1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Thinning the Herd

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinning the Herd

I had to have more room, so I sold some of my trucks. I sold my '50 F-1 parts truck. All that was left of it was the rolling chassis, cab, and bed box. All pretty rusted up. I also sold my '50 F-2 which was also in rough shape. I sold them to a local shop that deals in older ford parts, so, I know they will not go to the crusher. I had gotten all the parts off of them that I needed for my current project. If there is something that I missed, I can always go and buy them back. While I was there, I talked about a deal on a 9" rear end with 3.25 gears for $ 275.00. Haven't closed the deal as I thought that was a little high and will keep looking until I need to install it. He said that it would be complete out to the brake drums. He normally charges $400 for them. I had tears in my eyes when I drove away from his shop leaving the two trucks behind. Now I can concentrate on the one truck that I have and hopefully make a little progress.

Gil

Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
63maroontruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the feeling, I got too many projects going on and I too will probably have to do a little pruning. I have gotten rid of things in the past that were beyond what I could handle at the time. At least you know someone else will be using the parts instead of being melted down to make little Jap econoboxes. Makes me sad when I see old tin going to the scrap yard

Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gil,
I am depending on you to get yours on the road. I am outnumbered, here in Texas, by the 53-56 trucks. We need more Bonus builts.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Gil, nice to have you back. I can see why you've been awol for some time.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a problem with getting too many projects at one time. I have lots of plans but little action. If I had room to store them, I would have a fleet of old cars and trucks. Hopefully this will allow me to focus on my one project and get moving on it. I kept all the parts to change over from my flat six to the flat eight once I get the V-8 rebuilt. My plan is to get my '50 on the road with the 6 cyl and drive it while I am rebuilding the V-8. I am working on the brakes at this point which takes a lot of time with new tubing and all but is a must before I put it on the road. The new gears will come after I drive it for a while. Don, hopefully there will be another Bonus built roaming the south Texas roads in the near future.

Gil

Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
In my efforts to cull my project list this year, I ended up getting rid of one, and getting one. Somehow that translates into success here, lol.

I can understand your sadness, but at the same time, sometimes you have to cut a tree to save a forest.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gil ..It's all about "focus"..you have no need to explain ..Here's to a streamlined,clutter-free work enviroment..with lots of gathered spare parts..

Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It's a necessary function of any hobby as specific interests evolve and a collection grows, but it seems to be even more important and tougher to do when your hobby is cars, trucks, or tractors. They're big and expensive and a collection that has grown beyond the owner's financial means, storage space, or available time can cause the whole collection to suffer. My dad and I have been trying to thin things out ourselves for the last couple years. We've sold some cars and parts that we enjoyed owning and were really looking forward to driving someday. But when they've sat in the same place for more than a decade without being touched and getting to them is still nowhere on the radar, it sometimes makes more sense to pass them on to someone who can do them some good and use the proceeds to take the projects that your are working on to the next level. It is hard to let go, though. I've found that I have butterflies in my stomach for a few days after they leave, but after I've come to Jesus with the fact that it's gone, I'm reinvigorated by the reclaimed space and having the weight of another backburnered project off my shoulders. The real trick, however, is resisting that ever present urge to fill that vacated spot in the garage by buying a new one!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
It's a necessary function of any hobby as specific interests evolve and a collection grows, but it seems to be even more important and tougher to do when your hobby is cars, trucks, or tractors. They're big and expensive and a collection that has grown beyond the owner's financial means, storage space, or available time can cause the whole collection to suffer. My dad and I have been trying to thin things out ourselves for the last couple years. We've sold some cars and parts that we enjoyed owning and were really looking forward to driving someday. But when they've sat in the same place for more than a decade without being touched and getting to them is still nowhere on the radar, it sometimes makes more sense to pass them on to someone who can do them some good and use the proceeds to take the projects that your are working on to the next level. It is hard to let go, though. I've found that I have butterflies in my stomach for a few days after they leave, but after I've come to Jesus with the fact that it's gone, I'm reinvigorated by the reclaimed space and having the weight of another backburnered project off my shoulders. The real trick, however, is resisting that ever present urge to fill that vacated spot in the garage by buying a new one!
Well said! I've found as much as I hate it, after it's gone, I do feel like a weight has been lifted.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
My perspective is from the other end of the spectrum, finished vehicles. Sooner or later if everything goes right, you'll have all those project vehicles all shiney and pretty. I've had up to 3 complete, running motorcycles at once, and almost always have had 3+ cars/trucks (until last week, 2 trucks and 3 cars, all roadworthy). I always find I drive one of each type 90% of the time, and the others just sit there. You have to pay insurance and licensing just the same whether you drive them every day or not, keep all of them with fresh oil and a charged up battery. It's expensive and no real benefit. I am down to one bike and working my way towards only having a DD, a fun car, and the truck.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Last time I thinned before buying the next truck. Was nice to have the space for one Winter but I started to get panicky as Spring came and I hadn't found what I was looking for. I probably paid to much for the wrong vehicle to fill the void. I decided even though I wasn't completely happy I would keep it till I found what I really wanted. So that's how I went into this Fall with one more truck than I had storage for and went into panic mode looking for a spot till I could sell the extra. Luckily I found a spot in a two car garage where the owner had moved but was waiting till next Summer to clean out the house and sell. So now the pressure is off for the Winter. I keep thinking I should add on to my building but I know if I did I would have the same problem but with more stuff.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
My perspective is from the other end of the spectrum, finished vehicles. Sooner or later if everything goes right, you'll have all those project vehicles all shiney and pretty. I've had up to 3 complete, running motorcycles at once, and almost always have had 3+ cars/trucks (until last week, 2 trucks and 3 cars, all roadworthy). I always find I drive one of each type 90% of the time, and the others just sit there. You have to pay insurance and licensing just the same whether you drive them every day or not, keep all of them with fresh oil and a charged up battery. It's expensive and no real benefit. I am down to one bike and working my way towards only having a DD, a fun car, and the truck.
Nicely put. With my Panels down, I'm only driving the Airflow. However, I've set a goal to get the 52 on the road by the time Spring comes. Then how will I be able to drive both at the same time to the shows?? This means that I need to teach my wife to drive the Panel. That'll be fun!