Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > The Next Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM
J Hodges J Hodges is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dora Alabama
Posts: 491
J Hodges is starting off with a positive reputation.
what classes are you taking now

I am in community college and I am taking diesel tech. We usually work on more gas burners though. I am really enjoying the class. I will be out in august and hopefully be able to get a decent job
__________________
1971 f-100 swb 390 c6
1972 maverick under construction
1965 Mustang 350 glide, 7.45 at 90mph, 1.64 60ft
2002 z28 daily driver
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
caseihman94's Avatar
caseihman94 caseihman94 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 221
caseihman94 is starting off with a positive reputation.
high school classes.... yippee....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
johnboggs21's Avatar
johnboggs21 johnboggs21 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,494
johnboggs21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
John Boggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseihman94 View Post
high school classes.... yippee....
same............
__________________
2000 F-150 4.2L V6 2wd..........Daily Driver for now.....
1993 F-250HD 7.3L IDI E4OD 370,000 miles. Straight pipe exhaust. IP turned up 1.5 flats with a Diesel Recon pyro. 0-60 in 11 seconds.
Well my rig's a little old,but that don't mean she's slow. There's a flame from her stack, And the smoke's rolling black as coal!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
big_ford_rednek's Avatar
big_ford_rednek big_ford_rednek is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coon Valley, WI
Posts: 225
big_ford_rednek is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey j hodges, is that a 2 yr course your in. im going for diesel tech next year and ours is a 2 yr course.
currently not taking classes. just working 50 hrs a week
__________________
1995 Ford F150 300 6cyl 4x4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=206330&.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Peter94's Avatar
Peter94 Peter94 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St. Peter
Posts: 2,873
Peter94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Peter94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I was just about to go into school, I had alot of questions about what to take and how long to take it.

Now i'm finishing up a bachelors degree in Automotive Engineering Technology (4 years). I'm glad I did too, because around here, a starting job with a 4 year degree is around $40,000 a year. Alot of places wont even consider you without a 4 year degree.

Just something to think about. I remember how much I just wanted to work after high school. Well, as I am going to school, I work part time as a mechanic (ASE certified and everything), and the pay sucks, work environment sucks, you are always getting dirty (which never bothered me, until I realized how gross I looked with my hands permanantly stained in grease), and there is little to no advancement.

Just think about it, working on big diesel trucks might sound like fun now, but 20 years down the road when you are getting old and tired, messing with that stuff probably wont be the dream life you were hoping for.
__________________
2004 F150 FX4 Crew Cab
85 4x4 5.0L F150 Reg Cab-What the heck should I do with this thing?

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:06 PM
big_ford_rednek's Avatar
big_ford_rednek big_ford_rednek is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coon Valley, WI
Posts: 225
big_ford_rednek is starting off with a positive reputation.
and what is it you will do as an automotive engineering tech?
__________________
1995 Ford F150 300 6cyl 4x4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=206330&.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Peter94's Avatar
Peter94 Peter94 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St. Peter
Posts: 2,873
Peter94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Peter94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Right now I'm looking at an internship where I would be working for the Ford Tech Hotline. If a technician gets stumped with a vehicle at a dealership, they would call the hotline, and I would try and walk them through the repair process using my knowledge of engineering, and an extensive repair database.

I know past graduates who have gotten jobs working for say Toro, where they would basically destroy lawn mowers and stuff, and determine the cause of failure. Or another one was (I think for the Cadillac Northstar Engine) they would put it on an engine stand, and run it at 7,000RPM's until it blew up, then tear it down and determine the cause of failure, make a recommendation (like increase the amount of material on the cylinder wall, etc) and then do it again.

Someone I know just got a job with Cummins Power Generation, and they basically determine the cause of common failures. For example say a certain model generator kept breaking crankshafts, this person would analyse the root cause of the problem, and come up with a solution that took care of the issue for new models.

Dont think i'm knocking 2 year degrees or anything. I just know that when I was in your position, I had been through 12 years of high school already, and really did not want do do another 4, heck, I didnt even want to go for another 2.

But I had been working since I was 14, and I looked around and observed what everyone else around me does for a living, and about how much money they make. I thought about where they lived, and the quality of their life. One of the other mechanics at my shop has had his house repossesed 2 times so far (mind you most of it is his own spending habits), but I know that he does not make alot of money, and would never be able to have some of the things I want out of life.

Granted there are some good jobs working as a diesel mechanic, but just make sure you do not cut yourself short.

Just for kicks here is a link to the formula car my school built in 2007. This is a senior design project for the Automotive Engineering Technology Majors.

YouTube - 2007 MSU Mankato - Formula SAE Car Demonstration
__________________
2004 F150 FX4 Crew Cab
85 4x4 5.0L F150 Reg Cab-What the heck should I do with this thing?

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 AM
big_ford_rednek's Avatar
big_ford_rednek big_ford_rednek is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coon Valley, WI
Posts: 225
big_ford_rednek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter94 View Post
Right now I'm looking at an internship where I would be working for the Ford Tech Hotline. If a technician gets stumped with a vehicle at a dealership, they would call the hotline, and I would try and walk them through the repair process using my knowledge of engineering, and an extensive repair database.

I know past graduates who have gotten jobs working for say Toro, where they would basically destroy lawn mowers and stuff, and determine the cause of failure. Or another one was (I think for the Cadillac Northstar Engine) they would put it on an engine stand, and run it at 7,000RPM's until it blew up, then tear it down and determine the cause of failure, make a recommendation (like increase the amount of material on the cylinder wall, etc) and then do it again.

Someone I know just got a job with Cummins Power Generation, and they basically determine the cause of common failures. For example say a certain model generator kept breaking crankshafts, this person would analyse the root cause of the problem, and come up with a solution that took care of the issue for new models.

Dont think i'm knocking 2 year degrees or anything. I just know that when I was in your position, I had been through 12 years of high school already, and really did not want do do another 4, heck, I didnt even want to go for another 2.

But I had been working since I was 14, and I looked around and observed what everyone else around me does for a living, and about how much money they make. I thought about where they lived, and the quality of their life. One of the other mechanics at my shop has had his house repossesed 2 times so far (mind you most of it is his own spending habits), but I know that he does not make alot of money, and would never be able to have some of the things I want out of life.

Granted there are some good jobs working as a diesel mechanic, but just make sure you do not cut yourself short.

Just for kicks here is a link to the formula car my school built in 2007. This is a senior design project for the Automotive Engineering Technology Majors.
well thats sounds very interesting. dont you think it would be better if you wrenched for 5-10 years professionally and then go into that field? Just to gain some real world working expierence before you tell someone what to change on a vehicle or motor or whatever? because just about everyday i cuss someone like you will be out, on how htey designed this, or why they changed that.

for me, where i live, it is mainly agriculture. its how i grew up, and its where ill die. we dont have a big industrial region unless you go 50 miles or so. i love wrenching, i full well understand about the stained hands. mine already are. but when you go on hte money side of it, most diesel mechs round here start at 17-20 an hour. and round here thats pretty decent money.
with it being mainly ag, we have 7-8 implement dealers within 30 miles or so, and 1 cat dealer. jobs are abundant, so to speak, in my field, there will always be someone needing to fix something, but will there always be someone to blow up a cadilac just to see what will break first? the way the economy is, i wouldnt chance it, but thats just me.
__________________
1995 Ford F150 300 6cyl 4x4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=206330&.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
J Hodges J Hodges is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dora Alabama
Posts: 491
J Hodges is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its a one year program for me. I had thought og going into business to become an accountant since I am good with math but decided against it since people with masters can't get jobs in it I figured it would be pointless
__________________
1971 f-100 swb 390 c6
1972 maverick under construction
1965 Mustang 350 glide, 7.45 at 90mph, 1.64 60ft
2002 z28 daily driver
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 PM
texastech_diesel's Avatar
texastech_diesel texastech_diesel is offline
Disgruntled Texan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Justin, TX
Posts: 5,524
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Hodges View Post
I had thought of going into business to become an accountant since I am good with math but decided against it since people with masters can't get jobs
See it's funny that you say that, because I got my Masters degree in accounting, and I just got a job.
__________________
Bryan- 2007 F-250 FX4 6.0L

Nancy, you been going to that healer for twelve years, and you still get headaches every night.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Peter94's Avatar
Peter94 Peter94 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St. Peter
Posts: 2,873
Peter94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Peter94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
See it's funny that you say that, because I got my Masters degree in accounting, and I just got a job.
Yeah, I bet its a dead end job that you will make no money at too (Sarcasm)

What does a masters in accounting start out at anyway? Like $50-60k per year?
__________________
2004 F150 FX4 Crew Cab
85 4x4 5.0L F150 Reg Cab-What the heck should I do with this thing?

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 AM
texastech_diesel's Avatar
texastech_diesel texastech_diesel is offline
Disgruntled Texan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Justin, TX
Posts: 5,524
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Yeah, that's pretty much the range for the southern US.

Accounting isn't as fun as rodeo or driving a forklift, but it does pay the bills easier.
__________________
Bryan- 2007 F-250 FX4 6.0L

Nancy, you been going to that healer for twelve years, and you still get headaches every night.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2009, 07:11 PM
J Hodges J Hodges is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dora Alabama
Posts: 491
J Hodges is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
See it's funny that you say that, because I got my Masters degree in accounting, and I just got a job.
congrats. I was afraid of spending the money for a 4 or 6 year degree and not being able to get a job. Plus I don't like english, science and other classes that would be associated with it.
__________________
1971 f-100 swb 390 c6
1972 maverick under construction
1965 Mustang 350 glide, 7.45 at 90mph, 1.64 60ft
2002 z28 daily driver
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 PM
texastech_diesel's Avatar
texastech_diesel texastech_diesel is offline
Disgruntled Texan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Justin, TX
Posts: 5,524
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Hodges View Post
I was afraid of spending the money for a 4 or 6 year degree and not being able to get a job.
One of the big things I did in school was to make sure I worked real jobs and got some hard skills other than my degree. I drove forklifts for a long time, drove trucks for a little bit, and expanded my high school job building fences into a decent summertime and part time gig. Worst case scenario was I had a couple college degrees and ending up working the same type jobs for a few years.
__________________
Bryan- 2007 F-250 FX4 6.0L

Nancy, you been going to that healer for twelve years, and you still get headaches every night.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM
J Hodges J Hodges is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dora Alabama
Posts: 491
J Hodges is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
One of the big things I did in school was to make sure I worked real jobs and got some hard skills other than my degree. I drove forklifts for a long time, drove trucks for a little bit, and expanded my high school job building fences into a decent summertime and part time gig. Worst case scenario was I had a couple college degrees and ending up working the same type jobs for a few years.
that was a good plan. I am going to school because I can't even get a job at walmart
__________________
1971 f-100 swb 390 c6
1972 maverick under construction
1965 Mustang 350 glide, 7.45 at 90mph, 1.64 60ft
2002 z28 daily driver
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > The Next Generation

Tags
classes, diesel, ford, taking, tech, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice please Garden Spyder Expedition & Navigator 22 07-13-2014 09:38 PM
List of optional ScanGaugeII gauges DawnPatrol 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 24 05-04-2013 09:21 AM
Stock Cam Specs? ReAX Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) 9 12-11-2012 11:56 AM
KZ Stonridge 5th wheels senix Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels 153 11-10-2012 07:57 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup