1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a solution to the "front end wandering issue"?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is there a solution to the "front end wandering issue"?

I've read many posts and made a few of my own. My 01 wanders while going down the highway....I'm making constant steering corrections.

After reading the posts I've tried almost everything:

steering box
ball joints
pitman arm
tie rod ends
three alignments
new tires
new Bilsteins

Not sure what else I could do. Like I said....I've read many posts but really haven't seen any definitive solutions. Has anybody "solved" this mystery?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Could you give a little more info? Is your truck lifted? What tires, old and new? Including size and load rating. What pressures?

Have you replaced all those components? Or just looked at them. For example, did you replace the steering gear, or just examine/adjust it. And the same info on the other components.

Did you consider a rear axle alignment check?

Has this truck ever been wrecked? Carfax?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
When you say "steering box", what do you mean? A rebuild?

My '01, brand-new off the lot, had a little bit of "wander". Reading here, I found that the steering box is usually a little "loose" from the factory, but I never did anything about it. After two sets of tires, I went to 285/75R16's, and the wander got a lot worse.

Two different brands of 285's, same thing.

So, I adjusted the steering box, turning the adjusting screw in 3/8's of one turn.

Wander is GONE. Nothing else changed, no adjustments, never set the alignment, nothing.

I wonder, if even your "rebuilt" steering box could use an adjustment. What you do is, open the driver's window, start the engine. From outside the vehicle see if you can turn the steering wheel back and forth slightly, and look at the pitman arm. This is with the wheels straight ahead.

If there is any dead spot where you can move the wheel, but the pitman arm isn't moving, you might want to try adjusting the steering box. BE CAREFUL. It can bind up if you go too far, and even if it doesn't, it can wear it out fast. Go 1/4 turn at a time. Holding the adjusting screw with an allen key (forget what size), loosen the lock nut with a 5/8" wrench (I think it's 5/8's). Turn the adjusting screw in 1/4 turn, and tighten the lock nut while holding the adjusting screw.

Recheck for a dead spot.

On my steering box, I could probably go all the way to 1/2 turn, but didn't want to go too far. The wander is completely gone.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just had the steering box replaced on my 08 f350 4x2 drw at 45000miles due to wander. this was a used truck purchase, and the box replace was to fix the wander felt pre-purchase.

now at 49000 miles its back. 1/2 of the 4500miles has been towing a 7000 trailer, bumper pull.

I replaced the shocks and the steering damper too. no help.
there is also a slight shimmy/tire bounce feel at 70-72mph. feels like road induced, front tires spin balanced, not road force. not all the time,

currently the front tires are at 65psi (recommended pressure), while the rears are at 45 (recommended at 60 when loaded). truck weighs around 7000lb, has 13000lb GVWR.

I wonder if the box needs adjusting already? its a ford part, installed my the chysler user car dealer, and checked by the ford dealer. alignment also done by the ford dealer.

any ideas welcome.. remember this is a 4x2, not lifted, no front hubs, ...etc

Sam

Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Truck is an 01 2WD

Bought it w/ 43K on it, didn't start doing it until around 90K

Replaced all these components.

Tried tightening the steering box, then put in a rebuilt one from Oreilly's. Took out all the play in the wheel, but still wanders.

Tires are the OEM Pirelli's. Same ones I had before.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Almost forgot.

Nope, not lifted.

Not wrecked that I know of.

50/70 psi in the tires.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is a lame answer, I know, but yes, it can be corrected. There are thousands of us running around with no wander.

As to exactly what is causing it for you, I wish I could help, but there are lots of things that can cause it.

You haven't mentioned track bar bushing, bracket, and bolt condition. If there is ANY slop in the track bar, it can cause wander - especially over bumps. That was the root cause in mine at 140K miles.

Bent or whacky wheels can cause it as well. Some wheels come out of factory with heavy spots. Adding lead and balancing can correct the primary imbalance, but lead to a secondary harmonic problem.

A suggestion: Borrow wheels and tires from someone whose truck runs straight and true. See if that makes a difference.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Also, any clunks, ticks, or other noises of any kind when hitting bumps?

Any binding, even subtle, as wheels turn back and forth off center>

Steering damper condition?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I still suspect the steering gear, OR something in the power steering valve.

If you have really done all those other things, you are probably frustrated and looking for something different to try. So another way to approach it would be to just invest in an aftermarket dual steering stabilzer and see if it helps.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 PM
TBRADSIM
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRY THE BALL JOINTS,LIFT AND SEE IF YOU HAVE PLAY. TBRADSIM

Old 11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
TBRADSIM
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SORRY I DIDN"T SEE YOU HAD CHECKED THE BALL JOINTS, I MUST BE GETTING OLD AND SENILE LIKE MY WIFE SAYS. HAHA TBRADSIM

Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I still suspect the steering gear, OR something in the power steering valve.

If you have really done all those other things, you are probably frustrated and looking for something different to try. So another way to approach it would be to just invest in an aftermarket dual steering stabilzer and see if it helps.

I've read a little bit about these power steering valves - can one elaborate on this subject for me? Is this the power steering pump that you are referencing? How does it affect wander?

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty Power Steering Pump | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I'm not opposed to a steering stabilizer, but wouldn't that just be masking the actual problem? Anybody got a link to a good one?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by mwsF250
This is a lame answer, I know, but yes, it can be corrected. There are thousands of us running around with no wander.

As to exactly what is causing it for you, I wish I could help, but there are lots of things that can cause it.

You haven't mentioned track bar bushing, bracket, and bolt condition. If there is ANY slop in the track bar, it can cause wander - especially over bumps. That was the root cause in mine at 140K miles.

Bent or whacky wheels can cause it as well. Some wheels come out of factory with heavy spots. Adding lead and balancing can correct the primary imbalance, but lead to a secondary harmonic problem.

A suggestion: Borrow wheels and tires from someone whose truck runs straight and true. See if that makes a difference.
That is what has me so frustrated. Clearly, not every truck does this so it CAN be fixed. I'm just having a hell of a time findiing out what the problem is so that I can fix it.

Track bar bushing, bracket, and bolt condition - I'll show my ignorance here. I'm not familar with those components - where are they? Got a schematic?

Edit: just googled them and I'm thinking that they are only present on 4WD models. Is that the case?

I wouldn't suspect it is the wheels, because I probably would have noticed when I replaced the tires. I can swap them with the wheels off of a friend's truck though.

Originally Posted by mwsF250
Also, any clunks, ticks, or other noises of any kind when hitting bumps?

Any binding, even subtle, as wheels turn back and forth off center>

Steering damper condition?
Nope, not a sound. I haven't noticed any binding, but can run outside and check. Do I simply turn the wheel lock to lock while idling and feel for any resistance?

Truck doesn't have a steering damper.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of a few trucks I own is an 01 F250 rwd 5.4 and the truck is pushing 193000 miles on it, and not an ounce of wander. The suspension is stock and tires are the firestone steeltex 265 16 range E which used to be ford issued on most superdutys when the truck was new.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked wheel bearings? Any looseness in any steering part, Idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, steering gear could cause wander. Make sure all front suspension bushings are good also. The rag joint on the steering column could cause wander.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a solution to the "front end wandering issue"?