Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Posting Guru

FordTrucksKickGM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rusty Torsion Bar Removal

99 F-150 4x4. Anybody have any tips to get these rusty things separated from their homes? Ive got the torsion keys unloaded and loose and the cross member loose. They will not budge. Aside from getting a bigger hammer and abusing the cross member till something gives Im out of ideas. Well I do have another idea but I dont like using the torch on heat treated components
Old 12-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
i would soak it with PB blaster--- or you can put 50% acetone and trans fluid in a pump sprayer and will act as a good penetrant... loosen the rust, let it soak in, smack a few times with a big hammer to get the parts to loosen up.
2001 SuperCrew 4 x 4 5.4 XLT -235K miles -GONE
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Posting Guru

FordTrucksKickGM is starting off with a positive reputation.
I tried PB & Liquid Wrench. Had it soaking for days. The 10lb hammer couldnt budge it and I didnt want to bang up the cross member any more so last night I broke out the torch and melted the stupid things off. The torsion bars still seem to be ok. Im putting in new keys so I dont really need the old ones any ways. I will be sanding the bars tonight and using a liberal amount of antisieze on the new keys. Boy Id like to get ahold of the moron that came up with the torsion bar idea.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 PM
New User

Uthinkso is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm late to the party here, but I was curious how you ended up getting them loose. I see you used the ole smoke wrench (torch), but what else did you used to push them through so they would release the key?

Did you slide the torsion bars out of the front position as well? My truck has 140k on it so I'm just going to replace the bars when I get them out anyway.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Senior User

mizzleman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Uthinkso,

I had the same issue with my '99 4x4. I ended up removing the A-Arms with the torsion bars still on them. Once they were out I soaked them with WD-40, PB-blaster etc. After a few good hits with an 8lb hammer, I used a 12-ton hydraulic puller to push the bars out of the arms.

I then sanded them down, used Rust-converter, and then primed and painted them as well as the keys. I used wd-40 on the install so if I ever have to pull them apart, it will be a lot easier.

I had to pull the A-Arms out anyway to replace the lower ball joints on the truck for a failed state inspection. My ball-joint press wasn't large enough to get them out while the arms were on the truck.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
New User

Uthinkso is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a few projects I want to get done at the same time. So I usually get extra parts on hand just in case. I'm going to do the Belltech kit and exhaust at the same time. I will post some pics on this when I do it. I noticed that nobody has done the DYI Torsion Bar Removal yet.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 PM
New User

BFH is starting off with a positive reputation.

sry to bring this thread to life again.. ive had a 98, 01, and 03 f 150 all in witch ive taken the torsion bars out, the 01 was the first, ended up cutting them out, and putting new ones in also a arms , and this weekend going to attempt to do it on the 03, ive been spraying them for 2 months now every day in attempt to not buy more parts, (trying to get the transfercase out to replace a cracked extension housing from god knows what) when i finaly got rid of the 98 i cut the frame to get the x member out along with the torsion bars and a arms out all in one, (truck went in for scrap due to a nice accident) and its been almost 2 years now of hitting the ***** out of them with a big ole custom 20 lb hammer and to this day they have not once budged. the x member is all bent to he!! and the god forsaken a arms or keys refuse to let there death grip, seriously, WTF was ford thinking when they designed them,,, no antiseez? or anything?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM
New User

BinfordToolman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 99 F150, 138k miles, transfer case is bad, torsion bars rust/welded in place..... soaked them , beat them, they haven't budged. My thoughts were to either heat them with a torch or remove the front A-arms. I am just a little unsure as to where I should heat, at the cross member where the keys are or at the front A-arm?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Senior User

jyount is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old thread I know guys, kudos to you for actually using the search though instead of beating a dead horse... Heat the keys. If you do have to replace them they are cheaper than the arms Use a combo of heat and gear oil to penetrate it. The gear oil stinks, but it doesn't flash off like penetrating oil does. The heat draws the oil to it.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Freshman User

CollinF is starting off with a positive reputation.
To the guys pulling t-cases. The easy way is to leave the tbars alone. Unbolt the trans cross member. Then use a jack to push the trans/drivetrain up a little bit. The t-case then will clear the t-bar cross member enough to be slid back. Then down and out towards the front.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Junior User

Malakilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinF View Post
To the guys pulling t-cases. The easy way is to leave the tbars alone. Unbolt the trans cross member. Then use a jack to push the trans/drivetrain up a little bit. The t-case then will clear the t-bar cross member enough to be slid back. Then down and out towards the front.
I am attempting this method right now. Looks pretty tight, but I am optimistic.
I'll post up results. Maybe even make another youtube video explaining it.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Junior User

Malakilla is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinF View Post
The only viable way of that working is if you have a dual exhaust. The cross over 100% prevents that from happening.

The Torsion bar keys have a dent hole for a puller to be used to lift them up, then the key stop can be removed, and the tension can be taken off and maybe pounded off. Wish me luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
1999, 97, 98, bar, bars, f150, ford, forum, keys, removal, remove, removing, rusted, tips, torsion