Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ex towing receiver hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe there are any aftermarket ones available. Even if there were, it is still not a cut and dry swap. By the time you are done buying one, having it modified, etc., I don't think it can be done for less than the $350 plus or minus price tag for a new one from Ford.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 78Southwind
I actually purchased the 2002 hitch-receiver, bolts and nuts. The torque for the bolts is 85 lb-ft.

If you read the install intructions you will notice that you have to loosen the 4 fuel tank shield bolts... The torque for those bolts is 98 lb-ft.
How confident are we in these torque specs for the 18mm hitch bolts? It seems somewhat disconcerting that the 250lb tank is held by bolts torquesed tighter than a hitch with 1250lbs of weight on it...

Mark

Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Very sure. The torque numbers come right out of the Ford manual. Ypou can easily double check at the parts counter if you want. They can even print out the directions for you as I believe they are posted in this thread too.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks man. I found them from multiple sources last night, so that's what I used. This was a great thread, BTW, and thanks for all your contributions to it.

Mark

Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 AM
dfoxengr
Senior User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Bion,

But is sure is interesting that when we search the parts...I mean compare the two model years part by part...they are the SAME...kind of makes you scratch your head now doesn't it...

I hate giving out WRONG information...and I had always been led to beleive that the receiver mounting hardware had been changed to facilitate the weight upgrade...that doesn't seem to be a factually based position given our research looking at replacement parts now does it?

As an aside...the frames being different is interesting...not sure what to make of it...hopefully it means our 2005 frames are somewhat stronger and beefier in the rear which will accomodate the towing forces of my 1200# tongue weight better!

Thanks again for your diligence and time in looking...your data shows about the same as the schematics I posted above...and that is there does not appear to be any perceptible differences...at least not in the part number arena...and for petes sake...the drawings are both dated 11/16/1999 for the receiver...so that doesn't appear to be rev'd...but their configuration control may be more lax than what I am used to for my government customers!

Also...if ANYONE has any other information that could be useful in determining if there are REAL differences here...that we are missing...please share actual part numbers between the two model years so we can research it more!

Joe.

It's possible that it makes perfect sense that the part numbers are now the same. When a part is backwards compatible, they just substitute the old part number for the new.

Example:
2000 has P/N ABC
2001-2005 has P/N XYZ

In 2001 they substituted ABC for XYZ assuming that it was a backwards compatible change like changing the bolt grade. ABC is no longer offered and anyone needing to replace it would buy XYZ.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
BUMP!!!

This is a great thread, I just learned quite a bit. Having an older Excursion I'm stuck with the 10,000 lb hitch, which may be a problem when I have my trailer all loaded up. So from everything I've read it looks like I need to upgrade my bolts.

Fortunately I'm within easy driving distance of Tousley Ford, and so I can go and pick up the required hardware easily. The one thing that concerns me is enlarging the holes, how do you guys recommend getting this done? Also is the fuel tank held on by the shield, or are there straps of some sort under there. Am I going to have this thing fall on me if I back the bolts out too far?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Straps.

Stewart

Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
BUMP!!!

This is a great thread, I just learned quite a bit. Having an older Excursion I'm stuck with the 10,000 lb hitch, which may be a problem when I have my trailer all loaded up. So from everything I've read it looks like I need to upgrade my bolts.

Fortunately I'm within easy driving distance of Tousley Ford, and so I can go and pick up the required hardware easily. The one thing that concerns me is enlarging the holes, how do you guys recommend getting this done? Also is the fuel tank held on by the shield, or are there straps of some sort under there. Am I going to have this thing fall on me if I back the bolts out too far?
Search this. There was a thread on how to remove/replace the hitch platform. If I remember correctly, you just slide tank shield left/right to gain access. What is uncertain is how much room you will have for drill bit and/or motor. The 'nuts' are double-ganged together on oval plates that are fed in from frame end.

Good luck. This looks like a lot of work.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Forest
Search this. There was a thread on how to remove/replace the hitch platform. If I remember correctly, you just slide tank shield left/right to gain access. What is uncertain is how much room you will have for drill bit and/or motor. The 'nuts' are double-ganged together on oval plates that are fed in from frame end.

Good luck. This looks like a lot of work.
Thanks Forest, I'll so some more searching around. I'm going to see if a B&W 16K hitch for a Super Duty will fit tomorrow, and if not I'll be buying some drill bits and some hardware from Tousley!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Thanks Forest, I'll so some more searching around. I'm going to see if a B&W 16K hitch for a Super Duty will fit tomorrow, and if not I'll be buying some drill bits and some hardware from Tousley!
Those will be some big drill bits! I took my receiver to a metal fab place nearby to have the holes enlarged. The holes in the Ex frame are already big enough. (I don't have the original receiver for mine, so the used one I picked up must be one of the early ones.)

Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 AM
7.3Excursion4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have the part number for the 1250# receiver itself?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM
capmookie
New User
Hey Housedad can you email aq copy of that Ford Source Books to me, plz?
chrisandre33@gmail.com