Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
New User

Sais13579 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coil Spring Mounting Bracket

I was driving down the road and thud. That was the sound of my front passenger side coil spring busting out the rusted mount. I have one strut which mounts into the bracket along with the top of the coil. It seems I can only get it from a ford dealer, and they say that my 1994 part is not made anymore for manual locking hubs. However, for self locking hubs the part is still made. Is there any difference in the bracket part? Is it just an extra clip or hole on the self locking one?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Elder User

fishforlife2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sais13579 View Post
I was driving down the road and thud. That was the sound of my front passenger side coil spring busting out the rusted mount. I have one strut which mounts into the bracket along with the top of the coil. It seems I can only get it from a ford dealer, and they say that my 1994 part is not made anymore for manual locking hubs. However, for self locking hubs the part is still made. Is there any difference in the bracket part? Is it just an extra clip or hole on the self locking one?
maybe im misunderstaning you..but that made little if no sense. did it bust through the top mount? out of the bottom cup? these trucks have shocks not struts, unless you have some suspension mod. the part that confusing me is it sounds like you are talking about the top spring mount, but then you are talking about your hubs, which muddies everything up since your spring mount should have nothing to do with your hubs. got any pics? give us a lil more man!also the year make model, and 2wd/4wd would help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylBill View Post
The only way this Bronco could get any better is if Jessica Alba and Lindsey Lohan made love and waxed this Bronco with their combined love juices.
1995 F150 Flareside w/ six cylinders of fury, SAS'd, Locked, and sittin on 35's for now
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM
New User

There is one shock absorber.

The hubs were included because the parts dept told me they can get me a bracket for a self locking hub but not a manual locking one. I just don't see what effect that would have on what type of bracket I would need. The bracket is not even connected to the axle.

The coil broke a hole near the top mount. The hole is in the bracket structure. I don't know the name of the bracket.

My question to the group is does anyone know whether or not the fact that I have manual locking hubs will prevent me from being able to use a bracket termed for self locking hubs?

1994 F 150 4wd l6
Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
I can't possibly imagine what voodoo magic Ford is using to determine that auto hubs require a different coil bucket than manual hubs. That ranks up there as one of the more absurd things I've read lately.

That being said, I would just get one from a junkyard rather than pay Ford's prices.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Elder User

i dont see any reason at all that manual v. auto locking hubs would have anything to do with it. cheapest route for replacement would be to go grab one from a junk yard, and put it in place of the old one, just using bolts instead of those beast azz rivets. i know that JBG(jeffsbroncograveyard.com) has them, and you should be able to get them from LMC as well. but like i said i would just go to a junkyard, a grab one off a truck right there. and just so we are clear, you are talking about the upper spring mount that holds the top of the spring, and shock(s) and is riveted to the frame? if you do go the junkyard route, be sure to remember to get the upper spring retainer clip so your spring doesnt pop out on ya, and give it a good cleanup with a wirewheel, and a fresh coat of paint so this doesnt happen again.(at least on that side)

Quote:
The only way this Bronco could get any better is if Jessica Alba and Lindsey Lohan made love and waxed this Bronco with their combined love juices.
1995 F150 Flareside w/ six cylinders of fury, SAS'd, Locked, and sittin on 35's for now
Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
New User

Thanks for the great input guys. I called the local junkyard but they don't have it.

Yes I am talking about the upper spring mount that holds the top of the spring, and shock and is riveted to the frame.

As for the rivets, how in the heck do I get those out?

I am definitely just going to bolt the new one on like fishforlife said.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
You have to drill or grind them out. Try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to find a junkyard near you.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Senior User

donniezyea is starting off with a positive reputation.
donnie.race?fref=ts
Hey i just ordered a free catalog from bronco graveyard.com and couldnt help but see the part you need. page 109 Coil Spring Tower 80-96 same part brand new you just have to pick one shock. i belive front pass side would be rh side with single shock 90 bucks brand new from them. I am thinking of replacing mine on my 86 they do look rusty, but i dont look forward to grinding out the factory rivits.
(I have a parts frame with dual shocks that are good but you only need single so)
-1996 F-250 4x4 351 3.55 5 speed zf plow truck
-2004 F-350 6.0 auto cc sb srw lariat egr delete diesel site coolant filter 5w40 rotella t6 4"mbrp edge cts insight updated oil cooler Atlis 40
Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Elder User

to get those rivets out grind off the top of the heads as best you can and then take a punch ( sized in relation to the rivet size ) and a BFH and after the head is ground out punch the rest of the shank through. while you have the buckets off take a chance to wirewheel the frame to clean it up, and then hit it with a coat of paint. not only will it look better but it will help out on slowing down/ stopping the corrosion. A word of advise, dont skimp on bolts. it may cost you a couple extra bucks, but a grade 8 bolt, lockwasher, and nut is the only thing that i would consider for this. just my 2cent's...

Quote:
Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1990, 1992, 1996, 90, bracket, bucket, coil, f150, ford, mount, mounting, mounts, spring, tower, upper