Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Senior User

6litrefan is starting off with a positive reputation.
quick ? on coolant flush procedure in 6.0 bible...:)

Here is the link for one of the coolant flush procedures in the 6.0 bible....my question is on step #5 it says "Drive truck until temp guage goes to normal and thermostat opens."...ok so you of course start procedure with a cold truck i assume...so once you do the first drive after adding distilled water..and you get her up to operating temp and pull it in the drive and drain and refill.....can you immediately do another drive or do I have to let the truck cool back down..."which would take hours...lol"...What i am saying is that once my truck reaches operating temps and i shut it down...it is at or close to temp for a long while after shut down...so pretty much need to know if i can do these drives with distilled water back to back or do i need to wait for cool down in between.....I would think not but thought I would ask to make sure...thanks for any input guys!

Ryan
more to come!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I did not want to put cold water in a hot engine. I waited.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior User

That is a good point Bismic...yeah i guess that would be a good way to crack a block...how long did you wait in between..i mean is this something that can take days too complete?
more to come!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I just chose to do mine on a day when there was a lot of football on. Just took my time. I guess I waited an hour for it to cool. 69cj just did his and he removed the thermostat. His way is better since he did not have to get the engine hot, but mine worked fine for me. Also, his way is what is described in the Workshop Manual.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Pull the t-stat and you can do a flush in 5 min. and the engine never gets hot enough for the next batch of fresh water to hurt it. 5 flushes takes a long time with the t-stat out and a lot longer with it in. For the drain I, 1st open petcock, 2. pull lower hose and 3. pull block plug on drivers side. Reverse procedure for next flush. Do 5 times with distilled water and the last flush will look like you can drink it.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior User

BobbyB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Why distilled water?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB View Post
Why distilled water?
No minerals or other crap in it to contaminate cooling system. Also a good time to install coolant filter if you don't already have one.
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Posting Guru

Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.
I also waited an hour between drain/fill cycles. Aside from what's already been mentioned, this allowed the fluid to cool so that there was no risk of getting scalded when I drained the fluid.
2006 F250 Lariat FX4, CC, SB, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, 3.73 LS, Backseat DVD system, Extreme Bedliner, Westin Bully Bar, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Fumoto Valve, Accufab Intake Elbow, Bilstein HD Shocks, Smitty-Bilt Grille Inserts, MBRP Turbo Back Cool Duals (Kitty ran away), ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit w/Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 295/70-R18, Retrax Cover
Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe View Post
I also waited an hour between drain/fill cycles. Aside from what's already been mentioned, this allowed the fluid to cool so that there was no risk of getting scalded when I drained the fluid.
Pull the t-stat, run for 5 min. and you don't have this problem.
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Senior User

69cj...where is the t-stat and how do you remove it???.......
more to come!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Post Fiend

Engine side of upper radiator hose. Four nuts. Remove two nuts then pressure switch bracket. Then two more nuts and the assembly comes off. Depress and rotate t-stat to remove from housing and then reinstall housing with old O ring. When all work is complete reinstall t-stat and housing with a new O ring. 5 bucks at dealer.
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Elder User

03-6L-X has a good reputation on FTE.03-6L-X has a good reputation on FTE.
I think this was written by Beachbumcook:
Based on what has been stated above you can either leave Tstat in or out.

6.0L Coolant Flush Procedure

Here is what you do.... (I do it every 50,000 miles just because it is fun to do and I am **** about my maintenance).

1) Buy 4 gallons of Ford Premium Gold coolant at dealer

2) Buy 15 gallons of distilled water at local grocery store.

3) Drop lower radiator hose until empty.

4) Reconnect hose and add distilled water to degas bottle until full.

5) Drive truck until temp gauge goes to normal and thermostat opens.

6) Repeat steps #3 through #5 no less than 4 or 5 times (depends on distilled water amount used) - I can't remember?

7) You now have 100% distilled water in your system.

8) Drop lower hose 1 last time, drain and reconnect.

9) Look in manual for your system capacity and for a 50/50% refill of coolant just add the coolant straight into your degas bottle up to the amount that equals a 50/50% concentration.

10) Start motor and add distilled water to bring system level to the MIN mark on degas bottle.

11) Drive truck around to open thermostat and let cool 1 or twice to purge any air. May need to add more distilled water (don't add coolant)... but when done you have flushed your entire system and have a perfect 50/50% concentration of coolant and distilled water!!!!

03 EB Ex 4X4 6.0L PSD BD 21 May 2003 Tapped Torque Converter/HFCM Drain Plug/DieselSite Coolant Filter/Blue Spring Upgrade/Bilstein Shocks/Firestone Ride-Rite/Rancho Steerling Stabilizer/Blue RiffRaff Turbo Boots/04 Signal TT Mirrors/Prodigy Brake Controller/Insight CTS
03 4X4 6.0L PSD Tapped Torque Converter/HFCM Drain Plug/Firestone Ride-Rite/Insight CTS
66 F250 352 w/Carter 4bbl/Hooker Headers/C-6/2WD
Old 11-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Post Fiend

Pulling the T-stat speeds up the process a BUNCH! .... and I would not use the VC-9 without pulling the thermostat.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior User

Hey 69cj....so what you are saying is that with the stat removed, I would not have to actually go out and drive the truck i can just let it idle and circulate in the driveway for 5 minutes???...and then drain and fill again immediately...?
more to come!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
That's what he said......

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2005, 60, bible, cleaner, coolant, cooling, diesel, drain, f250, filter, flush, ford, iron, powerstroke, recommendations