Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2009, 12:13 AM
New User

vastingray is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question best riding shock opinion? for a 2000 f 250 4x4

Hi i was wondering whats the smoothest riding shock for a 2000 f-250 4x4 off road with the v-10 ? any Ideas? thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Posting Guru

SGnAZ has a good reputation on FTE.SGnAZ has a good reputation on FTE.SGnAZ has a good reputation on FTE.
Bilsteins
Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior User

lowbed dud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2x bilsteins
Old 11-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior User

ameinig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
x3 Bilsteins. I have the same truck, only 1999. Check Shockwarehouse.com, they have an FTE discount.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Elder User

rjfetz1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rjfetz1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stock shocks will give you the best ride. I did a coffee test with my new truck with 5,000 miles - coffee in the holder with no lid for 3 straight days ( of coarse a towel under it)- coffee spilled out in the exact same spot each day. I replaced stock with bilsteins and did the same test and coffee spilled more than 3 times. I posted the results here and people replyed the bilsteins will be a stiffer ride.....so if you want smoother ....stick with stock....if you want stiffer .. bilsteins. I thought i was going to get a great ride with bilsteins....i put my stock ones back on and will save the new ones until the stock ones wear out. Just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Senior User

mackstruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2002 F-250 CC V10 4X4. I replaced the shocks about a year ago because I thought they were warn out. I put Bilsteins on and it did nothing to improve the ride. Maybe a little stiffer, but barely enough to notice.

Hind sight 20/20, waste of money. There was nothing wrong with the factory shocks.

But hey, they look cool.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Senior User

superdutyduck is starting off with a positive reputation.
thats why i went for the pro comp es 9000, they are softer than stock, and are durable enough for off road use.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Posting Guru

bayou barataria is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Softer than stock, but good for off road? If you want a smooth ride bilstiens are not for you, they are stiffer and meant for trucks that carry a lot of weight. Try some gas shocks.
2008 ford f-250 cc 5.4 super duty , raider hi rise camper top with thule ladder racks, front winch bumper top gun, rear bumper top gun,12,000 lb. winch, 98 gal. aux tank, on board 12 volt puma air compressor w/10gal tank and 50' auto hose reel,1000 amp 2nd battery,1,000,2,500,6,000 watt power inverters, 9" hid lights, running boards, air horns by hadley, xm radio, fac. 6 cd nav. center, air bags, cb,2-4'12volt flourescent lights in back.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm please with the ride my Reflex shocks have. I have stiffer springs in the front, and the old ride was very bouncy. Granted whatever shocks were on there were probably stock with 160k on it.

That is where shock comparison is a tough battle. If you took a new truck, you probably wouldn't find much difference in shocks. The real difference comes in when you replace worn shocks. In that case, even a cheap generic shock will seem like it it worlds better than the "stock" shock.

That being said, on many vehicles that typically are "Bouncy" i've installed the reflexes and they seem to do a nice job of reducing the bounciness without making it overly stiff.

Many people have noted that the bilsteins are stiffer but offer much improved control over stock, even in a good apples to apples comparison. Even the reflexes are supposed to be a "stiffer" shock, that is direct from Tenneco (the manufacturers of Monroe, rancho and some other brands). I still think it has a really good ride on all the vehicles I've put them on recently and the customer feedback is great.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
New User

strokey1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replaced stock shocks with Bilsteins on my 02 supercab 7.3 4x4. I agree with the other posts...Bilsteins are stiffer and stock shocks are smoother. Borderline waste of money, but hey...they have lifetime warranty.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Posting Guru

bayou barataria is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
They are not a waste of money if you have a 400lb. bumper on the front and an 100 gal. aux fuel tank in the back along with tools and parts, they will save your springs.
2008 ford f-250 cc 5.4 super duty , raider hi rise camper top with thule ladder racks, front winch bumper top gun, rear bumper top gun,12,000 lb. winch, 98 gal. aux tank, on board 12 volt puma air compressor w/10gal tank and 50' auto hose reel,1000 amp 2nd battery,1,000,2,500,6,000 watt power inverters, 9" hid lights, running boards, air horns by hadley, xm radio, fac. 6 cd nav. center, air bags, cb,2-4'12volt flourescent lights in back.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2000, 2008, 2009, 54, bilstein, compare, duty, f250, ford, good, rancho, riding, shock, shocks, smooth, super