Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Convert Rust to Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 10:50 AM
GolferSA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert Rust to Paint?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Oct-02 AT 11:51 AM (EST)]Has anyone heard of or had experience with any of the products that claim to "convert rust to paint?" One of the most prevelent is called "Rust Doctor" and you can buy it at WalMart... thought it might be good on surface rusted frame rails, etc... from their website:

"Rust Doctor is a water based latex product that allows you to paint over rusty metal and then topcoat with any kind of paint without the need to sand or grind to bare metal This unique product chemically converts the rust to magnetite which is a very hard form of iron oxide. Because magnetite is inert (will not react with moisture and oxygen), it creates a protective layer the keeps the metal from rusting. In addition, a latex primer is left on the surface, allowing for topcoating with any kind of paint. In one simple step, the rust is converted to magnetite and the surface is primed."

Appreciate any input...
Thanks!

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
352V8 C6 Auto Factory Air
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
golfersa@netscape.net
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-08-2002, 12:54 AM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Convert Rust to Paint?

Sounds like just the stuff I need. I am about to repaint all the diamond plate on my truck. The bed rails are almost white due to fading and my steps and bumbers have some rust on them I want to paint over. If you try it out let me know how it works.

Old 10-08-2002, 10:52 PM
41Clay
Elder User
Convert Rust to Paint?

Sounds stange, hardends rust? Latex? I would be careful about what it is applied to. Maybe the chassis would be fine, but not the body.

Old 10-09-2002, 07:11 PM
GolferSA
Elder User
Convert Rust to Paint?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Oct-02 AT 08:16 PM (EST)]Clay is right... I wouldn't use this on body panels. From the various articles I have read it makes a hardened, black, coarse surface... sounds great for frame rails, rear-end housings, cross-members and the like, though... and you can paint over it!!

Use any search engine on the phrase "converst rust to paint" and check out some of the articles and photos.

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
352V8 C6 Auto Factory Air
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
golfersa@netscape.net
Check out my gallery!

Old 10-10-2002, 09:14 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Convert Rust to Paint?