Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Airlift Air Bags, and Rear Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Airlift Air Bags, and Rear Spacers?

Well I'm still pretty new here(here's my first thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...res-power.html ) I already have the Airlift Airbags in the back for towing and wanted to know if anyone has put the airbags in the front? I see that Airlift has a front airbag system that is just like the rear but with the different bracket.

Then joined with these new Lock-N-Lifts Air Lift Company - Products - Lock-N-Lift would this be a pretty good setup?

I've been looking into the 4.5" Icon hanger kit but could this be an option if I were to get the front airbags with the spacers, and then just add the spacers to the ones in the back. I'd assume that it would possibly be a softer ride

And if anyone can please point out the pros' and con's on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting setup. Air bags, with blocks?! For a small lift?!

I'd have to say (without ANY prior knowledge of this option) that it's not a good idea. Let alone seemingly a band-aid to "lift" a vehicle. Maybe, if you have lifted it... and had an issue with lean, the air bag could help 'level' side to side. But I don't know if I'd ever allow an air bag like that, with a bracket "like that" to lift a vehicle (even with my trust in air-bags).

I'd say, if money isn't too much an option... lift it with springs, high enough to easily clear 35s and be done. You can still space out the air-bags or remount the bracket for towing capacity in the rear.

I know they make other options for air-ride and suspension.... kind of funny to see; YouTube - Xtreme Air Ride -- Dodge Ram 4 link

Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
Interesting setup. Air bags, with blocks?! For a small lift?!

I'd have to say (without ANY prior knowledge of this option) that it's not a good idea. Let alone seemingly a band-aid to "lift" a vehicle. Maybe, if you have lifted it... and had an issue with lean, the air bag could help 'level' side to side. But I don't know if I'd ever allow an air bag like that, with a bracket "like that" to lift a vehicle (even with my trust in air-bags).

I'd say, if money isn't too much an option... lift it with springs, high enough to easily clear 35s and be done. You can still space out the air-bags or remount the bracket for towing capacity in the rear.

I know they make other options for air-ride and suspension.... kind of funny to see; YouTube - Xtreme Air Ride -- Dodge Ram 4 link
Ok, but don't people use these kinda spacers if they still have a regular lift kit? Because I would think that the airbags need to be moved up along with the lift because they can only extend so much and a lift weighed down with a trailer could still have a lot of sag even if the bags are full filled with the 100 psi.

I think even if I get the Icon lift i still want to put the front bags on for some extra cushion

Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lovestrucks
Ok, but don't people use these kinda spacers if they still have a regular lift kit? Because I would think that the airbags need to be moved up along with the lift because they can only extend so much and a lift weighed down with a trailer could still have a lot of sag even if the bags are full filled with the 100 psi.

I think even if I get the Icon lift i still want to put the front bags on for some extra cushion
Air bags only cycle so far (top to bottom).
There is a maximum amount of travel they are limited to. They also can't take a hard bottoming, where the bag bottoms before the vehicle's bump stop. The bags you see on vehicles that have a large range of movement... are not the bags you sent a link to, and don't look to have a mount strong enough for sustained lift of the vehicles weight (in my opinion).

So yes, you lift your vehicle higher post air-bags, you'll need to make sure that the airbag is moved as well (just like your shocks often need to be replaced, depending on lift amount). Think of it as what is attached to body, and what is attached to suspension(axles)... the more you separate, the more you'll need to make sure it'll all stretch ...if not, modifications will need to be made.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
Air bags only cycle so far (top to bottom).
There is a maximum amount of travel they are limited to. They also can't take a hard bottoming, where the bag bottoms before the vehicle's bump stop. The bags you see on vehicles that have a large range of movement... are not the bags you sent a link to, and don't look to have a mount strong enough for sustained lift of the vehicles weight (in my opinion).

So yes, you lift your vehicle higher post air-bags, you'll need to make sure that the airbag is moved as well (just like your shocks often need to be replaced, depending on lift amount). Think of it as what is attached to body, and what is attached to suspension(axles)... the more you separate, the more you'll need to make sure it'll all stretch ...if not, modifications will need to be made.
Ok here's my setup, I think if I go with the 5" Icon suspension lift (rear using new leafs) then I'll need a little spacer for the difference in height