1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is this it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
wmw
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this it?

And one I believe was used with the Effies:

This is the just like the one I found the other day in my stepfather' garage. Can anyone verify this would have come from a 1953 F100 Deluxe? It did not have a handle, only what looks like an old time pipe wrench and a closed end wrench. Was there any such thing as a tire tool or just a wrench to remove the lug nuts? thanks

P.S. We also had a couple of 30 model Fords. What was used to remove their wheels?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
BR F1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have collected Ford tools for quite a few years and the jack you have pictured was most common in the late 20's and early 30's. I am not sure what the 50's Ford truck jack looked like, but I believe that the one you have is a earlier jack.

The tool that was used to remove the wheels from a 30's Ford was the combination crank and lug wrench. For the Model A it was a one piece design, but begining with the V8 model it was changed to a two piece design because of the incresed length from the front of the car to the front of the engine.

BR F1

Old 12-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well there ya go rousin' the rabble again!

I posted that picture in one of the other "Jack" threads that started earlier this week.

The picture was scanned out of a book by Don Bunn titled "Ford F-Series Pick-up Trucks 1948-1956." The picture is on page 58 and the caption reads:

"The F-Series Trucks came with a gear-and-ratchet-type jack for changing tires, although the jacks were generally used for about everything else around the farm as well. The beds were hardwood with metal runners for sliding cargo."

The picture and caption appear in the 1952 section of the book.

When I originally posted that photo in a thread about a year ago saying it had been installed on Bonus Built (F1+) trucks, I was corrected by an Effie member saying that no it was only installed in early F-100s.

In the current series of posts now folks are saying no it isn't an F-100 jack but a 1930s jack earlier. And it may have been. But it was also installed in F-100s. Look at the lenthg of time th elittle bottle jacks have been installed in trucks I have two that are identical one is original installation in my 1951 F1 the other is factory installed in my 2002 Ranger - that's 51 years - at a minimum.

Now, again, you guys need to pull your minds out of the current automotive processes and try as hard as you can to remember that accessory equipment like jacks were not installed at the factory - they were installed at the dealerhsips and were often left overs from previous years stock. Long story short, styles and types of jacks were not specific by year (just like 48-52 doors are all the same) and make but rather the result of what was on hand at the dealer. And they didn't care as long as it fit into the parts number criteria - and there were 5 different jacks designated. If the jack was one of the designated part number pool, it mounted properly on the vehicle and jacked up the truck enough to remove the tire it - they installed it.

So, it is completely possible that this jack was installed on the 53 F-100 you are talking about and your grandfathers next door neighbor who bought his 53 F-100 at a different dealer has an entirely different jack. **** hadn't been invented yet in the 1950s!

As mentioned, The Chassis Parts Catalogue calls out five (5) different types of Jacks for Bonus Built. I'm certain there were as many for the Effies.

Here's the prior thread I was refering to. Read post #18

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ocation-2.html

If that's the jack you have then I have no doubt it goes with the truck.

**** hadn't been invented yet in the 1950s!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
(just like 48-52 doors are all the same)
Actually Julie, fyi the doors on a 48 are 1/4" shorter than 49-52. If you study them you'll notice the difference. How's that for ****?