2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2104 trouble code, did it again

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
P2104 trouble code, did it again

Well, truck did it again last night. Shut down to idle, wrench light came on. My Edge Insight showed P2104, Throttle Actuator Control System-Forced Idle. This is the third time it's done it over several months. Took it to Ford again, they didn't find anything. First time they replaced the throttle control unit. He's talking about RF interference but ignition & alternator checked ok. Each time it's done it has been in the same place, Sacramento Raceway. Any ideas? This is getting ridiculous, can't just drive it & show them because it's only done it over several months period.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's possible something from the racetrack area is causing the RF interference. What else is nearby that is emitting radio waves?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Greg B
It's possible something from the racetrack area is causing the RF interference. What else is nearby that is emitting radio waves?
Track is out in the country but Mather Air Force Base is 3 or 4 miles north. Funny though I've never seen it affect any other vehicles. Any way to shield it if that's what it is?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I'm not sure. I'm not an electronics wiz, but it seems that there is a correlation to that location and your problem. I drive by Grissom AFB which is still used by the Air National Guard and don't have any problems. I'm using an SCT tuner on the truck, but nothing is plugged in the DTC port. It could be in the radio frequency that's used at Mather. Try going to that location without the Insight plugged in and see whether you pick up that code. If you don't, I'd talk to some engineers at Edge to see if a solution can be worked out, because that would tell me that the Insight is picking something up and it's getting back to the PCM via the DTC port. It's just a hunch or wild guess, but it is worth trying.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Greg B
I'm not sure. I'm not an electronics wiz, but it seems that there is a correlation to that location and your problem. I drive by Grissom AFB which is still used by the Air National Guard and don't have any problems. I'm using an SCT tuner on the truck, but nothing is plugged in the DTC port. It could be in the radio frequency that's used at Mather. Try going to that location without the Insight plugged in and see whether you pick up that code. If you don't, I'd talk to some engineers at Edge to see if a solution can be worked out, because that would tell me that the Insight is picking something up and it's getting back to the PCM via the DTC port. It's just a hunch or wild guess, but it is worth trying.
Thanks for the info. I had it unplugged when it happened, plugged it in while idling with the wrench showing on dash to get the code. Of course, after restart wrench goes away & truck runs ok. Talked to Edge, they say it can't cause the problem.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If that's the case, the Insight didn't have anything to do with the problem. I didn't think that it would, but you try to eliminate things. That would make me lean on Ford more to fix the problem. They might want to install a data logger in your truck for a few days to see whats going on. I would have to say it's definately something in the truck and therefore Ford's liability as long as it's covered under warranty. All of the electronics are supposed to be sheilded from outside sources of interference, but doesn't mean they are.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Thanks, Greg. I'll keep pushing on them.
Doug

Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
I contacted Ford & a gal from their consumer relations called me. They offered to put a data logger on it like they said. I told them lets wait, (the only time it does it is at Sac raceway & they're closed for now). I'll contact them before it opens again. Btw, is it the PCM that needs to be shielded or what? If so where's it located, I could check & see if it appears to be shielded. Would tin foil work for a shield?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
The PCM is located on the passenger side firewall next to the battery. It's probably the PCM that needs sheilded, but I don't know if just shielding the PCM will do the trick or not. It could be picking up microwaves from any number of sources in the truck. I wouldn't do anything until you've duplicated the symptom with the datalogger installed. Since all's well with the track closed, I'd begin investigating further when the track opens unless the air base is the source. If that's the case, you could get the data logger hooked up and go by the base and have the code again. I'd drive by there now to isolate the source better. If it does it again while the track is closed then you know it's coming from Mather. It could be their approach radar or guideance systems. I know I have driven by airports before and had some interference with my XM radio. And the radar detector goes crazy.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Good advice, I'll arrange to get the data collector in the future & drive around there.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Well, went to Sac Raceway last week & it did it again, waited until first round of elim, didn't do it during the multiple time runs. I'm reluctant to get their data logger, I'm sure it wouldn't go over showing drag runs. Any more suggestions on what I can look at to see about shielding? Took it by Ford the next morning but they of course didn't find anything, just noted I had different air inlet pipe to stock air filter & that I had an Edge Insight. I told them it's never done it anywhere but when I'm in the Sacramento area so does sound like an RF problem which they even put on the work sheet. I'm ready to try to talk to a lemon law rep. if they can't fix it, this is ridiculous, hope it doesn't decide to do it when I'm pulling out in front of a truck or similiar situation.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If you're not racing the truck there wouldn't be a problem with Ford putting in a data logger to see what the problem is. They won't do anything until it's proven there is a problem. It certainly sounds like it's the timing system at the drag strip. If you are drag racing the truck, Ford won't do anything but void the warranty and you probably won't have much success under the lemon law either.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
I think you're right, that's why I haven't had them put the data collector in before going up there. I'll just have to live with it unless I can find what's unshielded, has to be my truck since it's never done it to anybody else there on the nights it's happened to me.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Problem solved

Well, Ford dealer found the problem. It was the accelerator assembly. It finally did it twice in one evening, took it to the dealer the next morning & they found it. Was a backorder item since going under an engineering update but they had the part within a week. Sounds like it wasn't an unusual problem.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Glad you found the problem. And no it's not that unusual of a problem on the new stuff.

Quick Reply: P2104 trouble code, did it again