Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
New User

TheDrewd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Installing new radio in 79 F-250

I am a new member and I just bought a 1979 F-250 Trailer Special.

I love it already. It seems to be in great condition, with some minor issues: fuel gauge at E / not working, temp gauge at H / shorted out?, ripped seat cover, missing hot and cold air ducts, a somewhat smashed up tailgate / still works, a small fuel leak that I think is coming form the disused rear fuel tank / front one is new, and a rough hot idle / doesn't die though. I sincerely hope that is all there is wrong with it for now.

All these issues I will be addressing in future posts, but I was wondering right off the bat about replacing the AM stereo with something so I can at least listen to FM radio, if not CDs if possible. I would like any one's opinion on how to do that well.

I used to drive a somewhat beat up 1995 F-250 for work, and that was just a rough beast compared to this smooth cat I have now. My dad and are also going to be fixing up a '67 F-250 for educational fun this winter. Digging the old Ford trucks right now.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Postmaster

Furyus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputation
If you can find a twin-post FM stereo that will work in that spot, great...

Otherwise, you have to cut-off the lower half of the metal radio/temp control bracket (I don't know it's proper name) and cut a big hole in your dash bezel. I got lucky and found someone here that already had one cut-out so, I didn't have to mutilate my original pieces... May even find one in a junkyard that's already cut-out...

Or, you can try one of these:
FM Transmitters / Modulators
"
You obviously don't comprehend the level of insane I operate at." - The 4th Doctor
Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Posting Guru

79FordBlake is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wouldnt say you have to cut a big hole. Just trim out the one that is already there. Its pretty simple. Takes like an hour to get it ready for the new cd player to go in. I cut the plugs off of my old radio and used them to hook up the new cd player so I wouldnt have to cut anything from the wiring harness in the truck. Getting off your door panels to put in the speakers and run new wire will probably be what takes the most time.
'92 F150, 302
Old 12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Posting Guru

79FordBlake is starting off with a positive reputation.
Click the image to open in full size.

I was going to mount the cd player under the dash but I decided to put it in the stock location. This is on my 73. The opening was already wide enough so no cuttin had to be done there. Didnt have to do any cuttin at the top either. The bottom had to be trimed slightly to remove the spots where the screws use to go to hold the bezel down(it still is securely in place and does not vibirate with just those two screws gone). I did this with a mini-hacksaw then filled it down smooth. The radio/heater control bracket was trimed to size with a cut-off wheel. You don't have to cut it in half, it will be pretty thin at the edges but you can reinforce it from the sides and make it strong. If you already have it planned out what you wanna do this is an hour job or less. I am goin to get something to cover up the small gap at the top of the cd player.
'92 F150, 302
Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Freshman User

79_408_Clevor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here is mine. Took about an hour with my Dremel tool cutting the plastic took the longest and finishing it. I also painted it to match the interior when I had it out, as it adds a nice clean look. The metal brackets the original radio was mounted to didnt take very long actually. Some here who are purist will advise against doing such modifications but its your truck.

LMC and some other restoration parts suppliers also sell a 2 post design radio that looks very much like the originals that requires no modifications and allows a use of a seperate cd changer, but these are a bit more costly.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Senior User

ol74hb is starting off with a positive reputation.
you can try custom autosound. looks good Ford-Lincoln-Merc- Radios
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Senior User

Greyman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ditto on the Custom Autosound radio. I have one in my 78 f250. I think it was 139.00. No cutting perfect fit and great sound. Has a am radio look when off and when on it has a digital display that lights up behind the fake tuner face. You can also get one that will control a cd changer. Mine has an aux cable plug in in the back for an ipod, ran the wire thru the ashtray hole.
1970 Torino GT conv. 351c 4speed
Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Posting Guru

Tees77f150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
Ditto on the Custom Autosound radio. I have one in my 78 f250. I think it was 139.00. No cutting perfect fit and great sound. Has a am radio look when off and when on it has a digital display that lights up behind the fake tuner face. You can also get one that will control a cd changer. Mine has an aux cable plug in in the back for an ipod, ran the wire thru the ashtray hole.
Does that aux cable plug also work for satellite radio?
300 I6, C4, Copper Metallic, built 3/77 Michigan plant.
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...ine/truck5.jpg
Old 12-04-2009, 06:54 AM
New User

TheDrewd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, this info will help a lot.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:54 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
250, 79, bracket, cd, dash, f100, f150, ford, install, mounting, player, put, radio, remove, stereo, truck