Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 AM
New User

batviper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation 99 7.3 powerstroke slight miss.nopower,rpm drop ,bad mpg,acts like its out of time

Plz help i got a 7.3 giving me all kinds of hell here is a list of problems and a list of what i have done so far.

PROBLEMS
1. Slight miss that comes and goes
2. No power low throttle response
3 Rpms drop below what they should then go up and down when idling at light rang of 20 to 50 pre
4. Very bad mpg only getting around 7 to 8 mpg
5 No take off power
6. acts like its out of time like gas motor would
7 sometimes it will have power but still not like it should

Things Ive fix so far

1. 8 new inj A&d
2. new ipc sensor
3. new map sensor
4. new turbo wheel
5. new fuel filter
6. oil change
7. air filter
8. new fuel filter housing rebuild and cleaning
9. cleaned ebp sensor and port didn't take tube off yet
10.put new and more grounds on motor and frame to batt
11. cleaned pick up screen in the fuel tank
12. removed the clogged cat
13. straight piped it
14. new cps it gray top 1

Thing you all ways ask

1. (yes) i have scanned it got few codes PO1211,po603,po1316
2. ( no) i haven't checked fuel pressure yet not sure on how to or what to use

god plz help me guy i use this truck day for mi biz only 1 i got i got to keep it ruining

P.S IF YOU CAN HELP ME ILL GIVE YOU A COOKIE CAN AFFORD MUCH MORE
Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Snowboard season cometh..

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
It sounds like your UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness) is loose or possibly shorted out on one side. Search for "UVCH" and you'll find LOTS of information.

EDIT: PaysonPSD posted this in another thread and has links with details.

Some info about UVCH.

What your problem might be. LINK

How to OHM out the UVCH for continuity:

Checking the ohms reading at the valve cover connector on the outside.

Pin Out

G
G
I
I
C
I
I
G
G

G=Glow Plug
I = Injector
C= Injector Common

NOTE: The injectors fire with a 115VDC signal from the IDM. *** Do Not pierce the wires to test***

Test between "I" and "C" to test the injectors, should be less than 5.0 Ohms.

To check glow plugs Test between "G" and battery ground. Should be between 0.6 and 2.0 Ohms
If your readings are not within these parameters you may have bad injector, glow plug or loose connector under the valve cover.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 AM

megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE. In addition to what Brendan said I would look at the TPS also.

What kind of cookie I hope not chocolate chip I'm not to fond of those
01 F350 DRW, Autometer Gauges, Custom CAI with Petes Cover, 6" Miter Stacks, 38R Turbo, Casserly SS Injectors, Live tuned by DP-Tuner (F6) , and a bunch of other stuff some show, and some go. PAA #14
www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org
RIP Robin Gone but not forgotten....RIP Mark.. I'll never forget you!!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 AM

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
My manners!!! Welcome to FTE!!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
New User

i will try that first
Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
New User

sorry what is a tps
Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 AM

TPS = throttle position sensor

If you go to the 'root' of this forum, you'll see a 'sticky' at the top of the listing of threads: Common Mods, Maintenance, etc. .... something like that. You'll pick it up as you go, but taking the time to read through that is well worth it. Take your laptop in the bathroom with you, just try not to let your legs go numb
Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM
New User

how do i test the tps
Old 11-20-2009, 11:55 AM

You'll probably need AE - AutoEnginuity.

Here's a thread I found using the Search feature of the forum:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/89...on-sensor.html

You can find the Search this Forum button in the blue bar at the top of the thread listings. It's in the same place on all forums, sub-forums, etc. and is super handy.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
New User

just got back from shop did a buzz test it passed

did a contribution test it fail at #8
Old 11-27-2009, 08:08 PM
New User

update

changed the tps changed the oil temp sensor still same no power and a miss every other time i stop at stop light and still pulling my hair out beating head on wall
Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Elder User

FireMe has a very good reputation on FTE.FireMe has a very good reputation on FTE.FireMe has a very good reputation on FTE.FireMe has a very good reputation on FTE.
A few things I would be thinking about would be fuel pressure, high pressure oil leaks, boost leaks, and harness issues.

You said you had a shop do a buzz test, why don't they just diagnose it?

Can you monitor PIDs? What is your ICP reading at WOT? How much boost can you achieve?

The code P1316 indicates you have injector circuit problems. Did you perform the test that Brendan recommended?

Jay
Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 PM
New User

it was a buddy of mine that did it who works for a shop ill check that stuff tonight
Old 11-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
Welcome!!!

For the fun of it why dont you throw a black CPS in there and see if it changes anything...

The grey CPS's are known to cause issues.

Here is a link to my thread about them. EVEN though you are not displaying the proper codes according to the service message. Ford obviously dose not have a handle on what is going on.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...code-info.html
Old 11-28-2009, 03:40 PM
New User

i put a black cps in still no change
Old 11-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
73, 73l, 99, air, forum, increcing, injectors, mpg, power, powerstroke, rebuilt, sensor, stroke, temperature, versus