Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Turbo V6 in an F150?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
true, a long stroke is good for torque, but the bore was too small on the 5.4/6.8. Nothing could be done about it either. 351 and 460 were good motors in trucks and cars (in their time), and both engines were oversquare and had a lot of torque. Despite being oversquare, they also didn't like to rev. I think the 6.2 will have a good balance of low end torque, upper end power, rev range, and efficiency. It's also certainly very upgradable - unlike the Triton engines. The only other American truck V8 gasser that was undersquare that I know of was the GM 8.1. I don't have any experience with that, but I know it was a stroked 7.4 (with a few other mods) - 7.4 being oversquare. That engine didn't exactly hang around very long.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
94MustangGT
Elder User
Originally Posted by phillips91
I've said many times that comparing stock vs stock the advantage goes to the modulars hands down. There is no denying that. What I am saying is compare equal to equal. Give both the same flow heads, same lift cam, same everything. Over time the industy standards for hp have changed, so engines have gotten better flowing heads, bigger cams, more fuel, more air, etc. Comparing stock vs stock is like comparing a 5.0 from my bronco to a 5.0 from a mustang and a 5.0 from a cobra. It's the exact same engine with the exact same potential, but the cobra had 240 hp, the mustang had 225 hp and my bronco has 185 hp. Does that mean the cobra has the potential to make more power and is a better engine just because it came from the factory with the most hp? When I'm comparing engines I look at how they will do with equal parts, not how they came from the factory.
The stock vs. stock. Modified vs. Modified discussion can go on forever.

A side note: Those 5.0 Cobras made about 260 BHP. No joke.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
dwrestle
Elder User
Well the inability to rev on the older engines was probably the factory heads and cam.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dwrestle
Well the inability to rev on the older engines was probably the factory heads and cam.
The factory heads and intake on the old 5.0's were worthless. I'm using a set of 5.0 heads as anvils because that's all they are good for. I couldnt even give away a stock intake either. I just sold it for scrap. That's kind of my point with the older engines though. Even with the sorry heads, intake and cam, it was still making 225 hp and 300 lb/ft of torque. After 15 years of tuning the 4.6, giving it 3v aluminum heads, a bigger cam, better intake, variable cam timing, etc, it was only at 300 hp and 300 lb/ft of torque(i think the 2010 is up to 310 hp, but I may be wrong).

Put a holley systemax kit on a 5.0 and it brings it up to 350 hp, even though the heads and intake still don't flow as good as the stock 3v 4.6. The holley cam is much bigger than the stock 4.6, so cut it down some and you're still looking at around 320 hp.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
^ That argument will go in circles for years. Fact: it takes a decent H/C/I 5.0 to make what a 3V 4.6 will with bolt ons and a tune. It comes down to how efficient the set up is, not if it's a modular motor, or an old SBF. Each one will keep making power until you quit throwing money at it.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 PM
MM1281
Senior User
The LA auto show is quickly coming up on Dec 4 I think and Ford is finally going to let the cat out of the bag on Mustang engines. I wonder when we will hear something on the F150 powertrains?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 AM
jllang2
Senior User
Originally Posted by skyfox10
I think you hit the nail on the head, The Turbo V6's for the weekend warriors that maybe pull on occasion. I probably pull a trailer less than once every other month. If you got 24mpg on flat land, unloaded and you drove that way 90% of the time, and 12 pulling a load the other 10%. You would average 22.8 mpg. That's way better than my truck which averages 12.5mpg. The nice thing is, you only pay for the power when you need it. Just the opposite of the guys driving 460's that get 8mpg unloaded or with a fully loaded trailer.

Wow, I wonder if there is something wrong with my buddy's truck then, it is an 04 f150 and i think it has 3.55's in it. But I would have to check the rear end to be sure. What year is your truck? He is spinning some oversized wheels on there though, that might play a role.
new fuel filter did wonders for my mileage, i'm lifted with 35s and get close to what he is claiming around town and still get around 17 hwy, stock would do 20 easy as long as i keep the speed under 70

Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 AM
deltaboost
Junior User
haha What's up off-topic-ness!? This was a very interesting read though. I am pumped for the Eco-Boost F150. Kind of makes me wish I would have waited a year and gotten one, but the rebates were too good on mine to pass up. I'll have to figure out how much money I'll be losing if I trade up next year.

Anywho, these engines have been tested, beaten on, loaded up and run hundreds of thousands of miles (dyno time plus real world). They can tow/haul better than the 5.4L. They make their power quicker, and hold it longer. Ford has already worked through all of the turbo bugs, and I think this engine will change the way people see trucks.

I'm just waiting for a controller that will turn the boost up by a couple psi when you run high octane! E85=3 more psi=50 more hp? That sounds nice!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Holy Ancient Thread Revival Batman!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old threads never die. They simply lay low while conserving energy for their big come back!!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
deltaboost
Junior User
haha yea sometimes i do a search for different topics and don't check the dates. oops!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
creich68
Tuned
Originally Posted by deltaboost
haha yea sometimes i do a search for different topics and don't check the dates. oops!
At least you're at least two steps ahead of some members on here. Rather than the "ask a question about something that's been covered a hundred times already" It's nice to see someone using that little button towards the top of the page

Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phillips91
It makes sense to me to have it be a replacement for the old v6, but I hope it's not a replacement for the v8.

I agree with you 100%. I myself and planning on buying a 2011 F-150. But It won't be an Ecoboost. I will be getting a 5.0L V8 myself. Personally I don't for see the V8 going away anytime soon. I mean Ford spent ton's of money developing the 5.0L and 6.2L, and what a waste it would be to confine the 6.2L to limited use production in (Superdutys and Specialty trucks.) And the 5.0L to only Mustangs. As far as the concerns about fuel economy on the 6.2L's behalf I have already heard of quite a few reports of 6.2L powered F-250's seeing 17+mpg. And that may not sound like much, But comparing it to the old 5.4L powered F-250's that got 11mpg, I'd say for the extra power and displacement the fuel economy gain is quite impressive. Now imagine this same engine in an F-150 that weighs 1,000lbs+ less than the F-250. 20+mpg? Now add D.I to this 6.2L, Boom 15 - 20% increase in fuel economy there. Now keep the N/A D.I 6.2L and Make an optional 6.2L Twin Turbo (Ecoboost), and presto! You have a large displacement V8 engine that produce's way more power than any Twin Turbo V6 could ever produce, and yes with SAME flat torque curve. All the while getting decent mileage.

And on that note in real world driving I expect the 5.0L V8 to be pretty damn close to the 3.5L Ecoboost. I expect the 5.0L V8 when driving (unloaded) of course to easily be able to get 20+mpg on the highway, and 16 or 17+ in the city. Which also brings me to another statement, You said its all in how you drive it, (Referencing fuel economy) also 100% true. I have managed to personally achive over 20mpg with both 5.4L Ford and 5.3L GM V8's. I was driving them much like I do every other car/truck. Not giving it to much throttle and letting it shift at no higher than 3,000 RPMS.

Some people say guys like you and I need to catch up with the time's and let technology prevail. But those guys are in the same position as you and I without even realizing it. They say that people like you and I fail to realize that V8's are just big gas hogs. And I say they fail to realize that that's an old way of thinking. Sure 25-30 years ago a 350hp V8 would probably be getting around 7 to 10mpg in a full size truck. Today we can make a 380 - 411hp V8 that get's closer to 20mpg, Ala 6.2L, And even that engine lacks fuel improving things such as D.I and Forced Induction!!!

Sorry if this seems like a rant...Its not meant to be. I'm just sick of these new age people telling me I need to catch up with the times. I don't complain about guys that like to drive green, That's their choice, If they want to drive a Prius or a V6 fullsize truck that's fine with me. But I personally want a V8. Sorry if you think that's impractical of me. But its just what I want. But with that said, I do hope the Ecoboost is successful for Ford. Its just not my cup of tea though I'm sure it will be the perfect engine for many people.

Now on a final note...Do I think the Ecoboost V6 is a replacement for the V8 engine? Personally no, If you remember just a few years ago, All the fuss was trying to convince Ford,GM and Dodge to make small displacement diesel's for their 1/2 ton trucks. Most of them being around 4.0L to 4.5L engines. But since then the price of diesel has sky rocketed, I'm sure the researchers at these company's don't think a small diesel would sell now for two reason's...

Price of diesel fuel is quite a bit more than gasoline now

The cost of developing and building a small diesel would mean that they would have to charge up to 8,000 extra dollars over the top gas engine offered in 1/2 tons. Meaning that your average Joe 25K 1/2 ton suddenly becomes a near 40K truck with only 1 option...The diesel.

Instead of the Ecoboost replacing the modern V8, I like to look at it as a replacement for the baby power stroke that was for all other accounts born a still birth.

It should also be noted that, I have heard many rumors that when the F-150 does receive a redesign in the 2014 or 2015 Ford is planning on using much lighter weight materials such as high grade aluminum instead of Cast Iron on huge high weight things such as the Frame...This could potentially reduce the overall weight of the trucks 1,000+lbs. Which in turn would make it easier for Ford to meet their new C.A.F.E regulations, and thus keeping the V8 engine in 1/2 ton's alot easier. So imagine this...

2014-2015 F-150
1,000+lbs reduced weight over its predecessor.
Direct Injection = Standard on all engines
Forced Induction = Optional on select engines.
3.7L V6
3.5L Ecoboost
5.0L V8
6.2L V8

All able to achieve 20+MPG.

This is the future I hope for with 1/2 ton trucks. And very well could be seeing as the 5.0L and 6.2L were made to be upgraded, unlike the 5.4L and 4.6L.

Cheers!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Wow. Two things woudl have to hapen to drop 1000+lbs.

1) They would have horribly weak chassis. Think 1980 swiss cheese frame.

2) They would cost $20,000 more than they do now.

In Summary: Won't happen.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
it'd be cool if they did a full on Carbon Fiber chassis. I know a bus manufacturer already makes a 100% composite bus, but I still don't know how much more it costs (25%? 50%?) But I do know that LA Metro runs them, and even with a full composite structure they only saved about 15% in total weight. But then that's a fully composite frame and body structure. If you're only talking about the frame, they'd only save maybe 5% in total weight if it was carbon fiber.

Quick Reply: Turbo V6 in an F150?