1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F-6 Questions

Old 11-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Fatboyd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1951 F-6 Questions

Hello all. I am a "newbie" to this site. I have glanced at it several times before, but as of today, I am a proud owner of a 1951 Ford F-6 (I think) Dump Truck. This truck is a running, fully functional, truck. Flat head V-8, 4 speed trans, working PTO and hydraulics (yes the bed does raise and lower), dual rear wheels, and 6 spare wheels and tires. I believe it has a spare transmission, clutch and a bunch of other extra parts in the bed and in the front seat. I would appreciate any feedback from all you guys, on some of this stuff. Basicly I am just going to keep the body, fenders, and running boards. The engine, transmission, radiator, complete chassis, dump body, PTO, hydraulics, all the wheels and tires, steering column, seat, guages, etc. will be going up for sale. I will be be fabricating an all aluminum dump body, and mounting it on a custom chassis, with a 557ci B/B Ford, and making a Pro Street Dump Truck. I am sure there are alot of people looking for these original parts, and I am just trying to get the word out, that I have them, and will be putting them up for sale. I will also be asking advise from time to time about the reconstruction of the cab, fenders, grill, etc. I will go pick the truck up next weekend, so I don't have any pictires right now. Thanks in advance for all the help !!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
rb48f6
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE Fatboyd. Pictures of what you have will help, especially the wheels on the truck and the spares. With pics we can tell you if the wheels are keepers or scrap metal. I'll be in a place without computer access for the next week or so, when Stu, Bobj or some others knowledgable folks check in they can tell you about the wheels. Pictures are key though.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi, welcome to FTE! I'm looking forward to seeing you here during your conversion. Good luck with your parts!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 PM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE Fatboyd..I used to live just down the street from Valrico..

Old 11-09-2009, 02:58 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 258 Likes on 213 Posts
First, welcome to FTE. Glad to have you . Like rb48f6 says, you should be able to find a home for the spare parts. An exception might be the rims. The rims are the old five lug x 8" circle style. There were two basic styles sold back then. One style has the technical name Firestone RH-5°, but today we call them "widow makers". Here's a couple pictures of one to help you see if you have these. You'll notice that the wheel halves connect near the middle of the rim. From the outside rear, concave side, you'll see the raised band like area that's about two inches wide. If your have these they should be recycled. Don't try to sell them. If you need some convining, do a Google search of the Firestone RH-5°.

If, on the other hand, you have rims that use a locking ring to hold the tire in place, they can still be used today and somebody will want them. There were three basic types of those. Some had a split locking ring (Goodyear), others had a solid one piece ring (Firestone), and some had a three piece design where a solid/continuous side ring was held in place by a very small locking ring (also Firestone). Within these three basic groups were dozens of specific designs. All can still be serviced today. If you have the tires unmounted before selling the wheels you'll need to be sure to keep the rings and rims matched as original. Mix matching rim/ring designs can be deadly too. Here's a picture of a locking ring wheel. It's fairly easy to see the separate ring on the face side of the rim. Stu

Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Fatboyd
New User
Replies

Thanks for all the welcomes !!! I will have pictures posted next Sunday afternoon.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Fatboyd
New User
Thumbs up Parts

Well.... I went and picked up my truck yesterday. I have a couple of questions:
1) How do I tell what size/model engine it has? It is a running V-8 flathead, but I would like to find out exactly what it is so I can sell it.
2) How can I tell if the transmission is sycro. or not? It is a 4 speed with a "granny" 1st, but the truck has no brakes so I can't drive it far.
3) I will be posting the pieces in the classified section as I take them off, so keep your eye out for that if you are looking for any 51' parts.
4) Is there a market for the dump body and hydraulics? It all works.
5) How about the rear diff or front suspension?
Truckdog gave me some good advice on the wheels already. I was dark when I got it unloaded last night, but I will get out there and find out what kind of wheels I have. If they are not "widow makers" I will have 10 tires and wheels for sale also. (I need to keep 4 on the chassis to keep it rolling.)
Thanks in advance for your help !!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatboyd
Well.... I went and picked up my truck yesterday. I have a couple of questions:
1) How do I tell what size/model engine it has? It is a running V-8 flathead, but I would like to find out exactly what it is so I can sell it.
2) How can I tell if the transmission is sycro. or not? It is a 4 speed with a "granny" 1st, but the truck has no brakes so I can't drive it far.
3) I will be posting the pieces in the classified section as I take them off, so keep your eye out for that if you are looking for any 51' parts.
4) Is there a market for the dump body and hydraulics? It all works.
5) How about the rear diff or front suspension?
Truckdog gave me some good advice on the wheels already. I was dark when I got it unloaded last night, but I will get out there and find out what kind of wheels I have. If they are not "widow makers" I will have 10 tires and wheels for sale also. (I need to keep 4 on the chassis to keep it rolling.)
Thanks in advance for your help !!

1.Engine, if it has the water returns at the front of heads it is a 49-53 8BA 8RT style flathead 239 . Check this Vanpelts web site for more detailed info. Ford Flathead Specifications

2. the glove box data plate (if it's there ) will be stamped "4 syn" if Synchro otherwise just "4" or also if Reverse gear is over and up it should be synchro, over and down = non synchro, I beleive...

3. I didn't see any adds in classifieds yet, I have a couple questions on parts if you can send me an email at jam0077 at juno.com I would appreciate it. thanks

4. I almost sold the dump bed and hydraulics off my 52 F-6 but am glad I didn't now, I'm sure someone in your area could use them if the price is right?? try your local adds maybe.

5. is rear end a 2 speed rear or ?? agian would be a local things ince they are so darn big and heavy?? I'm curious about the tires though? are they 8.25x 20" in good shape? no cracks or rot etc??? please send me an email. thanks and good luck
Josh

Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Fatboyd
New User
51' Dump

Josh,
Thanks for the information. I sent you an e-mail. I will look at some of these things tonight, and also try to post some pictures of what I have. Thanks !!!