Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Rather Be Floatin

RedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to behold
Costa Kaldanis
Cool Fuel Bowl Drain Valve

Well I started getting the faint smell of raw diesel in the cab of the truck so I looked under the hood and the valley had raw diesel in it. 2 years ago I ordered the o-rings from Guzzle for just this occasion.
I removed the valve and replaced the o-rings, I have the type of valve that the middle comes out of so I also replaced the small o-ring on the shaft. After the reinstall I clicked the key on and opened the valve and fuel started spraying out of the top of the valve, turned the valve off and no leaks. I removed the valve again and replced the shaft o-ring again and the same thing happened again. I dont have any leaks from the valve unless I put it in the drain position with the key turned on. I guess this means I need a new drain valve?????
Should I replace it even if it only leaks when I put it in the drain position??
2" Leveling Kit, Hutch/Harpoon, Foil Delete Mod, Upgraded boots, Undone CCV Mod, A/C Improvement Mod, GPR LED, Michelin LT285/75R/16 LTX AT2's, TRU-COOL cooler, Train Horns
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Postmaster

Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.
Or delete the bowl I don't miss mine. Makes for a better view of the Adrenaline

Sorry, no help.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Posting Guru

maevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud of
I'm thinking you may have the valve in wrong, try to rotate 90 degs.
I had the same problem.
Also check for a crack on the yellow lever.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
The only trouble I had was that I forgot to insert the lever into the notch on top of the housing body before tightening the screws around the valve body... hence I'm running with the valve closed adn no handle until I get the time to remove the valve again to reinstall the handle (unless I remove the filter housing altogether before then).
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Rather Be Floatin

RedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to behold
Costa Kaldanis
How can something so simple turn into such a PITA!!!
2" Leveling Kit, Hutch/Harpoon, Foil Delete Mod, Upgraded boots, Undone CCV Mod, A/C Improvement Mod, GPR LED, Michelin LT285/75R/16 LTX AT2's, TRU-COOL cooler, Train Horns
Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Makes you want to delete that little sucker altogether, doesn't it!!
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Rather Be Floatin

Costa Kaldanis
Sure does, I really like Orezonas advice!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Postmaster

Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
Makes you want to delete that little sucker altogether, doesn't it!!
I was happy enough to be done with that damn bowl, I gave it away.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Posting Guru

guzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to all
I would say that you didn't rotate the valve shaft so the round part of the shaft is facing the o-rings, not the flat part. I doubt if there is anything wrong with your valve.
If you own a 99-03 7.3 PSD, this is the place to be:
Roadside Help Network
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Rather Be Floatin

Costa Kaldanis
Thanks Tom, guess I need to pull it again tomorrow! Third time is a charm right?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Postmaster

WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
The only trouble I had was that I forgot to insert the lever into the notch on top of the housing body before tightening the screws around the valve body... hence I'm running with the valve closed adn no handle until I get the time to remove the valve again to reinstall the handle (unless I remove the filter housing altogether before then).

I just did mine a few weeks ago and did this very thing Pete. LOL I bit the bullet and fixxed it right then though. Got to love Guzzles Military Approved O-rings!
7.3L, Termi-T1000,38R,RR Plenum Inserts, DP F5, 5"exh., 6"Spring Super Lift,RDP SS BL, RDP 650M dash,EV2's, (TCT Trans= POS), DFA RR, TYMAR, H&H, 6.0 IC, REDHEAD,D60,XRF BJ, Glock 21, and some things I forgot......
Work/Hunting/Family Truck.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Junior User

Old and Busted is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did mine a week ago after getting the o-rings from Guzzle. His step by step directions made it a breeze. Big thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
I was happy enough to be done with that damn bowl, I gave it away.
Been there, done that, and dont miss it at all. Spin on filters are cheaper too.
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
I had the opposite problem last weekend, my drain valve wouldn't drain at all. Seems I got a little piece of mud jammed in the tube while elk hunting, I had to ream it out with some wire and open the drain with the key on to blast the blockage out.
PAA Member #2
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
96 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD - totaled 4/17/11 and sorely missed
God speed PaysonPSD, you will be missed
ThumperTalk / All Things Moto! / Back Country Rebels / SAWS / BRC
Old 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 73, 73l, bowl, change, diesel, drain, f250, ford, fuel, kit, problems, smell, valve, water