1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil Cooler How To...since it's that time of year.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:49 PM
lhud
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
These new advanced better quailty o-rings be have now helps a good measure but has anybody though of using a bead of hi-temp black Permatex around both o-rings itself for added measure. I t just sounds like a great idea. Might give it a whirl when mine gives up the ghost..
O-rings are designed to move (expand and contract). Using the RTV or equivalent will only lock the o-ring in place and limit its movement. O-rings need only some proper lubricant when installed and they should be fine. Also, this might encourage some pieces of the RTV to flow through the radiator or even the oil cooler tubes and possibly cause some restrictions.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Originally Posted by LeoJr
What are the earliest symptoms of coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant?

I know that water in oil whips into a gray colored mayonnaise, but is there a way to detect a leaking oil cooler before it gets this bad?
I had none of that, just an external leak I wanted to fix. If you haven't done it since you've owned your truck, I would just do it for good measure. Parts are cheap enough and it's simple to do. The piece of mind is worth it to me.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Thanks for bringing this up guys. my oil cooler will puke about 1/2 a cup of oil out when it's colder than 10 degrees.. time to fix her up.. guess I need to finish painting my cummins frame and pull it outta the shop to make room

Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Ok, stupid question:

I don't have "trans-gel" or vasoline on hand.

Can I use regular grease or di-electric grease?

(Or just go to the flippin store to buy vasoline.)

Old 10-11-2011, 03:29 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ToMang07
Ok, stupid question:

I don't have "trans-gel" or vasoline on hand.

Can I use regular grease or di-electric grease?

(Or just go to the flippin store to buy vasoline.)
Clean motor oil will work.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Clean motor oil will work.
Even better! Thanks!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The moly lube for ARP bolts works wonders on o-rings!

I've had to replace oil coolers because of rust. Twice on our 94.5 idi so far!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
UncleRock
New User
Great info

Did this repair sat10-15-2011
Have about $135. that includes everything, even the gal of val 15-40
Got a good cooler tube from Shorts towing & salvage, got O-rings and Gaskets from Guzzle on this site. Taped off oil ports with duct tape, cleaned the thing with fast purple, then wire brushed it. Had some high temp off white BBQ grill paint, so I shot a few coats on the tube.
Cleaned all the water passages with a piece of fence wire.
Put on the new O-rings
Lubed the ends with Vasoline, put the filter end on 1st because it had the tabs.
Put it open end on rag on floor and just centered myself and let the weight my on it. went on with a positive feel. (There are no locator tabs on the front so I needed it on to line up) then with a block of wood and shop rag to level out the surface, did same on other end.
Did a few contortions and a little cussing.
But got the old one out and the new one in without even jacking up the truck.
EXTRA SUPER THANKS TO WHOEVER LISTED THAT YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT UNBOLTING THE ENGINE."
I laid there shifted it, twisted it, pulling it back each time I had clearance. Twist some more, work it back bingo out she came"
Took me more time to get the front gasket and 2 bolts in then it did to get the part out then back in past the obstructions. (I put the fresh part in before I even scraped the old gaskets off, while it was fresh in my head)
Put everything back together started up let it run, then road test.
1 thing about the off white grill paint, if there is even a hint of leak I'll see it, you can see my greasy finger prints on it
Rock

Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Took me more time to get the front gasket and 2 bolts in then it did to get the part out then back in past the obstructions.
Good job.

To create more room to get to the 2 front bolts I loosen up the 5 mounting bolts for the power steering & alternator bracket. Don't remove them, just get them real loose and slide the whole bracket forward. You do have to remove the serpentine belt. You will be surprised at how much more access this will give you to get to the front 2 bolts and gasket.

Torque power steering bracket bolts to 35 lb/ft.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Good job.

To create more room to get to the 2 front bolts I loosen up the 5 mounting bolts for the power steering & alternator bracket. Don't remove them, just get them real loose and slide the whole bracket forward. You do have to remove the serpentine belt. You will be surprised at how much more access this will give you to get to the front 2 bolts and gasket.

Torque power steering bracket bolts to 35 lb/ft.
I actually did take it off, and just moved it back (without stressing the lines too much) out of the way for very easy access to the front flange. Made it real easy!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Old 10-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Im thinking you cant do that if you have the upper coolant hose installed for the dual alternaters without taking it off and loosing coolant can you?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 AM
UncleRock
New User
From the bottom

I went in from underneath.
Did not jack up truck or pull any extra parts.
Used 2 @ 2gal buckets + 1" open end wrench took out block heater and drained coolant.
Put them out of the way put in oil drain pan, and pulled oil filter with strap wrench. Go have cup-a-joe while that drained.
Took circular saw cut top board off a pallet to correct size and cut a V into 1 end. Made a few of these and used them to hold up the plastic wheel well liner (V side up flat side on frame)
Took 3/8 drive set up with sockets, 1/2 doz assorted extensions, a swivel, a ratchet, a breaker bar and a cheater pipe.
Unbolted front @ 2, the rear @ 3, part took it out, put new part up then scraped gaskets, w/gasket knife. (If your laying on your back goin nuts cause the socket wont fit on this last bolt on the rear, there maybe a plugged port for a oil temp sensor, right beside the forward most bolt on the filter block. Since ya are doing it by feel and cant really see dont ask how I know this)
Got the rear bolts started loosely, moved to the front.
The hardest part of the job was gettin the front bolts started. This got easier when I unlocked the ignition and turned the wheels all the way right and locked them there. (Had I pulled the tire it would have been a snap, well maybe not a snap but much easier!)
Once all in torque to spec.
Now if someone could just give me a short cut on this (before I tear everything off the front)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ed-a-guru.html

Last edited by UncleRock; 10-20-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: add link
Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Im thinking you cant do that if you have the upper coolant hose installed for the dual alternaters without taking it off and loosing coolant can you?
I have the around the belt upper rad hose and is why I just loosened the bolts and moved the bracket forward. I get to the bottom bolt from
underneath and the upper bolt from above.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the around the belt upper rad hose and is why I just loosened the bolts and moved the bracket forward. I get to the bottom bolt from underneath and the upper bolt from above.
Thats what I have also. Good to know that I can do this with out taking the upper rad hose off. Thanks

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler How To...since it's that time of year.