Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Pop tester, injector lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pop tester, injector lines

Hey guys I am looking for a way to hook up the standard NPT fittings to an injector line, but don't have any spare lines to mess around with.

Anyone know what the thread is on an injector line, and/or how to hook it up for a pop-tester? I have all the other parts, but no adapter for the injector line.

Also, being that I have no spare lines... is there anyone that has a couple on hand and nothing else to do but sell them to me and ship out to 98075? Or a local Washington state chapter member could meet me somewhere near Issaquah/Bellevue/ish soon, that'd be just as nice.

Thanks,
Joshua

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if there is info here but ..........

http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...9L%20Injectors

Old 11-15-2009, 10:32 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Nope, but thanks for the great link anyway! Now I know what to do after I get my pop tester working...

Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Everyone that has built a pop testor that I know of used an injection line they bought at a salvage yard.

Cut the line in half, braze a fitting on the end that will attach to your pump, and thread the injector on the stock end.

For pumps, I have heard of grease guns and bottle jacks or even porta power pumps being used.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 AM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Thanks Dave!

I'm using this write-up I found...
How to build a diesel injector pop tester - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

It's for mercedes engines but most of the info is perfectly compatible to our set-ups, for anyone else interested in making one.

Trouble is, the nearest junk yard is 1.5 hours round trip for me just to pull a line, and they aren't open on mondays, which are my only day off.

Is brazing hard? I just started welding, could I weld the thread-end of a taken apart injector to a steel 1/4" NPT peice? I've never taken them apart yet, not sure how thick that metal is.

Thanks,
Joshua

Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welding your pipe thread fitting to an injector body would defeat the purpose.
Since you would have to change injector body parts to change injectors, you pressures would also change.

You need to have a thread on fuel line so you can pop the injector, then remove it from the testor without taking the injector apart when you get the pressure set.

That is probably the best looking home built unit of the bunch that I have seen, although I have also seen one using a porta power pump where everything is mounted to a bench that is very close.

I find brazing easier on things like the injection lines, but that is just me.
As a kid I spent to much time watching my grandfather doing body work using brass and lead instead of bondo.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
I hear on on that, Dave, I took it one step further:

I destroyed an injector body so that I could weld the thread end onto the pop tester piping so that I could take a funtional line off my truck for the night and test it that way, without ruining any of the only 8 lines that I have! Plus when I get a line in the future, I can just thread it and call it good. But from the trouble of being a novice welder, brazing is looking pretty good...

I've seen one or two made from the porta-power, but I couldn't get one anywhere NEAR as cheap as a $10 standard jack, plus it was one of two reasons that got me into welding, so I call it a win all around.

If you read the thread that I posted the welder that did the work for that guy said there can sometimes be "micro cracks" in the weld that don't hold pressure... Yeah well now I know what he's talking about! I couldn't build any pressure when I tried it the other night, then I realized that I had fuel leaking off my welds. If I pumped faster, a fine mist came from three different spots, oops. So now I get to grind out and re-weld.

Thanks again for the replies and imput!