1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent windows, gauges, radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
dpigme
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a f250 diesel that at times when cold out the gauges will go back and forth while driving
battery light comes on and windows wont work
stop restart and its ok till the next time it happens
any help out there
iv ck all wiring to cluster and column seems t happen when tach hits 2000 rpm but not all the time

Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
intlenus
New User
Gem Module

I just had the same problems including shift on the fly 4X4 not working. after trying everything possible as everyone has mentioned we found the GEM Module located behind the interior fuse box, actually bolted to the back of it, had a burnt electrical smell so we replaced it and all is well once more. You can get a replacement gem module at the dealer for about $600 or from autopartscheaper.com. They have a blog that explains this unit, what it does and the indications that it is going bad. use the link below
http://blog.autopartscheaper.com/?p=38

The link below was for my rig
1999 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty or F-350 Genuine Ford GEM Module With keyless entry
Look for the on that fits your setup or call them they are very helpful.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 AM
dpigme
New User
thanks for the info
but my truck is a 02 there is no gem behind the fuse box
i think the gem is in the instrument cluster
if any of you know
or any other suggestions
i need help

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
David_396
New User
Have the same problem with my 02'. Battery light flickers at times. Battery light would also stay on at times but gauges would continue to work. Now when light comes on, alll gauges widows and radio quit working. Restart, and problem goes away for weeks or days. ???????

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I got a new radio and my problem went away.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM
jimmy4321
Freshman User
I have an 04 F350 with same issues.First thing I notice is a quick brake warning light flicker followed by ALL my gauges reading zero, at the same time my radio dies and my power windows.This may last 30sec to a couple minutes, then radio turns on and all gauges max out then drop to normal readings.

Find it odd that theres no fix for this, its not all uncommon

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
dammdoggs
New User
Originally Posted by freefal
I have 2003 F250 SD XLT 4x4 that has problems with check engine light comes on at start up and then the radio,windows,instrument cluster and wipers all do not work. After a few seconds/minutes you hear a relay make noise and everything comes on except for the wipers. I can usually smack on the dash just above the radio and wipers will begin to work. I have replaced instrument cluster,GEM module and had entire dash apart. Had a mechanic work on it for more than 3 weeks looking all with no luck in finding reason. Could this be a ground issue under the dash or possibly a problem in the radio itself since hitting dash above radio will most of time correct????
I have a 02 f350 gasser... and I have been experiencing this for the last year or so... but finally beating on the dash no longer fixes it. As of now... when I turn the key to the on position... the guages/radio don't come on for about 15 seconds or so.. and the wipers don't work period... even after everything else comes on... I REALLY need to get my wipers working as I use this to haul heavy equipment with... and can't do it reliably until I can find a fix...

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Thanks ... great site btw...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Arterburyka
New User
Has anyone found out the answer to this problem I have an 07 f250 harley edition and my dash gauges radio and window locks and door locks go out my headlights will dim and get bright before this happens?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 AM
jimmy4321
Freshman User
I'm not a mechanic.
When I hit the top right part of my cluster while vehicle is running, it fixes it more times than not for a breif period of time.(though increasingly gets more difficult)
I took my instrument cluster out looking for anything loose but all looked snug.There is however a pin connect at top right and got the problem to react once to me applying pressure on connector, coincidence??? Maybe.

I don't know what issues occur if that connector or anything internal near fails.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Arterburyka
New User
I tried hitting the dash and it does not make a difference on mine it does seem to act up while driving on the highway and seem to act up when letting off the throttle at 75mph and comes back on when you speed back up

Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM
jimmy4321
Freshman User
Only things effected on mine are
Radio, power windows, all gauges die or max out, or combo of both.
Dome lights

My headlings uneffected.
If you find an answer, please post it.This issue is getting old.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Arterburyka
New User
I am ready to sell mine I'm tired of fixing it if anyone interested let me know

Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same problem here also, windows and radio lose power but intermitinly come back on. Did notice though after getting new batteries and now the radio goes on by itself. I'll turn it off but then goes on again. My volts are higher now at 14.1 to 14.6 volts and i'm wondering if the spike in voltage is the reason for that problem now. I'm thinking voltage regulator or the gem module.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am assuming your glove box light does not work as well with the windows, radio, and map lights.

The problem is inside your gauge cluster and will need to be replaced. There is a circuit board inside the cluster along with a relay that is timed, what this relay does is when you turn off the truck your power windows and radio will stay on until you open the door. Now the solder on that circuit board somewhere has corroded or broken free, if it has broken free there will be no intermittent with radio, power windows etc it just plain won't work.

At Ford a new gauge cluster will cost you around 500 bucks along with reprograming for your current miles. On the Excursion side of this forum someone I think it was HOME WORKS has found a guy that will replace the cluster along with reprograming for your miles for around 265 shipped. I called the guy up and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about and will provide a discount for using this forum.

Advanced Auto Electronics
1-866-427-1112 Speak with Carey.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Arterburyka
New User
Is it confirmed that this has fixed these on other vehicles I would hate to spend the money to replace it and it not work

Quick Reply: Intermittent windows, gauges, radio