Sponsored by:

Need info on headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 AM
00bigpig
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need info on headlight upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my headlights on my 2000 Ex. My headlights seemed to lack a bit in brightness so I installed a set of Sylvania SilverStar Ultra (9007) lamps. I did notice a bit brighter and much whiter light, but I am still left a bit disapointed. Upon further exam of the lens they were a bit cloudy. I cleaned and polished them with plastic cleaner and polish, but was unable to completely restore them. It just seems to me that the newer stlye of "clear" lens seem to be a better method of projection of light than the stock design. I'm not looking to make a fashion statement, only to increase the amount of light down range. Does anyone have a suggestion that would be a direct swap at a reasonable price. I have looked at some on Ebay, but I am not sure if they would be a direct swap without mods. This is my first post, but I have been helped out on several issues because of this great community. Thanks all for your advice.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:42 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
my solution, alltho some will say its not the best. it works great for me and is aimed correctly and does not blind. that said...

i went with black headlights/corners and a dual beam 6000K HID kit. the output is amazing, better then any halogen. it draws less power(35w per light) with the long dark winters these can be life savers with all the moose we have.

i paid $170 shipped for the headlights/corners and $100 for the HID kit(been running the same kit in my dads explorer since 2007 no issues)

the headlights

lights on

Old 11-07-2009, 12:29 PM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID's in the 4300 range will give you the most light output. 6k are blue. I went with 4300's and get very bright light. It was a plug and play replacement. Very easy.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:46 AM
BAJI26
Elder User
6000k Is White with a slight hint of blue... 8000K is more blue.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 AM
nordy racer
Senior User
HID's all the way.. you will love them..

headlights and fogs..

Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 00bigpig
I am looking to upgrade my headlights on my 2000 Ex. My headlights seemed to lack a bit in brightness so I installed a set of Sylvania SilverStar Ultra (9007) lamps. I did notice a bit brighter and much whiter light, but I am still left a bit disapointed. Upon further exam of the lens they were a bit cloudy. I cleaned and polished them with plastic cleaner and polish, but was unable to completely restore them. It just seems to me that the newer stlye of "clear" lens seem to be a better method of projection of light than the stock design. I'm not looking to make a fashion statement, only to increase the amount of light down range. Does anyone have a suggestion that would be a direct swap at a reasonable price. I have looked at some on Ebay, but I am not sure if they would be a direct swap without mods. This is my first post, but I have been helped out on several issues because of this great community. Thanks all for your advice.
Couple things... I'd like to offer from my experiences over the years;

Buy the upgraded headlights. 2005 and newer I think.
... you speak of them as they have a 'clear' non fluted lens covering. Don't settle on non-OEM equipment, as from what I've witnessed... they aren't up to standards like OEM. Often, guys are selling them on Ebay for a fair price.

And if your to upgrade to HID, there's TONS of junk out there... and only a few good and reputable shops that will sell you quality equipment. Don't waist your time perusing Ebay, or the internet for sellers who won't show you a close up of the "actual" equipment your buying. Too many shops don't know what they are selling, and will often sell you what they stock. I've probably had 20+ pairs of bulbs for my Xs, mostly in HID that were incorrect before I found what I have now.

Try and stay away from anything other than 4300K HID. Too white, you'll just get a headache from eye strain. Too blue, your actual output is quite a bit less... and unless your wanting to impress the kids, are just a another waist of money (in my opinion).

For the super trick option, make sure to get dual-HID lamps. So they ship with 4 ballasts. Then, if you opted for the complete wire harness (recommended) which is easy to install, you can also utilize the "diode trick" which allows your low beams to stay on when you run high beams. Obviously, very bright as you'd be running 4 HIDs all at once! (use it with caution, it's blinding )

... I've been doing this for years, and love it. Never get high-beamed (have my lights adjusted properly) and light up the dark desert nights when no moon is out, or when in Baja Mexico where horses seem to roam the highways on occasion.

PM me for more info if you'd like.

And a long read, but opinions and photos here; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...eadlights.html

Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 AM
RED DOG NUMBER 1
New User
2007 headlight upgrade WITH dual HID 4300K upgrade

Hello, I'm new to THIS forum but not new to forums. I've resurected this old thread rather than starting a new one.

I have a "new to me" creampuff 2002 Excursion. I ordered the 2007 grille upgrade and I want to upgrade the headlights to the 2007 style but I ALSO also want to install a dual beam bi-xenon HID system (4300K). I have read through every forum topic on the headlight upgrade AND on the HID upgrade. I am left with some questions . . .

1) I see the aftermarket 2007 style headlights like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380470997930?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360866588944?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
BUT

Is there any advantage to using genuine FORD headlights like these?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261520250312?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Also when doing this headlight upgrade I'm not excited about hacking up the fiberglass header panel behind the headlight so I'm wondering if I can buy / install the newer style header panel on my '02 Excursion to make a more "factory" assembly for the upgraded headlights? I saw someone mentioned it in passing but found no real details on that . . .

2) When doing the dual HID 4300K upgrade, I found many posts saying that the headlight reflector backings are not really right for HIDs. Also I want to purchase a ceramic wiring harness adapter like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HB5-9007-To-...NT77py&vxp=mtr

What are the experts here recommending on my upgrade plans?

Any links to recommended parts (both for the 2007 style headlight upgrade AND for the dual beam bi-xenon HID system upgrade would be appreciated.

THANKS, Bob Davis (Red Dog)

Old 02-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
I just did an 05-07 headlight upgrade on my truck. Used some 4300k HID bulbs and the light output is amazing. Does not blind, just make sure you aim them properly, which was surprisingly easy to do with a 4mm nut driver in my case.

I would say that is the best bang for your buck upgrade.

I got headlights off of FleaBay for $99 and some plug and play 9007>H13 connectors for $7. Cut no wires, which was a nice bonus. Had the ballasts and bulbs laying around. The dual beam H13 bulbs I have are simply HID bulbs with a filament bulb attached on to them for high beams. They are really only useful for flashing which is perfect for me.

Hacking the header panel is super easy, even with a dremel in my case. I really wouldn't stress it, I had my reservations about doing it and it was MUCH easier than I thought. You can always get the 05-07 header panel to avoid any cutting/trimming for like $50 or so on eBay but I chose not to go this route.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
In order to actually make a headlight modification an actual "upgrade" you would need to use a higher quality reflector , Putting a hid bulb in the wrong assembly isn't a upgrade it is a hack, also happens to be illegal.

If you want HID lights, then buy a complete HID lamp assembly
If you want want more light then stock add more lights.
The best light output and beam pattern will come from a lamp with the best reflector, held in the proper location and focused throug a carefully designed lens.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
This is REALLY worth reading before spending your money in the wrong place...
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Pirate, you're right again!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 PM
RED DOG NUMBER 1
New User
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
This is REALLY worth reading before spending your money in the wrong place...
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Pirate, you're right again!
Thanks to all who responded so far . . . I read this article and learned a lot about the HID retrofit kits.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:48 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Well, I've been hacking it since 2004 and happy with the results so, how does that old saying go? Opinions are like...

Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Not sure what details you are wanting on the header panel other then it is a easy and direct bolt in process. Rockauto sells a panel for about $75

Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
them hids are terrible to other people on the road.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by Skip1970
them hids are terrible to other people on the road.
Depends so much on the housing, quality of the bulbs and if they have been aimed. I've spent hours aiming mine, including driving at my own truck on my dead end road to see what oncoming traffic sees. The having someone else drive it behind me and oncoming. My trucks don't blind me and i have not been flashed, I'm sticking with what works for me. I do NOT like projectors as the cutoff makes for interesting driving in hilly conditions, above the cutoff it's BLACK.

Mine have a decent cutoff and not a ton of scatter.

Before the retrofit purists chime in again that you HAVE to have projectors, you don't. Lincoln, Cadillac, Volvo, Mercedes all used reflector housings for their factory HIDs over the years, but yes they were designed for them.

Quick Reply: Need info on headlight upgrade