General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Stimulus Projects?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stimulus Projects?

Does anyone here have any experience working on stimulus money projects? I have "a friend" who is now working exclusively on a stimulus project and the conditions and rules seem a little crazy.

Anyone else seen this at all?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump.

Sorry, Nitra....No input.....But I'll put it at the head of the line....(haha)

Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does CARS qualify? the rules for that were funky

Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> any experience working on stimulus money projects?

How about watching them?

Atlanta repaved a street that was just repaved to the tune of $80,000 because the stimulus money paid for it. Go to Atlanta News, Sports, Atlanta Weather, Business News| ajc.com to read about that one.

Six GA Dekalb county road crew members (with shovels) standing around and watching while one person filled the backside of a concrete form (Mountain Ind. Blvd).

In Clarkston GA I saw a crew redo a big sidewalk twice (Church Street) because they did not do it correctly the first time, I guess the Mexicans did not read the blueprints correctly the 1st time and poured concrete in the wrong place.

I think this is the reason they decided to take down the signs saying the work was paid for by the Stimulus bill

Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
There is one going on here that involves repaving a stretch of a state highway and there is a sign up that says so....more or less.
Don't know of any "conditions" with this project other than it seems it's taking three times longer to do the job than when just "regular" funding was involved.

I do know that one can't buy the milled up asphalt anymore from the state. It is sent back to the plant and "reworked"?...to be reused again on the highway. Maybe "recycled" is a better word.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be vague about what I was talking about.

Here is the deal - the stimulus projects come with loads of strings attached. At least the one my friend is on did. Some of the conditions include not being able to work on more than one project in a work day. So, if the work for that shift is done, he can't work on anything else that day. In other words, it is all or nothing.

Also, anything used on the project has to be for that project only. All the tools have to be purchased separately and can't be used on anything else. Even consumable items like cheap measuring tools and marking paint. It is maddening from what I hear.

And the best part is the consultant overseeing the work. Of course they are getting a sizable fee right off the top for doing next to nothing.

Your tax dollars hard at work...

Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Nitramjr
Here is the deal - the stimulus projects come with loads of strings attached. At least the one my friend is on did. Some of the conditions include not being able to work on more than one project in a work day. So, if the work for that shift is done, he can't work on anything else that day. In other words, it is all or nothing.
Then you have to hire more employees, and the President can go on TV and say the stimulus is creating jobs.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:17 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
There's Someone around here that went around and painted all of the "This Project Funded By American Recovery Stimulus Funds"

They now read "Paid For by American Tax Payers"

Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
There's Someone around here that went around and painted all of the "This Project Funded By American Recovery Stimulus Funds"

They now read "Paid For by American Tax Payers"
They must not have realized that is who pays for the work anyways, regardless if it is being done with stimulus money or just regular old pre-recession funding.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
JoeCool6972
Junior User
Well, being one of the many without a job right now, I can say I have received NOTHING from this stimulus package, just more tax debt. This damn bailout crap is just pissing the people off, that's it. I actually told one credit card company to call and ask Obama and Bush for their payments, because I DON'T HAVE IT! a**holes at Citigroup got billions in the bailout, and won't let me postpone my payments, reduced them, reduce my 22% interest rate, or anything. F--K 'EM!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:21 AM
websthes
Postmaster
with nearly 25 million Americans unemployed, or no longer looking for work, or in low-wage part-time jobs, 8.5 million U.S. jobs are believed to be held by illegal aliens who broke into the country or overstayed their visas.

Why is this not a matter of national outrage?

Patrick J. Buchanan

Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
They must not have realized that is who pays for the work anyways, regardless if it is being done with stimulus money or just regular old pre-recession funding.
Yeah but the Obama heads seem to think that He took this money out of His own pocket, or something??????

Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
I'm seeing here a complete waste of road project funds from the stimulus. Roads that were just done being ground down and redone while roads with potholes up the as are left. Bridges that were just repaired are being tore up again while bridges that are in bad shape being left. Excuse being they didn't have the plans for those ready to go but could use the plans on the completed projects to declare them shovel ready. Bunch of BS to waste my tax dollars like that.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 PM
70blue
Postmaster
They cut funding in my area to pay for it. Now even though my house lost value my property taxes more than quadrupled. Raising my taxes is about the only project I know of.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
with nearly 25 million Americans unemployed, or no longer looking for work, or in low-wage part-time jobs, 8.5 million U.S. jobs are believed to be held by illegal aliens who broke into the country or overstayed their visas.

Why is this not a matter of national outrage?
( posted by Websthes ^^^^ nice post)
Darn if that isn`t so true. In the trades here in Cal I am a minority. South of the border bros have taken all the jobs cause they work cheaper. You do not see them putting money back into the community either because they send it back home to mexico

Last edited by hanklin; 11-08-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: forgot to add kudos

Quick Reply: Stimulus Projects?