Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior User

98SurplusExpy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford Drop-In Bedliner "ON TOP OF" Spray-in Liner ....

Don't really want to get into the pro's & con's or the why's & why not's of doing this .... but, has anyone "successfully" did this?

My truck has a spray-in liner from the previous owner. I don't know what brand, but I suspect it's a Line-X. At any rate, it's showing it's age 'n wear & I simply prefer a drop-in liner for the durability & impact protection.

So I pick up a used Ford drop-in off Craigslist (same year, model, 'n bedsize). It has these two "cups" for the cab-side cargo hooks. I could not get the "cups" to fit snugly enough so that I could re-bolt the cargo hooks back to the bed!! I tried to force it & ended up putting a 2" stress tear at one of the cup pockets . The liner itself seemed to fit pretty good ... it was just these friggin cups!

Any experience here with this issue?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
I had a drop in once, it sucked hardcore. Everything slides on the plastic, and it just hid all the dents from stuff sliding around. My bed was scratched up, dented, and rusted after 2 years of a drop in, mainly the wheel wells were beat the hell from cinder blocks sliding. It had cut outs to get to the hooks, not the cup things, but I'm pretty sure the way that it warped that it would have torn or broken had there been any tension at all on it. It was a Duraliner, which 'supposedly' was better than the Ford junk, that's what the Ford dealer said. Plastic drop in's don't hold a candle to a real line-x spray in liner, the roll in crap maybe, but not a well done spray in.

If the spray in is really a Line-X take it to a dealer, they can patch and repair them, plus spray some stuff on them that makes them look almost new.

Nancy, you been going to that healer for twelve years, and you still get headaches every night.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:04 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Line-X is thin and you shouldn't have an issue putting a drop in liner over it.

Rhino Lining is thick and would probably cause issues with fit.

I agree with tesxastech_diesel, drop in liners are junk, but you already stated you don't want opinions.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Posting Guru

sandmanf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how about one of those three piece systems with the bedliner type sides and a bedmat bottom.mine works great,no slippage and nothing damages it.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Senior User

KSCRUDE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have buddy who uses the spray in liner then he puts the thick rubber mat on the tailgate and floor for added protection. He used to put the rubber mat in the drop in liners to keep things from sliding but he quite buying the junk drop in things. I have been using spray in liners for years and i always drill 6 to 8 holes across the front of the bed about a inch from the bulkhead so the water never sits in the bed. Drill before u have it lined therefore no rust.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Senior User

hcbph is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bed Liner

I picked up a used bed liner a few months ago. I had to slip the top of the liner under lip of the bed, once that happened, everything fit as it should including the cups for the hooks.

Good luck
Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Reads ***** rules!

rotun has a good reputation on FTE.rotun has a good reputation on FTE.
We have modded plenty of these, use some heat to get it to move where you want it.

Also......BedRug
2008 F-450 6.4L
2007 F-350 CC LB Harley Ed.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior User

98SurplusExpy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbph View Post
I picked up a used bed liner a few months ago. I had to slip the top of the liner under lip of the bed, once that happened, everything fit as it should including the cups for the hooks.

Good luck
I "thought" that I had everything tucked under correctly, and it all seemed to fit well. The top part of the bed closest to the cab was an initial concern, but the spray-in liner appeared to be pretty thin here ... it was a little too snug in this area though.

I'll admit that it may of helped if it was a warmer day, but gah ... these cups were a good 2-3" away from the bolt holes!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Postmaster

HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just use a bed mat to keep it from getting gouged by whatever is loaded. Line-x has been great for my past two trucks.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners

Tags
06, 2000, 2006, bed, bedliner, delaware, drop, f250, f350, ford, liner, plastic, spray, top, truck