7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:31 AM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw that filter too (PH3614) but the PH7328 is slightly shorter with a full size diameter. It is in stock at my local auto zone. It is an older model Volvo filter.

If I KNEW the Ford Racing 90* adapter would work without hitting the lower coolant hose or belt or whatever, I would gladly buy one of those. The remote filter just doesn't look safe at all unless the high quality crimped hoses are used. Even then the routing of the hoses seems haphazard at best and a time bomb at worst. We are talking about the main supply of oil to the most critical internal engine components. A coolant line can rupture and most of the time the engine can be shut down before damage is done. This oil line ruptures and instantly the bearings are without oil. I do like the idea of a extra long filter for the extra capacity but in all honesty it isn't really needed but just a nice idea for posterity sake.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:10 AM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Well my radiator just started leaking on the right tank toward the bottom. I guess now is a good time to remove the oil cooler and such and replace the hoses. I am not sure which route to replace the cooler/adapter I will take but I am going to see if one of the above filters will work directly on the block. Curiosity you know.

I have my seat at the upholstery shop so I guess I will just keep it down until I get some of these little projects taken care of which I have been putting off.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:22 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You will have to change the fitting in the block, the present one is female thread, you need a male thread for the filter to screw onto.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
You will have to change the fitting in the block, the present one is female thread, you need a male thread for the filter to screw onto.
Yeah. I have one on my ebay watch list but I wonder if the one in my old adapter will work? I will look tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

It's a different thread in the block and the adapter.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:52 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Another FYI, the hose that a few guys had thought would work, the one from a 87 with a 460, won't work because the water pump inlet end of the hose is too big. I guess the inlets are bigger on the older trucks than the 92-96.

The 89 5.8 hose does work but is not shaped as nice as the 87 460 hose. The 5.8 hose would make the Ford Racing adapter and filter pretty hard to use.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
OK, I have decided on these parts and hoses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321629752114?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390985141646?rmvSB=true
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331398823125?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Custom hydraulic hose with swivel fitting on one end. Should NEVER leak with just pressure from engine oil. Rated at 3900 PSI and 36" long.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360879613076?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The plan is to leave the filter bypass adapter on the engine and come forward and down beside the pan. Run along the crossmember with the power steering cooler lines and over to where the charcoal canisters used to be mounted on the chassis. I plan to mount the filter on its side with the bottom facing the front of the truck. Should be easy to drain and easy to remove. Will post pics when done.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, seeing as there has been a lot of interest in the Ford Racing adapter since the start of this thread (including myself), but no one has posted any evidence of it working; I thought I'd go ahead and be the guinea pig... Well, I let Betty be the guinea pig I guess.

My water pump/timing cover started leaking a few weeks ago, and seeing as I had everything torn apart anyways, I figured why not ditch the factory oil cooler at the same time... Unfortunately I had procrastinated on ordering the Ford racing adapter months ago. Now that I needed one, I couldn't get it for about 7 days with shipping... And of course I needed the truck back on the road right away.

I got a Mr. Gasket remote oil filter kit just to get me by, and also ordered the Ford Racing Adpater.... and boy am I glad I did. That stupid remote filter did nothing but leak no matter how snug the fittings were (specs said do not torque more than 20 ft/lbs or the housing would crack, and I fully believe that. So I just lived with Betty marking her territory wherever she went. Biggest waste of $70, but I had no choice.

I just put the Ford Racing adapter on today and it works fine. Biggest hassle was getting the damn Mr Gasket adapter off the block... Nothing to grab onto easily, but a pair of Knipex (best tool purchase in a while) and much cursing and it came off.

Here you see the threaded insert that I had already installed in place of the original:

Ford Racing Adapter:

Mounted on the block:

Install a filter of your choice and you're ready to roll.... If your choice is anything but a Motorcraft, slap yourself upside the head repeatedly, then go get one...

All you need to do is follow the instructions listed elsewhere in this thread to remove the stock cooler. I used a lower Rad hose for a '90 F-250 with a 351W - Works perfect. Clearance is not bad, looks tight in the picture, but there is 1"+ to the rad hose and steering box. You can easily get your hand in over top of the rad hose to change the filter.

I feel much better now knowing there are no hoses to blow off, and no chance of my oil cooler failing taking out my engine. I don't work this truck hard at this time (Daily Driver) and I change my oil regularly, so I don't think the loss of cooling will be an issue. (there are tons of other hard working V8's out there with no coolers)

Hope this helps anyone who is deciding to go this Route!

Old 03-09-2015, 04:56 PM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
Looks very Nice. Here's a question. The remote approach to this requires the Big Block Ford Oil Filter Insert Adapter and I see from the pics that you had this in place for the remote solution. So, did you have to remove this part or is it required for the Ford Racing Adapter?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:31 PM
F350JOHN
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm glad you all kept the thread alive so long. It's been years since I sold my F-350.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the write up and pics.

I have kept my oem cooler in place. I removed it for inspection and all looked good so I left it. (my truck only has 60K original miles).

Knowing that the oem cooler could fail at anytime, I have considered doing this mod with the Ford Racing adapter.

My concern is that the loss of cooling would not be a good thing. Ford engineers added this cooler as they must believe that it is needed to keep engine cool. Perhaps something in the year cooler was created caused engine to run hotter than older engines.

I do tow with my truck in a hot climate so ultimately that is why I left it on. I would love a way to get rid of it but still add cooling (just like I added a trans cooler to the front of the AC condenser). Now there is no room in front of condenser to add any additional coolers.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by flowney
Looks very Nice. Here's a question. The remote approach to this requires the Big Block Ford Oil Filter Insert Adapter and I see from the pics that you had this in place for the remote solution. So, did you have to remove this part or is it required for the Ford Racing Adapter?

It is still required for the ford racing adapter...

Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
Thanks for the write up and pics.

I have kept my oem cooler in place. I removed it for inspection and all looked good so I left it. (my truck only has 60K original miles).

Knowing that the oem cooler could fail at anytime, I have considered doing this mod with the Ford Racing adapter.

My concern is that the loss of cooling would not be a good thing. Ford engineers added this cooler as they must believe that it is needed to keep engine cool. Perhaps something in the year cooler was created caused engine to run hotter than older engines.

I do tow with my truck in a hot climate so ultimately that is why I left it on. I would love a way to get rid of it but still add cooling (just like I added a trans cooler to the front of the AC condenser). Now there is no room in front of condenser to add any additional coolers.

Having looked at the OEM cooler, I think lack of coolant changes would be the only thing that would cause it to fail prematurely. Appears to be fairly well built, but electrolysis doesn't care about that...

That being said, all partys have a duty life, and I wasn't about to take a chance with 300K right around the corner.

I don't think anything changed other than the fact it was known these trucks would be used, and they would be used HARD. Oil can break down when it gets too hot. But with todays better oils, I'm not too worried. If I was gonna be pushing my truck to the limit on a daily basis, I would probably add an additional cooler....

Old 03-09-2015, 08:47 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

The first 2 years of the EFI 460 and part of the third had an air to oil cooler. Prior to 1988 the cooler was apparently optional. It may have been that with the addition of the catalytic converter the engines ran a lot hotter under load.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I am not giving up on the idea of a remote mount cooler, because I know it is inevitable that my Long cooler will fail. I believe Ford installed the Long coolers, because these 460's were built to tow, and yes the oils we are using these days are better from both a physical and chemical aspect, so we should be fine without the cooler for most mild towing applications. I am half way tempted to create my own remote mount cooler with custom hoses(with proper fittings) to withstand any rigorous towing I might do... With 3.55 gears I need to worry more about a tranny cooler, which will be earlier in the pecking order for me.

Sent from my iPad using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: 7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure