1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New to form - 59 f100 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
BMANS59
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing I have to back up that is was a '60 was what the guy who's "yard" we dug it out of (it was buried to the axles) told us it was, but even that was backed up by the compatibility of the interior parts we used on the final truck. Dash pieces were all "drop-in" to both the 59 and 58 cabs we had, so I never questioned it.
Looking back, I wish I had spent more time documenting things when we built this, but as this was the first time either of us had ever dabbled in this area, we were more focused on building something that looked and ran good while trying to keep as many things as close to original as we could.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 PM
BMANSDAD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BMANS59
The only thing I have to back up that is was a '60 was what the guy who's "yard" we dug it out of (it was buried to the axles) told us it was, but even that was backed up by the compatibility of the interior parts we used on the final truck. Dash pieces were all "drop-in" to both the 59 and 58 cabs we had, so I never questioned it.
Looking back, I wish I had spent more time documenting things when we built this, but as this was the first time either of us had ever dabbled in this area, we were more focused on building something that looked and ran good while trying to keep as many things as close to original as we could.
Sorry for any confusion on profiles. I have been traveling and when checking the forums could have sworn I used BMANS59 for a login. All BMANS59 are indeed my postings. Deleting the second profile so I don't do this again.

"Too many windows, too few brain cells"

Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 AM
idaho211
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Back to that ID code. If you have the data plate on the glove box door, after the color letter there should be a F180 or F190 for 59 which is the model code, which is kind of between the color and date spaces. This indicates f100 4x4. 1960 had F103 or 104, 105. Your Vin number starting with F10 is the series code. My two 4x4's a 59 and 60 both have f10 and f25 but have the correct model codes for 4x4. Another way to tell is the original 4x4 cab has a triangular reinforcement plate that runs from the rear door pilar down to the floor behind the seat. I believe it was to add some stiffness to the cab due to the frame flexing. Hope this helps. Keep us up to date about your project.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
BMANSDAD
Freshman User
Excellent info...I'll be "hands on" again in approx 10 days.
Thanks !

Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM
BMANSDAD
Freshman User
Finally got the truck to it's new home in Colorado. Seems I was mistaken on how long it had been sitting, closer to 6 years than the 1-1/2 I had thought. Uncovered and exposed took it's toll, especially on the bed. When I got there it had over 2 foot of Mulberry leaves rotting out the wood in the bed. That lead to some nice rust where the lower seems are. Oh well, on to the good news. Installed a battery, pulled the plugs and dropped some oil down the holes and cranked it just a smidge...turned over nice and easy. Ran some marvel down the choke and cranked a little more. Dropped 5 gallons into the tank (fortunately Poppy drained it before parking it), re-installed the plugs, it it fired right up. Engaged the front hubs (to splash a little fluid around), drove it around the block a few times before hitting the neighborhood car wash to clear off as much of the last 6 years exposure as I could before driving it onto the trailer.
Once we got it to Colorado, I was pleased to report it fired right up and didn't seem to mind the altitude difference much. Drove it off the trailer and couldn't get it to go anywhere with the 14 year old tires and snow/ice covered road. Time to test the 4 wheel drive. Took a little persuasion to get the transfer case lever to move, but once into 4 wheel drive, everything hooked up and off we went into the driveway. Getting it out of 4 wheel took even more persuasion.

Overall operational issues I have noted so far:
-Wiper motor dead (it's an original one)
-Dash lights do not come on with the headlights, but do come on when the key is turned to run...only to go back out once the motor is running
-VERY difficult to get out of 4 wheel drive, but much easier to place into 4 wheel drive
-idles rough, but doesn't die. Much smoother than anticipated after sitting for so long.

Now, Based on info from members of this site, it is beginning to appear that this may not be an actual Ford 4x4. I included a shot of the piller along with the glove box plate. I'll get it washed up and out of the cramped carport sometime soon and retake pictures. Some pics are posted here Bmans59

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
jbell110
Junior User
I just bought one of these as well, wish mine looked like yours.
I've got lots & lots of work to do. Rust being the main issue.
But its complete & runs which is a start !!!!

Jeff

Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Ok, after viewing your vin plate. I have more questions than answers. My 59's in storage so I can't compare it to my plate.

After the color code DE, there is F18C which is the model code(it does not say model on your plate for some reason?) I'm using a 1957-63 parts catalog and it does not show a model for that code?

I would like to use a 1959 parts and accessories catalog to compare against my 1957-63 parts book as far as the model code is concerned.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 AM
idaho211
Tuned
The parts and accessories book states f180 as a f100 4x4. I wonder though I have seen true factory f100 4x4's and there are stamped F18C. Could it be a type o in the parts and accessory book? My f100 4x4 is stamped f18C and my 3/4 ton 4x4 is f253. All of these are model codes not the beginning of the vin number. I know the f100 is a factory 4x4 due to knowing its history and it has the triangular supports in the cab as well as all matching drive train, steering box, radiator support springs, etc.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 AM
idaho211
Tuned
I looked at my 59 parts and accessories catalog and the picture of the data plate does not have the word model stamped on it. It does have though that F18 is a f100 4x4. Their example has a F84F and they explain is a f800 model with a heavy duty front axle. In 57-63 parts and acc book. the model codes states it should be f180. I wonder if the C is the front axle code for 59's. I couldn't see low enough though in your pictures of the cab. It should have a triangular piece of metal welded to the rear door pillar then angled down to the floor. It then has 3 bolts that are bolted to the floor. Could the cab be replaced? I think that is the only difference between 2 WD cabs and 4WD cabs are the triangular supports. Anyway I think according to the ford 59 parts and accessory book the F18 denotes a f100 4x4. I think though the truck is great looking and good to know you got it home safe. Keep us posted of your progress.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Very interesting, It wouldn't be the first time I have seen a mis-print. If you look at his plate, right before his rear axle code 02(3.89:1) there is a A stamped and that is the front axle code for (3.89:1) so I don't know what the C After F18 means. The GVW seems to match for a 1959 4x4

On your factory 4x4, what does the vin start out like?

I would like to see a picture of this reinforcement plate, -4speed

Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 AM
idaho211
Tuned
Beginning VIN is F10

WB 118

Color G

Model F18C

Date 27B

Trans A

Axle 02A

Max GVW 05600

Cert HP 158

RPM 4000

I think BMANSDAD has a factory 4x4 if the VIN matches the data plate on the glove box and the stamp of the VIN on the frame. He could have a different cab. I got rid of the cab on my 59 but I will send you a picture of my 60 4x4 cab which the reinforcement plates are the same if I can figure out how to send. Give me a couple of days.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM
BMANSDAD
Freshman User
I'll crawl around and find the VIN off of the frame as well as get photos lower down the pillar. I know we tossed the 59 cab due to its condition and the rectangular turn signals (the round ones are so much nicer looking). We had a totaled 58 and most of a 60 crew we pulled parts from. This was over 14 years ago, but I do remember that the 59 was the only complete truck we had when we started and we did what we could to keep it as "59" as possible, so I would assume that we kept the 59 glove box door as it had the data plate.
Where would I be looking on the frame for the stamp?

Mr4 and Idaho, I cant express my appreciation for your willingness to share your time and knowledge, so THANKS!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
idaho211
Tuned
The vin number is stamped on the top of the passengeer side of the frame in the engine compartment in front of the firewall. Good luck with your truck and let us know how it is going.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
BMANSDAD
Freshman User
Not seeing anything stamped on either frame rail, on top, underneath, inside, etc... I'll look more when it's not 9 degrees outside. I will most likely not be doing much with the truck until spring other than fixing the leaky fuel pump and possibly carb/headers (ramhorn maybe, I do like the way they look) and getting rid of those damn points. Poor thing is gutless at this altitude (9k) once your outta 3rd. I'll be picking the forum's brains for suggestions.

Be happy, I'm giving my sister my 75-3/4 K5 I've had for 23 years to make room for my first Ford. Hope it's worth it.

Thanks Again!

-Dave

Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Ok I'm going to call numberdummy out on his info. Here is the registry for 1957-60 ford trucks LOVEfords - 1957-1960 Ford F-100 Registry* Data

There's over 300 trucks on there, alot claim to be 4x4s yet every single vin starts with F10 or f25 there's not a F18 or F19 insight! Care to explain bill?

Quick Reply: New to form - 59 f100 4x4