Sponsored by: DP Tuner

cruise control and od question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 AM
draven83
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control and od question

I have a XL model truck with no power anything. I would like to add cruise to it for when i drive my 500+ miles home to NY from VA. Where can i get the module from or anything?

When should i drive with od on and od off? Im new to trucks.

Thank You
Chris

Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. As far as your OD question.. leave it OD.. If your trans starts going back and forth between 3rd and 4th (OD), then at that point turn off the OD until you get away from the hills..

Old 11-29-2009, 01:05 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You might try your Ford dealer for the cruise control.

I bought a kit at the dealer to add cruise to my wife's car. The kit included everything needed and looked factory origional for around $325. That was for a Dodge Neon but Ford might have one for your truck.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM
draven83
Freshman User
ill have to call tomorrow. thanks

Old 11-30-2009, 02:23 AM
kevinwilly
Senior User
I added it to my XL truck a few months ago.

Dealers no longer make the conversion kit.

The only thing you need is a steering wheel and clockspring, and the rest is already there.

I ended up buying a new steering column that included the wheel and airbag and everything. It was 175 bucks at a truck salvage yard. It also was a tilt column, which I did not have, so it was WELL worth it.

The only other thing you need to do is figure out what you want to do about the sensor that is supposed to be on the master cylinder, as there is no way to put it on the master cylinders for non-cruise trucks.

The kit from ford came with a switch and wiring to hook it up inside the cabin on the brake pedal.

I looked at the wiring and noticed it was redundant to the switch on the brake pedal that controls the brake lights, and it is a normally closed switch, so i just put a jumper across the connector under the hood, and the cruise works perfect.

If you need any help, let me know via PM. I've done all the legwork and it was VERY time consuming. I'd be glad to put all this knowledge to work.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
draven83
Freshman User
im going to have to go look at the salvage yard tomorrow then. Its raining here now. that seems a little easier to do than to buy a kit from jc whittny.