6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Wix vs Motorcraft oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Why You Should Use OEM Oil & Fuel Filters In The 6.0L PSD

Check out the You-Tube video below:

I have this one booked marked, but could not find it until now.

This was a Racor/Ford training video released to dealers to explain why using a Racor/Motorcraft is so vital (to the 6.0L PSD).

After watching this video, I am sure you will now completely understand why many of us here at FTE are so passionate about using OEM oil and fuel filters with the 6.0L PSD motors!!!

Enjoy,

YouTube - Richmond Ford MotorCraft 6.0L Filter

Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Check out the You-Tube video below:

I have this one booked marked, but could not find it until now.

This was a Racor/Ford training video released to dealers to explain why using a Racor/Motorcraft is so vital (to the 6.0L PSD).

After watching this video, I am sure you will now completely understand why many of us here at FTE are so passionate about using OEM oil and fuel filters with the 6.0L PSD motors!!!

Enjoy,

YouTube - Richmond Ford MotorCraft 6.0L Filter

Jeff, I beg to differ. There will still be the few that know better. I think you know what I mean. The almighty dollar is more important till the big one bites them.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by 69cj
Jeff, I beg to differ. There will still be the few that know better. I think you know what I mean. The almighty dollar is more important till the big one bites them.
I agree....

Amazing how racor and Ford can publish bulletins and videos to document the "issues" with will-fit filters and people will still think they know better.

What really gets "my goat" is people that can buy or "finance" a Super-Duty truck but can't afford the maintanence or try to skimp on it for a few bucks... or spend their money on performance parts and still complain about Ford, their dealer or OEM parts.

It's one thing is a new user comes here to learn, but it's amazing that some who have been here for months or years still try to skimp and then justify why... or complain when an issue happens.

I now have 160,000 miles and I have only done the following repairs:

1) ICP sensor (slow leak of oil).

2) Alternator

3) Transmission temp sensor (159,000 miles)

4) Front bearing/hub assemblies (160,000 miles)

5) New HFCM fuel assembly (157,000 miles)

6) Upper and lower ball joints

I am very happy with my truck and at 160,000 miles, I am expecting things to wear out from time to time. I think that in the spring I may be due for a new EGR valve and intake cleaning?

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend,

Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the title of this thread is "Wix vs Motorcraft Oil Filters", the first link provided to powerstrokehelp should have answered the question since the filter that failed was a Wix filter. That's all I need to see.

Let's say I save $5 by going with the Wix filter over the Motorcraft filter. If the filter fails as documented by powerstrokehelp, you're looking at probably a minimum $2000 repair bill. I could buy 400 Motorcraft filters with that money by spending the extra cash on the better filter! The risk/reward just isn't there for me to go with anything other than Racor/Motorcraft filter.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There are different types of people those that know what they or what was used parts wise on their truck. I don't always change my own oil but I know where to get it changed with the correct part. Some go get the buy one specials or go to any jiffy spunky munkey oilchange that is local or convient. Bottom line most people that risk a/m filters to save money I seriously doubt are brand loyal. I think most will agree that it would take more than one filter change save something catastrophic with the filter to have a problem. This is why there is a debate on oil filters and airfilters.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
Since the title of this thread is "Wix vs Motorcraft Oil Filters", the first link provided to powerstrokehelp should have answered the question since the filter that failed was a Wix filter. That's all I need to see.

Let's say I save $5 by going with the Wix filter over the Motorcraft filter. If the filter fails as documented by powerstrokehelp, you're looking at probably a minimum $2000 repair bill. I could buy 400 Motorcraft filters with that money by spending the extra cash on the better filter! The risk/reward just isn't there for me to go with anything other than Racor/Motorcraft filter.
Finally! Someone has seen the light and understands there is no reason to run the aftermarket crap on these engines. You can get away with it on the gas burners, and maybe on the old IDI engines...but your asking for trouble when your running these "high strung" engines. And for the record, it would take you close to 2 million miles to use all those filters. I've yet to see anyone get 1 million without an overhaul, though if they have...(A) my hat's off to you and (B) they've been rather quite about it.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmm, I'm really glad I found this thread. Just getting ready to change oil on my 05. Last time I tossed in a wix because I've been a wix guy for quite some time.

I do buy the motorcraft superduty 15W40 diesel engine oil. I guess i'll swing up to the ford dealer tomorrow & pick up a motorcraft oil filter & probably due for an air filter too.

Does the motorcraft oil filter come with a new cap?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,470 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Originally Posted by northerndave
Hmm, I'm really glad I found this thread. Just getting ready to change oil on my 05. Last time I tossed in a wix because I've been a wix guy for quite some time.

I do buy the motorcraft superduty 15W40 diesel engine oil. I guess i'll swing up to the ford dealer tomorrow & pick up a motorcraft oil filter & probably due for an air filter too.

Does the motorcraft oil filter come with a new cap?
The Ford/International/Racor oil filter does not come with a cap. If you tossed your original cap because the Wix filter you used previously came with its own cap, then you will have to pay extra for the OEM cap. I have heard they are somewhat expensive, but do not know the actual price.

The cap will be cheaper at an International Dealership - part # 1813354C3 (IIRC).

Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM
northerndave
Elder User
dammit!

Well thanks for the reply, I think I probably still have the OEM cap out in my shop.

I'll have to look for it.

I use a waste oil burning furnace to heat my shop so I usually set all of my filters in a pan by my big oil tank so they can fully drain. With any luck my OEM cap is sitting in that pan.

Fingers crossed .

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM
northerndave
Elder User
checked out in the shop, my old filter & filter cover/cap are gone

I looked on rock auto & they sell a replacement cap. Dorman brand for 30 bucks.

I'll call the ford shop tomorrow & check on a motorcraft cap.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by northerndave
checked out in the shop, my old filter & filter cover/cap are gone

I looked on rock auto & they sell a replacement cap. Dorman brand for 30 bucks.

I'll call the ford shop tomorrow & check on a motorcraft cap.
I don't want to sound like I'm beating a dead horse...but you really should check your local International/Navistar (IH) dealership. You would be buying OEM parts at a much lower cost compared to Ford. I don't see where Ford could denial your warranty because your using IH parts; and I haven't heard of anyone having that problem. Don't get me wrong, if you want to spend the money at Ford, go ahead...but if you went to IH you could save some serous cash.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Buy the OEM oil filter cap from Ford or Int'l.

Using an aftermarket cap is just as bad as an aftermarket filter.

After 6 years here at FTE and the 6.0L thread.... there are plenty of threads and Youtube videos showing what happens by using non-OEM filters and caps.

Best place to buy Motorcraft oil filters is your local Walmart. They cost $19.00/ea (regular everyday cost).

Good luck.....

Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 AM
da-bees
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck referenced in the origional post went to the shop for an unrelated service last week. I expressed the consurne regarding difference in oil appearance at varing times. When I picked it up the service manager told me it was corrected and should never reoccure. The issue is not with filters whatsoever and not all that uncommon nor difficult to remedy according to him. It appears owners should not be so smug that no harm will come to thier engine if they are using only origional equipment manufactures products. I do believe if you read about breakdowns people have experienced,many happened despite the truck beeing 100% O.E. Best advice I heard here is if you don't know,follow the owners manual and don't rely on strangers to tell you what to install on your truck or pour in your fluids and fuel.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 AM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CONCERN, Smug, Owners Manual and Service Managers with Crystal *****!

Da-Bees,

Rarely do I get on a soap box but I have no choice but to step up and say WTF and where is your thinking?

First, does your service manager (SM) have a crystal ball that he/she can guarantee that this vehicle will not have a re-occurrence of the same issue? If so, I want that SM on my side so I can get my truck fixed there and get the same assurances!

Second, if the SM is so well versed on "FILTER" issues maybe he should take a look at the "training film" that Ford produced about using "non-OEM" filters and te issues they could cause and why they are caused. Hmmmm...I'm wondering if FORD is a stranger to him or he's just getting a paycheck for the dealership and not an advocate for his own company? Or was this a non Ford Company?

Third, is this Service Manager willing to foot the bill when your non-OEM filter causes damage or is instrumental in a failure down the line? I'm sure his "smugness" will not be appreciated as you lay out a few thousand dollars do too his advice.

Fourth, I do agree on your service managers assertion that issues are not always attributed to filters and non-OEM parts. Drivers can be a detriment to their vehicle and take it way beyond their means or not know enough about limits or as you say "ridiculously fickle" 6.0 PSD and do the right thing by it. Our engines are a nightmare to say the least, but take good care of them and "ridiculously fickle" becomes manageable.

Fifth, why do the posters here not normally state the "bad" filters?? Well, maybe cause not all of said non-OEM filters cause issues. What they are telling you is that there is a potential FOR issues is they are used. Again, refer to the film shown in the links that were provided to you. NO ONE, has to tell you the "suspect" filters then because all could be suspect if the don't fit correctly as per Ford Specs (hmmmm, owners manual there, eh?)

Sixth, the strangers here in this forum advocate one thing and one thing only, USE THE OEM PRODUCT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE OWNERS MANUAL STATES!!!! DUDE, Where do you think they get their info from? They are following the owners manual and the technical manuals by Ford itself! Do you not read in-depth where alot of these contributors to this forum are Ford Techs and Mechanics? They aren't here to pitch for Ford...they are here because they love what they do, they love their trucks and have seen way too many people go the wrong direction, skimp abit or go non-OEM and have serious issues. THEY KNOW BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO FIX THEM and THEN CHARGE THE OWNERS THOUSANDS TO REPAIR A VEHICLE THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVERTED IF THE OWNER HAD DONE THE RIGHT THING! It doesn't take much for a dealer to say you're out of warranty because you didn't use the right filter, part or anything else that took you out of specs and caused damage to your "ridiculously fickle" engine!

In summation, DUDE, listen to the experts here. If you're gonna research through the forum as you state, then you know who's who. They don't post just to be heard. They post to impart knowledge due to experience, both personal and professional.

OK...Off soapbox. I'm sorry if this sounded harsh and honestly, no harm intended. It just sounds as though you're gonna do what ya want anyway. But just know, the strangers here are only strange in character, but not in professional expertise!

Mike

Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,470 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Originally Posted by da-bees
The issue is not with filters whatsoever and not all that uncommon nor difficult to remedy according to him. It appears owners should not be so smug that no harm will come to thier engine if they are using only origional equipment manufactures products. I do believe if you read about breakdowns people have experienced,many happened despite the truck beeing 100% O.E. Best advice I heard here is if you don't know,follow the owners manual and don't rely on strangers to tell you what to install on your truck or pour in your fluids and fuel.
You really need to eloborate here. Unless I am missing something, what you have posted seems cryptic to me and not of much help as it is written.
1. What was the issue?
2. What was the fix?
3. First you say something about being smug, then you say follow the owners manual (which I believe almost everyone was saying this).

Please explain. I really don't think that anyone posting in this thread is naive enough to believe or say that breakdowns can not occur w/ OEM trucks.

Also, I just have to add (about oil color), when you pull the dipstick or drain the pan, it is UNFILTERED oil you are looking at. It will be dark in most engines. Many peoples "dark oil" comes back w/ good oil analysis results. People can get paranoid about too many things. If it appears differently or smells differently, then BY ALL MEANS - take it in ......... or better yet, get an oil sample and send it in for analysis (and then take it in).

No one has said that problems can not occur with these engines if you are OEM. We all recognize that certain mechanical breakdowns can affect oil color, smell, and chemical properties of the oil - and we are not irresponsibly saying that it MUST be the filter either. We are saying "stay OEM" so you do not have an extra thing to have to consider in your troubleshooting and you do not have to worry about the warranty (if you are still covered). All of the "posters" in this thread are being conservative - so I do not believe anyone is saying to ignore a problem because you are OEM.

Adressing another point - look back on ALL the posts by folks recommending OEM filters. Most of the time, they are specifically saying you should NOT buy Ford filters. Buy the Racor or the International (all made by Racor). The price is very reasonable and not much more than ANY aftermarket filter. It amazes me that so many people read into the posts that the message is "to buy only from Ford".

Your original post is about WIX filters. WIX (and Luberfiner for that matter) have both been documented to have fiitment and quality issues (at least in the past). Lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks have presented information about why you should only use OEM style fiilters (which is what is recommended in the manual). If you still contend that WIX is as good or better, then that is certainly your choice.

There is no smugness here. It is all about being conservative and not taking a risk with an expensive engine or voiding your warranty. By all means, do the research and make your own decision. Look at the reputation and the accuracy of the information people post. I believe this is an even better "picture" of a person's trustworthieness than just going to a dealership and believing what they say. After all, they are not all 100% capable AND they do not necessarily represent Ford. Ford can deny a warranty even if a dealership was the one that installed an aftermarket product. In this forum (and a dozen others if you have the time and energy), look for the Techs and see what they are all saying. There are even a few forums where the majority of responses are from Techs. Then look for the folks that seem to be consistent w/ the Techs in their recommendation.

Quick Reply: Wix vs Motorcraft oil filters