Sponsored by:

Ready to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Erikh425
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to pull the trigger

Well, after several months of looking at and driving excursions I was pretty set on a diesel. After searching this board and almost finishing the entire internet I was sure I wanted a 7.3 or a V10. Reliability and ease of maintenance is big. Finding a 7.3 within 500 miles is near impossible. I have found a V10 150 miles away that I like and the price is right. 2000 XLT 108,000mi. I also figure that if I hate the V10 for whatever reason I will keep my eyes open and trade if I fall in love with a 7.3
I have looked at it once and it was in very good condition. The first time I looked at it the dealer was aware I was coming and had it inside and all detailed. I have spoken to them on the phone since and we came up with a good price. I called tonight and they said it was still on the lot. Tomorrow I plan to show up in the morning and take a look at it cold (as it is parked, no detailing) to see what condition it is in after being driven a bit. If it still looks good I am going to take it.
I am aware of the checklist of leaks to look for, and some of the issues. Went to a local dealer and they printed me an Oasis report. It shows one owner from Nevada, and usual things being checked for the first few years of its life. It has an open warranty claim on the speed control system. Other than that, there is not much else. The dealer ran a Carfax when I was there and that was clean as well. No major or minor accidents reported.

Any final words of wisdom before I head down in the morning? I am fairly excited, but at the same time I always go with the attitude that something will go wrong.

Erik

Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
good luck! the day i bought mine i was just looking, plus i wanted a 7.3 limited. but i drove her (v10 xlt) and had to have it! ahh it brings back memories.

just look it over good, drive it awhile..not just a short test drive..see what you think after that.

other then that have fun! and enjoy the damn thing lol

Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Be patient and purchase what you really want! If you think you may not like a

V-10, it will cost you to get rid of it and get a Diesel! I would just take it easy

and keep looking till you find what you want! After having 3 gas Subs and

finally buying a Diesel Ex I learned the hard way! I would have saved a ton of

money if I'd just bought the Diesel Ex from the beginning! Buyers remorse is

a drag, I've had it before! Just get what you really want, don't settle on

anything less!

As far as the motors I test drove several Excursions with the 5.4 6.8 gassers

and then the 7.3 and 6.0 Diesels. My opinion is that the gassers were both

much more sluggish and more thirsty than the Diesels. Test drive them both

before you purchase one! I guarantee if you drive a Diesel and then jump into

a V-10 you will be shocked at how gutless both the gassers are! I was shocked

at how weak the V-10 felt and the speedo seemed like it took forever to move!

Whatever you do drive all 3 motors, the 6.8, 7.3 & 6.0 before you buy!!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Erikh425
Junior User
The reasons that I want a diesel don't outweight the added cost of the truck and maintenance. I do tow a 19ft lund Tyee and a 4 place snowmobile trailer depending on what season it is, but I don't think I need a diesel for the amount of towing I am going to do. I don't think that I was being honest with myself as far as what my needs really are. Don't get me wrong, I may end up kicking myself.
I have driven all of the engines except the 5.4 and I do notice the difference between the 6.0-7.3 and the V10. But the big reason I want an Ex is because of the added interior room, and somewhat for the towing capability. I also worry about the temps up here in the winter. It is supposed to be -20 or colder tonight. I worry about returning to a diesel parked at a trailhead in this type of weather. I realize that this in probably not a valid fear, but fear of the unknown is a big factor. I appreciate the advice. keep it coming.

Erik

Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 AM
profounddd
Freshman User
ahhh this brings back memories! We can all go back and forth about the diesel/gas thing. Let me tell you my experience. I've owned 2 diesel trucks both 6.0's and loved them. They might have had issues down the line but I sold them with low mileage. My Wife gets pregnant and I figure I want an excursion. Did my homework on this site about the V10 and pulled the trigger on a mint 2000 4x4 with 70k for $12.5k cash. Truck was great and had zero problems. I wouldn't say they are slugs at all, snappy of the line, mine had 4.10's(a must have if you want to tow). Pulled my same toyhauler(12k loaded) well. Obviously you won't pull huge grades as fast, but hey, your towing and you shouldn't be flyn anyways. But to be completely honest...I missed having a diesel. Hey,I didn't need it, my v10 ex pulled fine and I only put 8k miles per year on my tow vehicles. Yet, I had that diesel itch. So I sold it after 1 year. I lost 2500 which was hard because I really never lost that much with my other diesels. Anyway, I took that money added some more money and found my self a 7.3 ex 4x4. Keep in mind exact same truck but with a 108k miles and diesel. Boy I tell ya, I love that thing. I actually have to sell because of my job situation but there is something about that torque and smell of diesel that gets me excited. I don't need it, but man I feel satisfied. I hate to let her go. My point is, getting what you need is the right thing to do, getting want you want feels super cool! And the real truth is...keep in mind i've owned both... is the v10 is cheaper to maintain but you will get killed on depreciaton and if you don't put that much mileage on per year like me, maintence is not bad. Also, you will read alot about how the v10 can get decent gas mileage, don't believe it, they love to drink. I know mine was worse with 4.10's but damn. My diesel ex get 17 in town and over 20 on the freeway. Does't sound that dramatic untill you owned them back to back same year and everything. So take a long look in the mirror and say to yourself...how hard have I worked? Will a couple grand more really break me? Sorry to be the devils advocate! Good luck!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Erikh425
Junior User
Did battle with the dealer today. Came away with a deal I was happy with. Long story short, there is an Excursion in the driveway. Thanks to this site I was able to go in with some knowledge. The truck is going to my mechanic tomorrow and barring any major issues it is a done deal. Thanks for the help in this thread and all of the others. Looks like I will be hanging my hat here now.

Erik

Here is a link to a pic:
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...cursion/ex.jpg

Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Erikh425
Did battle with the dealer today. Came away with a deal I was happy with. Long story short, there is an Excursion in the driveway. Thanks to this site I was able to go in with some knowledge. The truck is going to my mechanic tomorrow and barring any major issues it is a done deal. Thanks for the help in this thread and all of the others. Looks like I will be hanging my hat here now.

Erik

Here is a link to a pic:
HEY! Thats my older Excursion! Don't buy it, lots of problems man!

Nah just kidding! Congrats!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
1buzzbait
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
good lookin whip!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Erikh425
Junior User
Originally Posted by scottman70
You had me for one second. Good one. It took me that one second to remember that I googled the previous owner from the Oasis report and called him. If I hadn't done that you woulda had me.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
looks great!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
It took me six months to decide between the gasser and diesel, it took me another 1 1/2 years to decide how much I wanted to spend on a diesel (ie. limited, XLT and all of the other wonderful things to make life nicer) and then it took another year to find the right one. Now I have a big, bad *** DIESEL blocking the view of my house. If the motor blows tommorrow,and it could with me showing my off a$$ with the 140hp race tune, it wouldm't bother me any, because I've found my true LOVE. Enjoy and congrats.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I like the 05's because of the small changes they did to it. The headlights, grill, all the controls on the steering wheel etc. As for the diesel vs gas. Had them both. Now have the diesel and love it. This truck was made to have a diesel under the hood. 7.3 or 6.0, doesn't matter.

Just like the 250's and 350's need a diesel this beast needs one too.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
I remember doing the same thing. Diesel or Gas? Couldn't find a diesel then found a V10 on the internet at a Honda Dealer 4 hours away. I haggled on a price over the phone then gave him the info for a loan and told him I would be there before they closed that night (8:00p.m.)and to have all paperwork ready to be signed. Got there (7:30p.m.) drove it, signed the paperwork and headed home.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
scottf4444
Elder User
Originally Posted by scottman70

Nah just kidding! Congrats!
Hilarious!

Congrats on the Ex and welcome!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Originally Posted by Erikh425

Erik

Here is a link to a pic:
Good looking truck! Congrats!

IMHO, you'll enjoy the V10. Pulls my 4 place enclosed with no problems. And although you probably wouldn't have had a problem starting the diesel at the trailhead at the end of the day, your heater won't be warming up the truck any while you're loading sleds.

By the time I've got mine loaded, it's about 93 degrees inside my truck.