1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

What is the best overall model year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
stuff123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best overall model year?

I am looking to buy an expedition, and have no experience with them at all. I was wondering if any year stood out as being better than the rest, or if there is any options I should look for, or avoid.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2009, 07:57 AM
04markIII
Elder User
it all depends on what you are looking for. there will be lots of opinions on this. imo gen 2(03-06) or 3(07+) are better, for various features that i like, like fold flat 3rd row seat, and a more car-like ride. 97-02's has spark plug blowout problems. 05+ have spark plugs that can break off in the head. 03-06 had rear diff clutchpak problems. don't get me wrong, these are great vehicles. i have put about 56k miles on my 03 in just over 3 years, and i am a happy owner. someday, someone will buy this, and i will buy another...an 07+ el.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
From '97 to current, there are millions of these trucks still in service. That a great testimonial as to thier build quality. In '03 Ford came out with the independant rear suspension, fold flat third row seat and standard 17" wheels.

My '04 have been bulletproof and ride fantastic. I commonly have to look down at the speedo to see how fast I going as it feels like I'm barely moving.

In my mind, the newer the better but you can't go wrong either way.

Tim

Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally like the 1st gens - 1997 to 2002s. They're built like a truck and feel like a tuck because they are. Basically an enclosed F-150. From being on the forums, here's what I can tell you about the early vehicles:

Spark plug issue is due, in my opinion overall, to wrongful installation and use of other spark plugs besides the Motorcraft brand. They are aluminum heads so they don't need to be torqued real tight like we generally do on cast iron heads.

1999 had the head issue where it was milled wrongly and caused an oil leak...don't know how big of problem that was. Additionally, I believe 99 was the first year Ford did away with the 2H option and went to AWD - 4H - 4L on 4WD equipped vehicles. Not a problem per say, just a side note...

Also, IIRC, after 99, 5.4L got equipped with the Super Duty transmission behind it.

Avoid Expys with the air ride suspension. A lot of people have problems with the air bags leaking and it's just expensive to repair. If you do though, you can replace them with standard springs like the other models had and you are good.

I wouldn't go with the 4.6L either. People say it's doggy and I believe them. You will happier in the long run with the 5.4L. It's a heavy vehicle and the extra power is nice to have on tap. Also, I'd personally avoid the Expys with the smaller 8.8" rear end (very easy to distinguish between the two). If you need to tow anything, you know you have a bigger and sturdier rear end that can do it. Just my opinion though...

If you find one, check all the doors for rust on the at the bottom on the inside. It's a common area for rust to develop due to drainage problems. However, there is nothing that cannot be fixed.

Honestly, I love the way mine is equipped and I'd recommend doing the same:
I have a 97 with the 5.4L, 4WD, 9.75" rear end w/ 3.73 limited slip. Cloth interior, rear A/C, etc. It's an XLT model. Came with factory tow package and has all the external oil coolers, etc - although you can add those yourself.

If you find one, there are decoders for the VIN and door tag here that will tell you EXACTLY what the truck is equipped with.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
A little more info would help. You are talking about a span of ten years production with two distinctly different models. Prices range from $2500-25,000 depnding on what year interests you.

With a little more info, we could give some good advice.

I think the '99 is the best year...PI heads on the 5.4 with a forged crank and aluminum intake, 4r100 trans, and the rest is pretty standard fare. To me, the back seat in the '03 and up models is worthless unless your passengers are under 4 ft tall. The seat is way too close to the floor. I also use mine off road and agree that the solid axle rear, F150 based Expy is more desirable for my uses.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
1whoseeks
Junior User
2002 model

I have 2002 5.4 xlt 2wd auto. Bought it used dirt cheap. Had it three years with only a couple of small things. #4 and #8 coil on plugs called it quits on me. I get 15-16 mpg mixed use. I never do off road. It is a daily transporter for me. I survived a rear end collision from a semi before this vehicle and wanted more weight around me. That's why i like my expy.
No real major problems at near 100,000 miles. So find one you like and let a trusted mechanic look at it. As far what the best year may be, i feel you need to look into what deals you can find. Good luck in your search.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:55 AM
johnpvb
Mountain Pass
As an owner of a 97 Expy EB 4x4 with LLS, I can agree with 97Expguy's comments (and mine must be a clone of his!) I personally like the first generation, other than the awkward 3rd row seat that always sits in the garage except on the rare occasion when I need the extra people capacity. My repair history mirrors what others have experienced other than no plug problems. In general a very good truck with great hauling capacity.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
soundtransmission
Junior User
Absolutely love my 06 Eddie Bauer, and with 110,000 miles on it, nothing has gone wrong out of the ordinary. Aiming for a couple hundred more thousand. Best vehicle ever as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
could not be happier with my 06 4x4 EB. had to put some dollars into it because it had been wrecked. really wish it had the LSD, but thats it. wife will be taking it from me and i will go back to an F150 but the expy has actually been better for hauling longer objects than the truck was. I know your question was what is the best year - but you really won't go wrong with any of them. You have obviously seen the issues with the air suspension - but it really depends on what you are going to do with it. The older ones follow the truck path more IMO, the newer ones are very capable perfect-sized family vehicles that will pull trailers and haul junk, but still let you wear a suit and ride in complete comfort when needed also (not that the older ones wouldn't). (ps if you are looking at comparables - I drove suburbans, yukons, tahoes, escalades, sequoias, etc - always ended up comparing them to the Expy, so that decision was made). also wife came out of a pilot because she wanted something smaller and more car-like - she chose a cx-7. She said she can not wait to take the expy from me. says alot about how comfortable and easy to drive they are. Good luck, Mike.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:39 AM
soundtransmission
Junior User
That is a very good point - I've driven every comparative size SUV and the Expy wins, hands down. They handle better, more comfortable to drive, more comfortable for passengers, and have more power than all (except maybe the Suburban).

Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
stuff123
New User
Thanks for all the reply's. They are all very helpful. What I am looking for is a vehicle that I could take on long highway road trips then off road too. not serious rock crawling just forest service & BLM type roads.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by stuff123
Thanks for all the reply's. They are all very helpful. What I am looking for is a vehicle that I could take on long highway road trips then off road too. not serious rock crawling just forest service & BLM type roads.
Then a properly Expy will answer the call.

Tim

Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Floatsun
Freshman User
I recently ended up with a '99 after scrutinizing for near a year.
Had a Cherokee and a Silverado for my use for a couple of years.
Wife drives a Trail Blazer and loves it,,, Her needs / taste are different than mine.
I loved the Cherokee. Just a bit cramped,, and wouldn't think about hauling (stopping) a 3500# boat trailer with it though. Silverado stayed pretty much attatched to boat year round. (Note, IMHO, Chevy brakes are scary!)
Cherokee was nicer for the beach runs, hunting, and takeing the dogs off the porch.
Looked, tested, looked, thought, looked and all several times.
Got persuaded to test the Expedition. I balked at the size, scared of mpg, etc.
Well, I drove it.
Danged! It's a Cherokee on steroids!!!!!
Well, interestingly spent 2 days studying on internet and running around trying all sorts of things. Newer Expos, Tahoes, Burbs, Yukons....
I ran back and grabbed the '99 because of it's truck like maners and Cherokee function. Tis no car or Blazer. Probably not Socker Mom material for the 5 ft. and under crowd.
I only hope it lives up to my high expectations. Expecting something like a oversized Cherokee is asking a lot. Them things are awsome. I'm just a little big (6'3" @ 235#) to be comfortable on long runs and the trailering / beach runs are hard too.
Strangely, I always get more than the EPA says for milage on vehicles. Wonder how the Exper. is going to fair.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
gtrigg
New User
ill put it like this, im an electrical engr. and professional musician and travel a lot my expy (2001) 2wd eddie b is the best truck (vehicle) ive ever had as far as comfort, cant beat it, towing, i live in dallas tx. i was on my was to houma la. and there was a dodge 3500 dually having troubles, i stopped to help he was pulling a 32ftcar trailor loaded and i pulled him and trailor fromjust outside of terrel to shreveport at 80mph up and down hill the whole way and still today have yet to have any problems, other than a couple of small things like the alarm shutting my fuel system of and needing to be recoded hahaha hasent been driven in the last 2 weeks trying to figure out how to do that myself, (im trying not to well im determined not to go to the ford house to get it recoded) but< out side of that nothing else ince i bought it brand new, oh one plug blow out and thats it, going on 180,000 mls good huh.