1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust leak near manifold, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Ed in Maine
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust leak near manifold, what would you do?

I have heard a slight psh-psh-psh exhaust tick when at low RPM under load. I thought it was my temp probe in my down pipe but I tightened it up and no luck. I felt around the driver's exhaust manifold and it appears there is a slight leak, a little black around the manifold gasket junction. No sound difference at idle so it is tough to find. Can smell exhaust under truck though, but not in cab.
Clamps on down pipes look ok so I do not think it is them. Big pipe leaving turbo and going out back looks good. Boost is not lacking, can still get 20-25psi romping on it.

What should I do? Is there any harm in leaving it?
If I fix it, how difficult do the exh manifold bolts come out, as bad as ford gassers where every other one breaks?? If I get into it, should I do down pipe upgrade too?

Truck is just a camp truck, 5hrs each way though so I need it dependable. <10K mi / yr.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Read this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...eak-fixed.html

The bolts came out easily. Your results may vary.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Ed in Maine
More Turbo
Thanks Peter, I actually just found that one as I was scrolling through search hits. Good to know the came our easily. I am afraid it will be a different situation for me in Maine. The down pipe joints that connect to the manifolds are completely rusted, will need to cut those off before I even get to the manifold bolts...

Good tip on pulling the apron visibility of the bolts though, that gives me a little confidence.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:19 PM
throwdown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be having a similar problem. For the longest time, I have had what sounds like an exhaust leak. I figured it was the up-pipes although I could not see any soot. Now after replacing the uppies with an IH bellowed set, I still think I hear a leak.
It doesn't make noise at idle, or when I rev it in Neutral, but as soon as I get it under load I seem to hear that tell tale ticking noise.
After the pipes and a WW and new IC boots, 19# of boost is the most I can get. EGT's seem to be lower substantially.
Any thoughts?

Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine
Thanks Peter, I actually just found that one as I was scrolling through search hits. Good to know the came our easily. I am afraid it will be a different situation for me in Maine. The down pipe joints that connect to the manifolds are completely rusted, will need to cut those off before I even get to the manifold bolts...

Good tip on pulling the apron visibility of the bolts though, that gives me a little confidence.
With the fender liners out, all 8 bolts on each side were within easy reach. If you are going to have to cut the up-pipes, get the IH ones while you are at.

Originally Posted by throwdown
I may be having a similar problem. For the longest time, I have had what sounds like an exhaust leak. I figured it was the up-pipes although I could not see any soot. Now after replacing the uppies with an IH bellowed set, I still think I hear a leak.
It doesn't make noise at idle, or when I rev it in Neutral, but as soon as I get it under load I seem to hear that tell tale ticking noise.
After the pipes and a WW and new IC boots, 19# of boost is the most I can get. EGT's seem to be lower substantially.
Any thoughts?
Sounds exactly like my story. I am more than happy with the ceramic coated manifolds. If you do not want to go that extreme, pull yours and have a machine shop surface them flat. If you can't be without your truck that long, call Clay @ Riffraff and see what he can do for you on a non-coated set.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I have just got mine back from ceramic coating. I was surprised how easily the bolts came out. There was black grease on the end of each bolt so Im assuming some sort of anti seize was used. The only problem I had was access due to the steering arm. remember mines right hand drive. I dont know what your south paws are like. I checked the manifold surface with a straight edge and they were within tolerance although I fitted a Ford manifold gasket to be on the safe side.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I would also replace the exhaust pressure sensor tube.
With all that salt damage I would be very surprised if it is still in one piece.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
I checked the manifold surface with a straight edge and they were within tolerance although I fitted a Ford manifold gasket to be on the safe side.
Good post because if memory serves, the shop manual calls for this gasket anytime the manifold is removed. I just wonder how that thing can start to leak at the head when that has been it's home for all this time with no gasket.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:27 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Good post because if memory serves, the shop manual calls for this gasket anytime the manifold is removed. I just wonder how that thing can start to leak at the head when that has been it's home for all this time with no gasket.
X 2 Mike. It was dead square and its six years old. Unless one of the bolts worked itself loose, but I cant really see that happening.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Ed in Maine
More Turbo
You gotta be kidding me, there is no gasket between the manifold and head right now?? I will definitely be fitting one on.

The black goop on the bolts is VERY reassuring, I may give this a crack this weekend. I replaced my exh back press tube with some single flare fuel line last year, was a mother to get on, wish I would have waited until take the manifolds off! Was a cold winter last year and I needed that baby closing to stay warm at idle.

I may do my uppies too. How do I make sure I get the IH ones with better flow? IH part numbers, rough price? Bolts and doughnuts come with it? I have a nice IH dealer real close but they always look at me funny if I say ford...

Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 AM
throwdown
Senior User
There is no difference in flow, and there is no donuts. What you want is the bellowed up pipes that eliminate the donut. IH part # is, IH1837872C93. Bolts come with it.
Contact Clay at RiffRaff Performance and he can hook you up.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by throwdown
There is no difference in flow, and there is no donuts. What you want is the bellowed up pipes that eliminate the donut. IH part # is, IH1837872C93. Bolts come with it.
Contact Clay at RiffRaff Performance and he can hook you up.
Here are the International ones for you,

Riffraff Diesel: IH Bellowed Up-pipe Kit