Sponsored by: DP Tuner

GlowShift Gauges.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 PM
CLStewart144
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GlowShift Gauges.....

I know, I know.... I am not here to get bashed on this, but the wife and I were discussing gauge options for the beast and while pricing out different brands, comparing features, and looking for the best bang for the buck, we decided on the Glowshifts. (Also emailed quite a few members of the forums and got some really good feedback from the owners, in fact, I didn't find anyone who actually owned the gauges that didn't like them...) So here are some pics of the install and finished product. I have been running them for a little over a week and they have performed flawless!!! Everything reads dead on.

Now as for the installation. They provided all of the sending units and probes for the gauges, but by no means do they include EVERYTHING that you need... I still had to use some extra wire, and they do not come with vehicle specific instructions.... No big deal to me as I like a little challenge. The gauges do come with good instructions that are gauge specific, and that, coupled with the info that is in the forums, and a little common sense, should be plenty enough to get you through the install.

Here are some pics of the install and gauges:

Here is a pic of the A-pillar mount that was included in the set... It was a spot on fit.. I did have to cut the stock pillar to allow for the depth of the gauges, no big deal and a Sawzall made short work of it.

Here are a couple of pics of the wiring ran, and one of it installed in the truck.

And here is a couple of them completely in...

They actually match the stock color very close... I would say that for 199.98 shipped to my door (they dot here 2 days after I ordered them) with the triple pillar mount and the wiring kit, it was an amazing deal!! I am very pleased with the install, I got it all done in 2 evenings after work, with pouring down rain. I would definitely recommend these gauges to anyone who is in the market!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Looks very good Chris. I don't know much about them, but seems like a good deal for the budget concious times we're in. Hey, having gauges is better than NO gauges!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beautiful, but if you want to add one more nice option to them see if you can tie them in with the dimmer circuit for the dash :-P

Old 11-19-2009, 05:53 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
He may have already tied them into his dash lights but it's possible the GS gauges may still be brighter. My DiPricols were a little brighter so I turned them down a bit.

They look good, are you going to paint your bezel in the future?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 AM
jk_hooper
Senior User
I bought the same gauges a little over a year ago and love them. I really love them when i think of the prices compared to other brands. Your install looks good.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a fuel pressure gauge from them a bit ago for the same reasons on price etc. Its not working right. The sender I think is the culprit. They are sending me out a new one. Hopefully it works well, The gauge itself is nice. I ordered 3 others to install in my wifes Toyota taucoma for xmas. She is envious of my truck

Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I think they look plenty good.If you and the wife are happy that is all that matters.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 AM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
I installed my glowshift gauges 2 years ago. Still working perfectly, still happy with them. I usually keep them red-colored, rather than green. The green can be a little bright at night....the dimmer switch hookup sounds like a good idea.

Anyone know which wire is the dimmer switch?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtexan99
Anyone know which wire is the dimmer switch?
Look here: 3-Gauge Install Pictures

Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My opinion on gauges is, if they are #1 accurate and #2 reliable over time. If the Glowshift brand (or any brand) can deliver that, then install them and have fun. Those are the two reasons on having gauges in the first place.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Looks good to me.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
CLStewart144
Senior User
Originally Posted by locknload223

They look good, are you going to paint your bezel in the future?

I don't know if I want to paint the bezel, but if I do, where can I find paint to match?

Also, I don't know if these gauges can be put into the dimmer circuit on the trucks.... I think I remember reading somewhere that the color change circuitry worked on voltage differences, so if you would dim it it would change colors. I may go out tonight after work and tap into the dimmer wire and see what happens and I will post the results.

The gauges are a bit brighter than the dash, but I think the dash is a little dim even when turned all the way up... so I was toying with the idea of upgrading the lights behind the dash to LED... anyone do this?

Thanks for all the kind words on the install, and I am glad I have found some more happy owners of glowshift's!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM
CLStewart144
Senior User
Just got off the phone with their tech support, and they confirmed that you cannot hook them up to the dimmer.

Also with these gauges I do want to make one thing extremely clear... These gauges are made overseas, and they are marketed by a company in NJ... While the support that I have gotten from them was great, I didn't call in for anything other than to ask about the dimmer.... This does not mean that the gauges are bad, or inaccurate (they are actually VERY well built and very accurate!!) just please be aware that if you purchase them, you SHOULD have a good understanding of how to install them already, or help from someone who has done it before... I did my install myself, with no problems, but I have done others before, and knew what I was doing. They do come with instructions, but I would say that you could receive more vehicle specific support off of this forum than their tech support could provide... That being said, if anyone finds their self installing these in the future and needs support, you are more than welcome to PM or Email me.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
n20
Senior User
I have them as well and love them. one other thing i did was intall a shutoff switch on the constant power feed so i can turn them off when my truck sits for a long period of time so it doesn't drain the batteries. Going to mount it on the dash sometime, for now its just up underneath the panel at my feet. So did you test their accuracy? Mine all seem to be within the ranges as far as i can tell. The only thing i see that may be off is the boost, but i had to use just regular vaccumm hose because the supplied was too short and the gauge seems to have a bit of an initial lag but other than that the work great.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
CLStewart144
Senior User
Originally Posted by n20
I have them as well and love them. one other thing i did was intall a shutoff switch on the constant power feed so i can turn them off when my truck sits for a long period of time so it doesn't drain the batteries. Going to mount it on the dash sometime, for now its just up underneath the panel at my feet. So did you test their accuracy? Mine all seem to be within the ranges as far as i can tell. The only thing i see that may be off is the boost, but i had to use just regular vaccumm hose because the supplied was too short and the gauge seems to have a bit of an initial lag but other than that the work great.
Good point on the constant 12v source wire... although I am not sure how much power these gauges pull just sitting there... although I would hopefully think I would drive it enough to not cause a huge drain in the batts... Also i tested the accuracy of the boost gauge with a regulated air compressor that I use for air brushing... When the compressor read 15, it read 15... so I am happy. As far as the EGT gauge goes I am sure that its very, very close because I am completely stock and I have not been able to get it above around 1050 unloaded completely floored, and that seems to be the average of everyone here on the board.

Quick Reply: GlowShift Gauges.....