1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One-piece Drive Shaft and Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM
PW_SD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One-piece Drive Shaft and Blocks

I have a one-piece drive shaft in my 04 f-250 SB SD. Currently I have F-350 blocks in the rear but will be exchanging those for 5 in tappered blocks to raise the back ~1.5 inches over the current level ride I have today.

Question: given the one-piece drive shaft, I have no carrier bearing to shim. The new blocks are tappered for pinion angle I believe. Are there any other drive-shaft/geometry issues that I should be aware of? Will the on-piece shaft compensate for some subtle differences in geometry?

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:57 PM
ken75ranger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're probably going to run into a driveshaft geometry issue. Your pinion yoke angle should match you're output yoke angle within 2 degrees. The pinion angle can be slightly lower. You'll probably need to lower your transfercase or get a double cardan type driveshaft.
More than a few degrees and u-joints won't last long.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the u-joint on the output of the transfer case. It is probably a double cardan type joint.

If so, you can do that rear lift with the tapered blocks. Just make sure that the pinion points slightly downwards. This is necessary because the pinion will tilt upwards when you apply power to the drivetrain. This becomes worse when you add tall blocks.

Lou Braun