Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

new owner with questions (water fuel separator)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:50 AM
6ta1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new owner with questions (water fuel separator)

Hi,

I just bought a 1992 7.3 F250 4wd (non turbo)

There are a few things I am going to fix, and I have been having a hard time finding a repair manual for this engine so far.

My first question will be regarding the water fuel separator.
Mine is mounted on the top of the engine, passenger side.

My issue is that there a line coming from the bottom of the engine that I am not sure where to connect (I found it unplug). There is a fitting on the left of the separator that is not used (covered with a cap), and there is also a fitting at the bottom of the separator.

Can anyone help?

Also, the ground wire for the separator is cut... wonder if the previous owner wanted to bypass it?

Old 11-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Coolball
Senior User
Hello welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert here and someone that has the knowledge will chime in on this but there is also lots of good reading on here about the IDI motors so you might take some time and browse the forum and you will be amazed at the knowledge of the members here.

Onto your question I believe just from reading posts on here about the 7.3 it has the water/fuel separator built into the fuel filter and that is the unit your talking about. You should have two lines, one from the bottom of the motor which is the fuel feed and the other feeds the injection pump on the front of the motor. The plug on the bottom is the water drain for the unit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As to why one port is capped off ???? someone on here will get you going probably with better information that I can give.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM
JHoffman93
Senior User
I have a 93 and I don't have a water separator, just a filter with a water drain. I think that Coolball may be right. I think your looking at the fuel filter and the line on the bottom of the filter is the water drain. Can't remember what the wire if for, seems like it might be a wire to to give you a light in the cab if you have water in the filter.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
6ta1,
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

The newer style 87 and up motors use a filter/water seperator combination unit.
The line from the bottom of the engine would be the fuel supply line from the stock lift pump.

The wire to the bottom piece of the filter is for the water in fuel light on the dash.
Some of the newer trucks had a filter restriction light, if it was not installed the port was plugged with a pipe plug.
In that line of ports you should also have a return line and a schrader valve to bleed air from the filter.
On the top of the unit, there is another connection for the fuel heater.

The hose from the bottom is the water drain which is opened ny turning the valve.
I have seen both lever type and thumb wheel valve controls on the drain.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6ta1
Hi,

I just bought a 1992 7.3 F250 4wd (non turbo)

There are a few things I am going to fix, and I have been having a hard time finding a repair manual for this engine so far.

My first question will be regarding the water fuel separator.
Mine is mounted on the top of the engine, passenger side.

My issue is that there a line coming from the bottom of the engine that I am not sure where to connect (I found it unplug). There is a fitting on the left of the separator that is not used (covered with a cap), and there is also a fitting at the bottom of the separator.

Can anyone help?

Also, the ground wire for the separator is cut... wonder if the previous owner wanted to bypass it?
6ta1,
Sounds like your fuel filter/water separator is the same as mine. The detached line you refer to just reroutes the water/fuel when the separator is drained. The line connects to a piece which snaps onto the bottom of the separator, this is also where the valve is. The other fitting on the bottom is where the "water in fuel" sensor is attached and lights on your dash. The other fitting on the side is open the system which allows air in so the separator will drain.
It sounds like your missing the piece which connects the valve/drain to the deflector line. No big deal, just put a jar or can under it to catch the water fuel.
To drain the separator first open the valve under the separator then remove the cover from the side fitting and depress the pin.
Hope this helps. Scott

Old 11-28-2009, 11:24 AM
6ta1
New User
thanks all for your help!

I agree, the line I see at the bottom not connected is probably for the drain, I will check exactly where it ends.

Regarding the wire, I have figured it out by myself the hard way. So yes it is the water in fuel sensor, and if it touches a mass the engine shuts down (I guess it's a security)

I'll try to fix that. Thanks for the community, great help, and it gives me motivation to bring the truck back to its best

Old 11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
6ta1

"My issue is that there a line coming from the bottom of the engine that I am not sure where to connect (I found it unplug). There is a fitting on the left of the separator that is not used (covered with a cap), and there is also a fitting at the bottom of the separator. "

This almost sounds like the fuel filter has been bypassed, Not good!!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Going from left to right, schrader valve, return line and filter restriction sensor.

If the sensor was not there the port would have a pipe plug in it.