6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

deployed and need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:08 AM
bozzo152
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deployed and need help

Ok I am a in the army and deployed when I return I would like to buy a f250 with the 6.4 but I what to know what problems any one has with it I want it all the good and the bad please help <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

Old 11-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Reave1
Senior User
First of all, god bless you and all your brothers overseas. We thank you for your sacrifices to give us the privlages of freedom. That being said, the 6.4 is an overall great motor compared to its predecessors. I will list the drawbacks as I see them, and I hope that others will offer their opinions and add to the list so you can make a solid decision on the truck.

1. Fuel Mileage is poor.
2. Some early builds had bad radiators and needed replacement.
3. oil change and acceptable levels. The truck makes oil due to the regen process and it alters the oil level and makes it very easy to have an overfull crankcase if you put in too much at an oil change. I found that 14 qts was the magic number.
4. Hesitation in rainy weather. Without going into a dissertation see the tech folder in the front of the forum to see what this applies to.

Now for me that is all I have delt with, and compared to the laundry list on my 6.0 I feel this truck is incredible. I love my truck and smile every time I get in it. I hope you can find the same feeling. Stay tuned because I belive this thread will get some good additions.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:33 AM
waverunner800
Senior User
I have 18k on mine (2008 Job 3 F350 CC LWB 4X4 6.4l), and no problems so far. As Reave1 stated, don't expect stellar fuel mileage. These things weigh a ton (er, actually about 4 tons!!). I bought mine a little over a year ago to replace my 2005 F150 for towing my toy hauler. Couldn't be happier, even though I loved my F150.
Oh, if you get the 8-foot bed, you won't like it small/crowded parking lots, but I hate those anway, because it means I'm not in the boonies anymore!

Stay safe over there, and thanks for serving!! Good luck on your search for a new truck!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:15 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
I know it has been stated already but thanks to you and all the others serving our country to preserve the way we live. Stay safe.

Other than some minor items I have not had any problems with mine and love it.

Definately start with the tech file. There is a lot of info there.

Fuel mileage is not great but these trucks are built to tow and haul. When working my truck I am only about 1.5 miles/gal off from my '06. What you get will definately depend on several variables.

Solid, awesome handling, awesome towing and most comfortable 1 ton I have ever driven.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Yes from one veteran to another, thanks for your service. The 6.4 is a good motor and the truck that is wrapped around it great.

This is the type of truck that will work hard for you. In my opinion it is designed for heavy work. On the road pulling or hauling. coast to coast. country roads those sorts of things.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
sacu
Junior User
If you are buying new don't forget to price out a truck at the Ford website and then have your MWR services price you out one also, remember you have to pay state taxes when you register the truck and that adds up. You will most likely have to sell your old vehicle outright.
I didn't buy one when I was overseas but did get a good deal on a one year lease vehicle that was turned in.
These are really nice trucks. I haven't had any trouble with mine but I do notice the extra weight when driving around and at the diesel pumps.
Stay safe

Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
I love mine too...but sometimes the harmonic metal ticking sound will drive me insane if I start to hear it my brain can not ignore it. It is "CAPTIVATING" in a most annoying way.

Also some have found the CAB COMES OFF FOR MAINTENANCE to kind of be a downer around the area where I live.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Tawn
Senior User
Buy / Order it through the PX while you are deployed - I was going to buy mine while I was in Guam and drug my feet. Once home I took the exchange price to a couple of dealers and asked if the could even come close - they laughed at me! Take advantage of the PX/Exchange system and buy it now.

I only have about 18,000 on mine, bought it with 17,000 on it - and thus far I dearly love it.

Keep your head down
STSCM(SS) Tawn, U.S. Navy