Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck broke down

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 PM
jetedwards
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
truck broke down

I APOLOGIZE FOR ALL THE DETAILS IN ADVANCE AND FOR NOT PROOF READING:

97 f250 5.8 hd; i started my truck and began driving and it started losing serious power and just stalled out on me. no warning signs that ive seen. started up no probs before this. it wont start at all. the trucks still at my father in laws house and i need it for work any help is greatly appreciated im self employed and have to get this fixed asap.

i ve changed the fuel filter and can hear the fuel pump when i turn key on; i also switched tanks to see if it was the pump too but no help. pressed the little valve at engine on fuel rail and it sprayed good.

i disconnected a spark plug wire, removed the boot and held it next to the dis. cap terminal and got no spark.
i disconnected the " feed wire " from the cap took boot off and saw spark, im new to looking at spark so im not sure what it is supposed to look like but in my opinion it looked weak. it was dull blue and didnt seem to shoot very fast. my father in law says he saw red spark when i turned the key and he held to ground.

the only code i saw that i hadnt ;last time i checked was 542 something tio do with the feul pump; it was a koeo stored code but i think i eliminated that as a culprit.

gonna replace cap and rotor pin tomorrow see if that works and possibly the"feed thing" hopefully its not expensive otherwise my g friend ll hav to take me to ajunk yard too.

any idea what it could be or what else i should check? i will be replacing the negative to ground terminal tomorro too as i was already going to do it cause i hav a bit of a grounding problem for the past 7 or 8 months

Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the sounds of it, you have spark going in the dist cap, but none coming out?
I recomend Replacing the cap and rotor, plugs and wires. The reason I would recomend the plugs and wires is because if they are really worn, then the spark will not jump to that wire if it has no way to make a ground. I would also recomend the ignition coil if the spark looked weak.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:45 PM
jetedwards
Mountain Pass
thanks thats def the dir i was headed and ill look into ignition coil prices now ty did u check out martyf150 's post

Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 AM
jetedwards
Mountain Pass
also could the fuel pressure reg hav something to do with this?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
jetedwards
Mountain Pass
ok problem solved it was the ignition coil. the other one was junk i guess thanks