6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Check This Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 AM
mcdowellkm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check This Out

So...about 2 weeks ago i was posting on here about some of the cold start issues with my 03 6.0. It was missing/running rough till warmed up...long story short went to Crossroads Ford(supposed to be best with the PSD around springfield IL area)..they call me up tell me that that the vehicle needed 3 new fuel injectors and an IPR sensor--$1500. I approve work...they call back, now needs an additional injector and an HPOP oi rail--$2400. I own a transmission repair shop and i know how sometimes things can be found midway into a repair so i approve, however i ask the service writer if we should just replace all eight because we're half way there. He insists that the only reason the 4 are bad in because the have been starved for oil due the the oil rail being bad. I approve work. They then call me back to tell me that i now need the other 4 injectors. now the bill is $4400. I try to fight this and lose. call dealership owner and he screams at me on the phone. write formal letter to all local news about situation and everybody basically laughs at me. i approve the $4400 repair. they call me back and tell me it needs a HPOP. Now the bill is $5200. i am to the point i just have to have my truck back so i approve. Have to have this vehicle to haul my snow removal equipment with. they call me last night and say the thing is all done and running great. i go to the dealer...pay them...pick up my truck...i dont make it out of their lot before it dies 3 times and wont start back up. now they are telling me they dont know whats wrong with it. took it in for a missfire runs rough at idle when started cold and $5200 later i have a truck that only runs for about 15 sec then dies with no explanation as to why. tell me what you guys think. sorry this is so long

Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
mcdowellkm
New User
update

if anyone wants to see a full updated copy of this letter then i would be happy to e-mail it to you. It is everything that has happened thus far down to a T. the only thing thats not in there yet is last night non-sense.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man that is horible. I would call ford direct on this one. Sounds like a case of bad diag. There's no way that all those injectors were bad and the truck still ran. And I would not pay anouther dime. I didn't have the problem when you took it in so they need to fix it right.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM
mcdowellkm
New User
thats right

Yeah i did not have that problem when it went in there at all...i did call ford corporate but they told me that since my truck was not purchased new by me and since it was outside factory warranty that they had no control over the dealerships service dept on my perticular vehicle. The truck would run perfectly fine once it was warmed up to full operating temperature. it had no problems and pulled like a mule when it was warmed up just was a little rough at idle when warming up.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I would inform them that you will not buy another ford product and that you will be telling everyone you know about how bad there service is. Including posting on fourms such as this one.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
mcdowellkm
New User
SUX

Yeah i believe unfortunatly that it's in the works...really tweaks me cuz this is the 3rd PSD i've owned...first one was bought new and drove to 378,000miles (96 f-350 4x4 crew/long single rear wheels) second one drove to 291,000 from 48,000 (99 f-350 4x4 crew/long single rear wheels) and now this one is giving me these problems at 150,000 (03 f-350 4x4 crew/long Single rear wheels) i bought it @ 78,000 and all the trucks came from this dealership from the same salesman. I knew about problems with the 6.0 when i got in bed with this truck but the salesman assured me..."oh man you know other than the EGR problems the rest are all maint dependant". So like my previous 7.3's i change my oil every 5,000 and my fuel filters also get changed every 5,000 plus i do whatever is on the factory service guidlines with no question. you know between myself and my wife and our imediate families we all together own 16 fords all mostly new as well. the really bad thing is all of our cars and trucks have come from the same dealership. Not that losing our buisness is really going to hurt them that bad but i guarantee that when another vehicle gets purchased it will not be from crossroads ford in springfield illinois

Old 12-10-2009, 01:06 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mcdowellkm
you know between myself and my wife and our imediate families we all together own 16 fords all mostly new as well. the really bad thing is all of our cars and trucks have come from the same dealership. Not that losing our buisness is really going to hurt them that bad but i guarantee that when another vehicle gets purchased it will not be from crossroads ford in springfield illinois
Are you kidding? At some point those cars & trucks are going to need to be replaced. 16 cars is a small fleet, and if that dealership is willing to loose that kind of business...you need to find a new dealership. As far as the problems with your truck; part of the problem the 6.0L has is guys that don't know what they're doing working on them. Yes, it's a complicated engine but that's what you get when your pushing as much power as they are out of those small engines (they aren't that much bigger than a 351C). I think it's something completely different than what they've said...chaffed wires have been common on the 6.0L and are a bear to find sometimes. But without knowing if/what the fault codes are/were, I'm of absolutely no use. Personally speaking, I'd raise 9 kinds of hell until the truck was fixed RIGHT and I wouldn't pay for another HPOP, injector or any sensor until they could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that was the problem. And I'd for dam sure not take it back to them after that. If they keep giving you a run around...I'd go in with a roll-back and take the truck to another shop; and get in touch with the BBB concerning the first shop. There are competent PSD mechanics out there right now who are starving...I'd find one of them.

I've only been through Springfield (IL) once and it was in the middle of the night on I-55; but it struck me as a city large enough to have more than one Ford dealership. It maybe time to change dealerships no matter what. Any dealership that's screwing one customer and the customer knows it...is screwing several more customers and they don't know it. They don't usually last long.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like their probably going to get you for a FICM next which might have been the problem all along. You need to find another dealer.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
scameron
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
Sounds like their probably going to get you for a FICM next which might have been the problem all along. You need to find another dealer.
first thing i thought when i read his symptoms. his truck was acting like mine before i re-soldered my FICM.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
mcdowellkm
New User
Yeah i really dont know where to go from this point...i've talked to everyone that i know to talk to including attorney's who only tell me that "yes it's alot of money but if we get involved the chances of it actually costing you more money is even higher" they are advising me to just pay the bill get the truck back and cut all ties with this dealer. it just makes me sick to my stomach guys and they are denying any and all claims of mis-diag. Funny that i have an ASE master technician certificate...i know better then to touch my own diesel...so i try to take it to someone who is supposed to know what their doing so that i can eliminate long down time and to get the thing fixed right the first time...now we will be on 3 weeks soon....over 5000 has been paid...and now we have a whole new mess of problems that were not there before i took it to them. I woulda been better off taking it to MIDAS...no offence to any employee of MIDAS but MIDAS sux as a whole anyway

Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 AM
wlhm
Freshman User
Ouch

Not sure if this helps. When I get service done at a stealership I pay with my VISA CC, not my debit VISA either. Your situation happened to my wife's VW POS a few years ago. Dealship didn't fix the problem. I called VISA and told them I was frauded and they credited me the amount. The dealership and VISA fought it out and dealership ate it. When the next bill comes for the VISA, if the work was done right I pay the balance. Get miles for trips too! Good Luck. Make sure you let the owner of the lot know directly too and that you need to replace many other cars soon, perhaps he can split it with you.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Originally Posted by wlhm
Not sure if this helps. When I get service done at a stealership I pay with my VISA CC, not my debit VISA either. Your situation happened to my wife's VW POS a few years ago. Dealship didn't fix the problem. I called VISA and told them I was frauded and they credited me the amount. The dealership and VISA fought it out and dealership ate it. When the next bill comes for the VISA, if the work was done right I pay the balance. Get miles for trips too! Good Luck. Make sure you let the owner of the lot know directly too and that you need to replace many other cars soon, perhaps he can split it with you.
This sure is good advice - for all of us!! Similar thing happened to me w/ a Discover card. Discover was great!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 AM
ingman
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Good luck mcdowellkm, it can be very trying can't it.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM
03superdoody
Freshman User
Yeah that sux man, 2 of the 3 ford dealers down here in El Paso, TX do not have a clue. These guys still look at me funny when i say '03 6.0. And the service guys just want to sell, sell, sell, when a simple service can turn into an $800 visit. Screw that!!! deep breaths 10,9,8,7 ..... Those guys are a bunch of freaking theives, makes it hard for the honest mechanics who do know there stuff.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard so many stories like this with misdiagnoses and improper part installment from Ford dealerships, and I even have one of my own. I am wondering since the powerstroke is and International engine I'm just curious if anyone has had an International dealer or service center work on their truck. And if so how was the service and pricing. I know when I have bought fuel filters from them their price was half that of the Ford dealership. It might be a better/cheaper option.