-tuned fine with the latest tuner updates.

Swapping stuff in and out takes about an hour by yourself once you get your own "system" for doing it, and if you're taking your time, as I was. The first time though... will be a pain, with rust holding some sensors in, and the exhaust pipes being bonded together through heat and time. Unbolt the downpipe first, to prevent any undue stress on it's mouting to the turbo.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 AM
ZeroOne
Junior User
Originally Posted by mlh1
Rich
My dealer didn't say they couldn't fix it, Ford said they couldn't fix it. Ford said there was nothing wrong, change the oil more often.
How many miles were on the oil with 13%?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
mlh1
New User
ZeroOne
10000 miles. To keep the fuel level at under 2% I would haft to change oil ever 1500 miles. No THANKS

Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the issue's with the 6.4 and the 6.0 are all due to EPA/goverment "BS",take a good hard look at this chart that i've post before, Diesel Technician Society ,is it possible to "SUE", in a class action suit the EPA/goverment for all the money lost/spent in repair's ,pain and suffering and lose of use of all the truck's that had to be built with this BS,they could have STOPPED at the 2002 level and had a 75% drop in Diesel emission's but as with everything with politition's,it's never good enough!!!!,as the chart clearly show's,anything past the 2002 level is pure "OVERKILL",the 6.0's and 6.4's would NOT have the issue's they do were it not for the EGR'S & EGR COOLER'S Which end up leaking and V V turbo's along with the DPF,everything and i mean everything the goverment does end's up costing all of us MONEY,a class action suit where the people who come up with this CRAP HAVE TO PAY UP and not the goverment it self just might take some of the wind out of their sail's,politition's are part of a small group of people who never have to clean up the mess's they make,past time for that to change,any lawyer's on this board????.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by ZeroOne
13% seems excessive for just regen. They couldn't check for a fuel rail leak under the valve cover or for a bad injector at least?

Besides the 13% (which is ridiculous), any driveability issues?

I have a stock tune / dpf delete. It does not help mileage that much on its own as far as driving goes... but with no more regen, you don't take THAT mileage hit. It wastes quite a bit of fuel in that process.

The truck has been to the dealer for standard service, 30k fuel filters, trans flush, (I did the oil). While there, it was returned to stock (before going in). They wanted to reflash it (it hadn't been in, in a long time). No problems, no meniton of the tuner, reflashed fine. Re-tuned fine with the latest tuner updates.

Swapping stuff in and out takes about an hour by yourself once you get your own "system" for doing it, and if you're taking your time, as I was. The first time though... will be a pain, with rust holding some sensors in, and the exhaust pipes being bonded together through heat and time. Unbolt the downpipe first, to prevent any undue stress on it's mouting to the turbo.

Tell me more about unbolting the down pipe. I just had mine put back to stock and now i have diesel smell in the cab. I'm wondering if something was damaged up around the engine area causing a leak.

Thanks,

Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by mlh1
ZeroOne
10000 miles. To keep the fuel level at under 2% I would haft to change oil ever 1500 miles. No THANKS

Go to 5K oil change interval. That will help alot. Also how do you drive the truck? That is a factor. With the Regen's and stuff this truck is not a city truck anymore. You have to get it out on the hwy when it is regen time and let it get it done.

Bad thing is the regen will usually happen at the most inconvient time. I have over 28K on mine and I don't make any oil but I drive mine very little in the city so that helps.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use the 5K oil change interval at the request of the diesel tech at my dealer. I tried 10K when I first got the truck but the oil level would get too high so we changed to the 5K interval.

Obviously this does not sit well with the o.p. but it's a fact with the newer diesel engines. I guess Spartanizing will "fix" it but it is still spending money, just in a different way.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Well i venture to say if your seeing that kinda fuel in your oil then your regening like crazy and your getting aweful fuel economy right. I would think if you go with Spartan you will be one of the ones getting much better mileage. I am getting around 2mpg better and love the increased response and power. I'm not a big fan of the super big hp increases as I just can't see how this is good on the engine. However, i think if you stay at the 210 tune and below your ok. I personally run the 75hp tune. I was seeing 2.5% diesel in oil at every 5K oil change and got consistently around 15mpg on the hwy. 16mpg if i drove 55mph on flat ground and no head wind. Then i did the dpf delete and have 0% fuel in oil and mileage is a high as 18-19 but again driving 55mph flat ground no wind. Take this up to 70 and i drop back to 16.5-17 flat ground.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Part of the discussion here as I see it is the extra cost of more frequent oil changes mandated by the emissions components on the engine.

So, Changing oil every 5K in stock trim costs 2X what it would to go to a 10K interval.

If you have a Spartan DPF/CAT delete system can you go to a 10K or 15K oil change interval since you no longer make oil?

Then, if I get 9-10 oil changes every year at a dealer cost of $100, it's 1K. So I could save $500 bucks in oil changes? It would take me 4 or 5 years to offset the cost of the Spartan. Maybe less if Spartan could customize a tow tune for me that would give me 12-15mpg towing 12K worth of trailer. Then I would save a lot on fuel too.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 AM
mlh1
New User
sawtooth
My truck regens about every 200 miles and I get about 13+ mpg around crountry. I think thats about like around town, but I'm a crountry boy. I just don't think it's good to wash all of the oil off the cylinders every 200 miles. Blackstone says the 2 worst things you can do to a engine is have water or fuel in the oil. with water being the worst. Going by what is in Ford's owmers guide I got 13% fuel in my oil. There is nothing wrong with the truck, no fuel leaks no bad ejectors, nothing.
What I need to know is can Ford find a Spartan tuner after the truck is put back to stock.
Thank you all verry verry much. I appreciate your HELP.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 AM
ZeroOne
Junior User
I would definitely stick to the 5k interval with a dpf. I do 5k without one, just to be safe. Though, oil sampling may be the safe way to extend that and keep an eye on exactly what's going. With the dpf on though, the fuel dilution will continue at some rate.

Originally Posted by sawtooth
Tell me more about unbolting the down pipe. I just had mine put back to stock and now i have diesel smell in the cab. I'm wondering if something was damaged up around the engine area causing a leak.

Thanks,
That is definitely a possibility, unfortunately. When installing/uninstalling the heavy DPF/DOC and you leave the downpipe attached, it may be possible to put undue stress on the downpipes mount to the turbo. There is no exhaust hanger or mount for the downpipe to stabilize it. It is bolted to the turbo, and then to the ball-flange for the DPF/DOC unit. It is sortof a go-between, for the securely mounted exhaust system, and the (obviously) securely mounted engine. Once you unmount the DPF/DOC hangars, it is free to pry on the downpipe if it is still connected. It can also be hard on the downpipe/turbo mount when you're trying to remove the tailpipe exhaust from the DPF/DOC assembly. The hangars hold the unit under there very well but do allow for some front-back play. When I swap my stuff out, the ball flange is always the first thing to be unbolted, and the last thing to get hooked back up.

There are a couple of aftermarket downpipes that people are using now, and I think it is a cab-ON procedure to install them. So it's not impossible to get under there and check that connection.... but I have not tried it myself, and can't say for sure.

I don't think it has happened very often but there are a few reports of stock trucks that have misaligned downpipes, causing the exhaust smell in-cab as well.

Here is the TSB on the stock issue:

Exhaust leak in engine compartment:
Some trucks may have an exhaust odor inside or exhaust smoke may be visible around the front. This could be caused by a leak at the turbo outlet from a misaligned downpipe. Verification requires disconnecting the turbo oil supply tubes (replace the banjo sealing washers, W302474) and removing the turbo heat shield to inspect. If the leak is at the turbo outlet, the downpipe will need to be repositioned to seal correctly, with a new downpipe to turbo gasket (7C3Z-6L612-B) and v-band clamp (7C3Z-5A231-AC), and new nuts for the downpipe to catalytic converter flange (W711407-S900). If properly installed, the downpipe will be 11/16" +/- 1/8" from the frame rail. TSB 07-7-7

Quick Reply: 13% Fuel in oil. Thinking about Spartan