Opinions: Kenwood DDX514

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 AM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions: Kenwood DDX514

Hey all I was wondering if anyone had this head unit or had any info on it. I'm looking at it for my truck and seems to be a great set up and options for add ons. Any info is a help, Thanks

Heres a link for it on Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX5....html?tp=20217

Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
Absolutely love mine. Have had it for a few months, I was between the ddx514 & the ddx714. Only options i have on it right now (until Santa comes) are the ipod connector and the pac swi. I am still figuring out stuff that it does. I have an older ipod touch that i leave hooked up in my center console that holds all my music and the kids movies. Never have any problems in the expy with not being able to see the screen (it is a little bright at night). I have not tried any other inputs except for the usb (have to unplug the ipod) and it worked fine for music, but will only read mpeg1 movie format) also i tried to daisy chain a second monitor, but had issues with the pacswi and think I hooked it up wrong. I am pulling it to add the resistors for the amp turn on and hopefully adding more accessories so I will check it then. After Xmas or soon after I will have the bluetooth kit and some type of camera). I chose the 514 because I wanted to have a **** to reach over and turn down. I wanted the larger screen of the 714, but did not want to give up the **** (petty, but it was a deal breaker for me even though I knew I would add the bluetooth that the 714 comes with). One gripe i have is that it takes a few seconds to power up and come on, also it loses the ipod touch sometimes and I have to disconnect - but that could be an ipod problem because it sits in the truck all of the time and gets hot in FL. I looked at at some alpine, jvc, eclipse, clarion and have owned almost all brands in a previous life, but liked almost all of the things about the kenwood the most. Let me know if you have specific questions as I believe an 05 F150 and my 06 Expy have similar dashes and wiring (might be wrong, my F150 was the older body style). Hope this helps, Mike.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:38 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

Helps a lot Mike thanks, I also (even if its petty) like the **** and sounds like it will be perfect for what I want. What is the pac swi your referring too?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
it is used to retain steering wheel controls (not sure if F150s have them). It works okay - but not great. Also they sent me one from a bad batch so had to rewire some stuff with the over the phone. Not a big deal, but ended up spending a lot more time expected on the install because of that.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

ok got ya I do has the steering wheel controls I'd have to check into that.... Thanks agian

Old 11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

Ordered one today thanks Mike, I'll have to get the pac-swi later when I build up some funds again LOL

Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
Congrats - you will not be disappointed. Mine has exceeded my expectations. The pac-swi (I could take it or leave it, but mine will stay in when I take it out to add the other toys). Should have said earlier to make sure you get a dash kit and wiring harness if you are doing the install yourself. Makes it a lot easier and, if our dashes are the same, it really is plug n play. I dont recall having any issues with the install aside from figuring out how to get my dash out and having to unplug everything and having to pull it again because I forgot to plug the dash lights back in. Well - and the issues with the Pac adapter. Let me know if you have questions and I will help if i'm able - but the unit is very user intuitive and will give you separate subwoofer control if your factory system has a sub. If not - its not a bad idea to drop some cables while the dash is out. remote and rca's would be the common ones. Enjoy, Mike.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

Thanks I did order the dash kit and harness I've been that road before its definetly the way to go....