Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Senior User

green 69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
love2dune
Exclamation track bar bracket

Just my 2cents, I had the same problem with my 99, dealer said they would have to replace the whole front axel.. well I just welded it up, but it broke again so I rewelded it up and added some gussets, Problem solved..
So I see you welded it up but if it was me I would add the extra strength and add some gusset material...
Like I said its just my 2 cents..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Senior User

rpenterics is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green 69 View Post
Just my 2cents, I had the same problem with my 99, dealer said they would have to replace the whole front axel.. well I just welded it up, but it broke again so I rewelded it up and added some gussets, Problem solved..
So I see you welded it up but if it was me I would add the extra strength and add some gusset material...
Like I said its just my 2 cents..
Yeah, my pictures don't show it but I did add some bracing across the top of the bracket in a couple places to hold it together to prevent future breakage. Definitely a good idea for anyone who encounters this problem.
'74/'79 F250 Ranger 4x4 460 C6
'07 F150 XLT SCAB 4X4 5.4L Auto HERS
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Elder User

rudedogii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Track Bar no Track Bar?

I just read through all the post on this subject and have some thoughts. First why does it need a track bar? It dont have one in the rear! Right! Well first off look a those stock front leaf springs. Only three leafs! Those will hold the truck up but how about side to side? So it makes sense to me to have a track bar with the factory leafs. My truck has a eight inch lift with a ten leaf pack spring. The spring pack is like 4 inch thick. So I drove it with out the track bar for a few months. Handled the same! It dont need no track bar, right? Months later I started to hear creeking sounds when I turned the wheels Lt to Rt. Checked it out and found cracks in the shackles. I fixed the shackles and re installed the factory track bar. So the track bar has a purpose at least some Ford engineer thought so.
My advise is, if you change the ride height on you you truck. Check that the factory track bar lines back up "after lift" with the factory brackets with no stress! If it dont fit. You may need an adjustable type track bar. I got a track bar video I may upload if any body is interested. That was too much wrighting!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Elder User

rudedogii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Custom track bar bracket

I made this bracket after running with no track bar for a few months.

Track Bar Brackit - YouTube
Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 AM
New User

Burgundy88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Found the same issue on my 2004 Ex. What is a resonable price for this repair/welding job?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Elder User

73ferdf250highboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A cheap welder from harbor freight is less than $100. I wouldn't pay more than that to get it rewelded

99 f350 7.3 4x4 cc lb drw
73 f250 fe390 highboy
00 a4 avant 1.8t
a few vdubs
Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 AM
New User

Oilfieldpay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gusset are a must

My track bar was broken I have a 8inch tuff country life with dual steering stabilizers and 37 in bfg A/T. My track bar mount broke, Welded it up No biggie. Now I am on a job driving down the rig road it broke again. I don't have an adjustable track bar I put a link in to strech my oem track bar. Either way If it brakes ADD As Much Metal as you can to make sure it does not happen again because just a weld, Will Fail if your driving conditions remain the same. My track bar is currently in the bed of my truck, To be fixed as soon as a welder show up on the location. I greased my front end thinking that was what was the where the noise was coming from. Half the brake was through the weld have was through unbroken metal.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM
New User

Burgundy88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Adding some gussets is a must, thanks to this forum I made the request at time of service. Front end shop was very leary about making the repair-I guess from a liability standpoint. They only listed the front end alignment on the receipt and I paid for the weld job off the record. Don't know if it was a coincidence, but I had to replace the 4WD hi/low switch on the truck not too long afterwards.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2004, 2006, 4x4, axle, bar, bracket, broken, cracking, driving, f250, f350, ford, mounted, trac, track