7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:37 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
4. Seeing as the Ford Racing cooler can be indexed, why not use it and avoid all the hose issues associated with remote mount adapters?

I agree. When I do this again I will probably use the Ford Racing Adapter instead of the remote oil filter kit.

5. How likely is the breach of coolant into the oem cooler? There has to be thousands out there running the stock set up without issue.

I have two other 460 equipped trucks with the stock set-up and neither one has shown any signs of heat exchanger failure... yet. My 1997 F-350 Dually has 170K miles on it and my 1995 F-250 4x4 has 130K, they are both fine so far.

The one that failed was my 1996 F-350 SRW with 145K on it. I guess you can't predict heat exchanger failure by mileage. Since I check the oil and coolant often I'm sure I'll catch any heat exchanger problems on the other two trucks in plenty of time.

I am seriously considering this mod but don't like losing the cooling capacity provided by the oem cooler. I will be towing a TT/5er with my truck, in hot weather, and am hesitant about the mod for reasons explained above.
I think installing a bigger radiator would be much more effective at cooling the engine than adding an oil cooler to compensate for the loss of the OEM heat exchanger. The Ford Racing Adapter should be fine in that case.

Most important is a very good transmission cooler. That and a bigger radiator would be my priorities for building a tow vehicle that doesn't overheat.

Btw my dual filter kit is still holding up despite overheating both the engine and transmission while towing a 6000 lb. tractor on a 16 ft. flatbed up some very steep hills. The radiator blew a hose and the tranny blew the front seal but the dual filter kit was fine.

I replaced the hose and the tranny seal and the truck still runs and shifts perfect. Gotta love the 460/E4OD combo!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:21 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
Also, how much engine oil cooling can be expected by using 100% synthetic oil. Maybe this is the solution to engine oil cooling to make up for the loss of the oem cooler.

I can't say for certain how much it helps cooling, but synthetic oil definitely retains more viscosity at higher temps and lasts much longer than regular oil.

I'm a 100% believer in synthetic oil. I've used Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my trucks for years and I've never had an internal engine part wear out.

Here's what first sold me on it; I once bought a 1978 Ford E-250 van with 190K miles on it. The 351 engine had a worn connecting rod bearing which would knock on start-up but go quiet in a few seconds when the oil pressure came up. I put Mobil 1 synthetic in it and drove it until I sold it with 310K miles on it. The 3-second rod knock never went away, but it never got any worse.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am also a big fan of synthetic fluids. I had an older chevy that had some crankcase pressure issues due to low tension rings. I would get smoke out of the valve cover breathers. The synthetic oil does not burn like conventional oil so it helped with that issue.

For better cooling I installed an aluminum radiator. http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...s__CC1451.html

Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I've read some posts on not using synthetic on these older engines as they cause or result in oils leaks

Old 09-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
I've read some posts on not using synthetic on these older engines as they cause or result in oils leaks
The synthetic oil will find any leaks but those should be repaired anyways. I don't think that is a disqualifier but something you should be aware of. Unless you like lubricated seals, lol.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:50 PM
CircleRat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pappawheely
For better cooling I installed an aluminum radiator. http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...s__CC1451.html

Thanks for that link. I see the 4-row Champion aluminum radiator is not available for my 1997 F-350 Dually. How is that 3-row working out for you? Is there a big difference from stock?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by CircleRat
Thanks for that link. I see the 4-row Champion aluminum radiator is not available for my 1997 F-350 Dually. How is that 3-row working out for you? Is there a big difference from stock?
I am just getting the truck back on the road from a complete steering overhaul, I will let you know.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
CircleRat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pappawheely
I am just getting the truck back on the road from a complete steering overhaul, I will let you know.

Thanks. Looks great!

I've never had that happen in any of the older engines I've used synthetic in, no matter how many miles on them.

There are many myths floating around about synthetic oil. Some of them may have been true back when synthetic first came out years ago, but there have been many improvements in the formulas since then. The leaking issue was addressed a long time ago by adding an ingredient that swells gaskets like regular oil does.

One myth that's never been true is the one that says once you use synthetic, you can't go back to regular oil. Another is that you can't mix synthetic with regular oil. Both these are, and have always been, pure BS.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:33 PM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
I was inspired by this thread to give this a whirl but I have a question that I haven't seen addressed here (may have missed it). Here it is. I purchased the Summit house brand model with the aluminum straight ahead connectors (mistake?). Both of the adapters have an In and and Out designation. So, what is the proper way to route the hoses? My guess is:
Out on the block goes to In on the remote.
Out on the remote goes to In on the block.
I've heard that some oil filters have a check valve that enforces a specific direction of flow so getting this wrong could have dire consequences.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by flowney
I was inspired by this thread to give this a whirl but I have a question that I haven't seen addressed here (may have missed it). Here it is. I purchased the Summit house brand model with the aluminum straight ahead connectors (mistake?). Both of the adapters have an In and and Out designation. So, what is the proper way to route the hoses? My guess is:
Out on the block goes to In on the remote.
Out on the remote goes to In on the block.
I've heard that some oil filters have a check valve that enforces a specific direction of flow so getting this wrong could have dire consequences.
You have it right.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eakermeld
1/2" pressure side and 5/8" return side. The theory is that you can get plenty of oil thru the 1/2" hose because it is under pressure. The 5/8" return allows free-er flow back to the block because the filters are robbing some pressure. This theory could just be all wet cause really both sides should be pressurized the same to some extent. I really don't know if the return side goes back to sump or not. I have never researched it, all I know is it works for me. Others have the same size hoses and it works fine for them. Does look unique, though......
I must have had to much to drink the night I made this comment!

The return side DOES NOT go to sump, It goes to the oil galleys in the block. That way you have clean, filtered, and pressurized oil going to your bearings.

I'm throwing that sauce in the trash if it makes me write stuff like that!

Old 01-04-2015, 04:21 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not to hijack, but Mobile One is not what it once was. The base stock they use was changed a few years back and is now inferior. Lots of info out there about this topic and I warn people to research it. In the testing I saw by a university many conventional oils now out perform Mobile One in wear and longevity.

Pennzoil Ultra rates very highly and is what I have switched to after using M1 for a long time. It is made from natural gas believe it or not. One of the best in all testing is made from animal fat, G-Oil. Best conventional oils are almost as good as the best syn and better for some applications like vehicles that are rarely driven and sit a lot.

Don't just accept that Mobile One is still the gold standard based on the name they built being the first big syn oil. Don't just accept the advice of some dude on a forum either without your own research. Things have changed in motor oil the last few years. Read up if it matters to you.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Florida 350
Junior User
Great info here, as I just had a big engine built and was not about to throw that stupid cooler back on. Thanks for all the advice and comments. I ended up going the route of the L&L kit. It is a 100% complete kit with the adapter and all that, and by the time I got high pressure hoses made, etc. this was about the same cost. THe hoses on this kit are 1,750 PSI. A big selling point is the retaining bolt has 4 large holes for increased flow in any position. I wiill have it on in a couple weeks when I get my engine back and will post some pics of it installed.

Part number 040183, I got it at National Tire & Wheel for a really good price.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:00 AM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I found this

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr....asp?RecID=125

2.87 long. I know it is short but honestly a lot of oil gets bypassed around the filter anyway when oil is cold or when RPM is high. GM uses very small filters on their engines now. If a LS motor in a Vette or SS Camaro is OK with a small filter then my low revving 460 should be. I think it may fit right on the block with the thread adapter. Could be a good option at least until someone figures out their plumbing. I can't seem to find a Fram part number for it

This Fram is 3.09 long PH7328 the gasket is the right diameter
http://www.autozone.com/routine-main...artNumber=true

The Dodge filter that was tried is over 4" long.

I am going to get one and try it. Can anyone remember actually measuring the distance between the block and the crossmember? I will see if I can look tomorrow and get a rough measurement (My factory cooler is still in place).

Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at the filter for the Chrysler 2.2L, Fram PH3614 it is 3.34" high X 2.98" OD. I know it fits the thread because I ran a PH8 (Ford) on my 2.2L TurboII engine.

I personally prefer the larger filters, not for flow but dirt capacity. I found that the mini filter on my Olds diesel could be replaced with an older Oldsmobile full size filter.

I was fortunate in scoring a complete system from a junkyard. It came off an early (88-early 90) EFI 460 in a dump truck. It has the factory adapter which goes in place of the pre-EFI adapter. It looks almost exactly the same except the bosses are drilled and tapped for the end plugs and fittings. I even got the clamp that holds the lines to the bottom of the radiator support.

Quick Reply: 7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure