2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

6.2 in the Expy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
dockrocker
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6.2 in the Expy?

Any idea when/if the 6.2 Raptor/Super Duty motor will find its way into the Expy? I'd be very interested in an EL 4x4 with a (finally) big horsepower/torque motor in it.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
figure on 2014/2015 models at the earliest IMO

the 6.2 is only going into the Raptor and HD F-150 for now as special edition models

I'm betting Ford will wait until they revamp the Expy/F-150 in about 4 yrs, then it will be offered as the upgrade motor

Old 11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
dockrocker
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
figure on 2014/2015 models at the earliest IMO

the 6.2 is only going into the Raptor and HD F-150 for now as special edition models

I'm betting Ford will wait until they revamp the Expy/F-150 in about 4 yrs, then it will be offered as the upgrade motor
Well that would certainly suck, IMHO. Ford continuously gets trashed for its less-than-muscular truck engines, they finally come up with a solution, then wait years to make it available? Does not compute... but it does sound like "old Ford" thinking.

Hopefully the same sort of urgency that is spreading the eco-boost motor around will reach into the truck side of the house!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to remember the grand scheme of things-----. First of all, the 5.4 is more than adequate for most of the buyers. I have an EL W/6 speed. That gear spread makes the difference, and my .02 is what they should have done years ago! A smaller motor doing the work of a large one through gears. In fact, I wish my Expy PCM could be set so that 1st gear is not used for most local driving (selectable). The RPM's will go up too quickly, especially in 1st which is a MPG killer. 2nd gear is actually still a lower ratio than all the previous trannys 1st gear (E4OD/4R100 etc at 2.72).

I have pulled boats and travel trailers for all my life (almost all anyway!) and been a fan of 460's etc, but that was with C6's etc. I can just imagine a 460 FI with a 6 speed on it-------.

If you are comparing Ford to Chevy and Mopar (I looked at Suburbans before buying Ford) just remember who is selling trucks and who has the success. Part of the CAFE standards apply to the whole line of vehicles, which means that for all those big engines, there has to be some offset to bring up the MPG averages. So you need to remember that if Ford puts a 6.2 or a 6.8 V10 in the Expy, the make up will have to come from somewhere. Thank your senators and tree huggers for that one! If they put a 6.2 in the Expy, then they may very well have to delete it from some other line. Its kinda a "pick your own poison" deal.

Personally, I would go for a stroked & poked 460 with a good FI system and the 6 speed, but that "aint" reality. Overall, the 5.4 is an excellent engine, for the "people hauler". In fact, my wife (scary thought) would be perfectly happy with a 4.6 in it.
My .02!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I hate to admit it, but bensher is 100% correct

for all my purposes, the 5.4 3v is more than adequate. heck, I'm hauling 4 adults and 3 kids in my Expy EL right now and have no complaints in the power department. it gets the job done and can accelerate and merge with highway speed traffic with no issues.

btw, did you know that 1st gear is deeper than the 1st gear in a F-350? kinda freaky IMO. I love my 6 speed.

on the flip side, I want the 6.2....just because. I'm the guy who Supercharged my old F-150 and thought it didn't have enough power. I'm the guy who is about to Whipple his Mustang and thinks 450 RWHP (roughly 530 crank HP) might be enough.

and I'm considering picking up the Saleen 400 HP blower setup for my Expy...it's all relative. I'm always after more.

I am looking at a house though...so my high HP aspirations might be placed onto hold for a few years though

Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Right on Tylus! I'll drink to that. One of these days, I am going to put a screw type on something----even if its the Briggs on my lawn mower. Now theres a sight

Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
I bet we'll see it sooner, but without much fanfare.

Ford has to be carefull to not upset the Eco-weanies and big, bad-azz engines are a great way to do that.

So don't expect 76 trombones to be leading the first 6.2 Expedition down the road.

But if the engine is ready, Ford would be dumb to keep it on the shelf. While a 5.4 is enough for most people, frankly so is a Honda Accord. Expeditions are all about more, so I think we can expect to see more engine too.

Ford makes a ton of money on each Expy they sell, especially loaded models, so it's well worth their trouble to make a loaded Expy as appealing as possible to the guys that want it all.

Think about it... an Ecoboost Flex has more hp now than an Expy? That won't last too long. You might not see it in XLTs, but I'll bet very shortly after the 6.2s hit the road that EB's and Limiteds will be available with them.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

and if the Expy shows up with a 6.2 model for 2012...I might unfortunately pick up another Limited with it

just depends on if I could sell my current one and break even...which I think I could

darn you Ford and your big motors

Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by gpfarrell
I bet we'll see it sooner, but without much fanfare.

Ford has to be carefull to not upset the Eco-weanies and big, bad-azz engines are a great way to do that.

So don't expect 76 trombones to be leading the first 6.2 Expedition down the road.

But if the engine is ready, Ford would be dumb to keep it on the shelf. While a 5.4 is enough for most people, frankly so is a Honda Accord. Expeditions are all about more, so I think we can expect to see more engine too.

Ford makes a ton of money on each Expy they sell, especially loaded models, so it's well worth their trouble to make a loaded Expy as appealing as possible to the guys that want it all.

Think about it... an Ecoboost Flex has more hp now than an Expy? That won't last too long. You might not see it in XLTs, but I'll bet very shortly after the 6.2s hit the road that EB's and Limiteds will be available with them.
Actually, you'll see it come out in the Navi's first. IMHO, I can the 6.2L hitting the Limited's, certain EB's and Platinum F-150's as well as the Harley trucks and Raptors.

I think the Hwy MPG's for the 6.2L in the stock F-150 and Expy maybe better than we expect.

Tim

Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Actually, you'll see it come out in the Navi's first. Tim
That would make sense. I bet you're right.