Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
New User

smoketree is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Battery Replacement BXT-65-650

My battery is going south on my 2005 King Ranch and I have not found a replacement that is maintenance free like the original BXT-65-650.

Sam's Club and Sears have batteries but I don't think I can put the original plastic cover back on over the caps. Ford manual says replace the plastic cover. I'm not sure why it's there, but it looks nice.

Any educated opinions on this.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 AM
MMC (SS) Bubblehead!

Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.
I put an Interstate replacement with 850 CCA into my 2006 FX4.

worked just perfectly. I suggest you get a 700+ CCA battery. Bigger does equal better IMO when it comes to batteries. and you're only talking about a $20 difference at most
Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Postmaster

bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.bigdaddyII has a great reputation on FTE.
I guess at some point before I bought my 2005 it had a battery cover. It was missing by the time I took possession of the truck though. My 1997 had that cover and I ended up removing it, no ill effects on either truck. I would not worry about the battery being maintenance free or not, the cover should still fit, just a little looser.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 AM
New User

Trouble I see is that with the non-maintenance free batteries you have to disconnect the cables when you want to check the battery fluid.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM
New User

To check fluid you have to remove the cover. This means disconnecting the cables.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Senior User

2004 xlt 5.4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got my battery upgraded to 850 CCA got ford battery $120 always had good luck and 4-5 years out of them.and maint. free.
and Leer cap
5 Star Tuning SCT X3 custom Tunes
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Elder User

aquaman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I recently replaced my stock battery about a month ago with a Kirkland from Costco. $72 if I remember right. 1000CCA. The one listed for our truck in the fitment guide is of a smaller battery but has a few more CCA's than stock spec; it costs $49. I got the bigger one and it fits perfectly.

3yr guaranteed replacement warranty, 100month prorated

It's manufactured by Johnson Controls--they're among the best in the industry.

I'm not sure what the plastic battery cover does, it fits with the new battery, but I left it off.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Junior User

SMok is starting off with a positive reputation.
That cover is mostly for looks in my opinion, throw it away.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 AM
New User

Sputz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I read somewhere that the plastic battery cover is to protect electronic components under the hood from the corrosion that will be caused by battery acid vapors - also to protect the battery from high heat in the engine compartment--
Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Junior User

azchris is starting off with a positive reputation.
Optima Batteries

I am switching all my vehicles to Optima batteries. They are a little bit more in cost but you do not have the acid vapor corrosion that you do with the liquid filled batteries. Even the maintenance free ones still off gas and corrode the wire connectors.

07 Mustang gt/cs
05 F-150 Lariet

New Truck - 11 F-350 CC King Ranch. Almost every option available.

AZChris
Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
65, 650, 65650, batteries, battery, bxt, bxt65650, f150, ford, king, manual, motorcraft, ranch, replacement, shop, specs, window