6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM testing procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM
cabinman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autoenginuity

Hey all.. First MERRY CHRISTMAS -- second, as I mentioned in a previous post AUTOENGINUITY is going to do a huge update on JAN 15, and yes it's included for free if you buy now, have bought recently. It will add a crazy amount of bi directional engine control options for testing and other stuff. As if there wasn't already enough in the package to make it worthwhile, and yes I am obviously a "pusher" of this program but I don't sell it and nothing to do with them ( although I'd like to ) It's just a very good system for the money that people like us can actually afford..

CHEERS !

Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM
leo_92040
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

I will try it

Old 12-24-2009, 02:56 PM
cabinman
Senior User
If not the AE, for similar dollars what would you suggest ?

Originally Posted by cheezit
The AE not my choice of tools but I have access to better. Im in moway knocking it.

A spare ficm can run from $300. used to $900 new.

If not the AE, for similar dollars what would you suggest? I searched and searched but couldn't find anything that would work as well for the money but if you know of some other better options, I think it would be worth posting because I had to start from scratch googling what to use.. With the upcoming bi directional controls etc, is there something you know of that's better for the money or even close? Would love to know so I can pass it on to my 6.0 driving buddies.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
for the money everyone seems to like the ae.
For 9995.00 I can tell you what to go buy... Thats the dollar amout for the scan equip we use.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 PM
gmhorse
Senior User
loose connection

Was out changing oil, and shining up battery connection cables this evening as I wait for my scanner to come in. I noticed a loose connector up around the degas bottle where I had been working to remove the ficm. I could not locate where it hooked to, so I called 2 friends with a 6.0. One is an 05 same as mine, and one is an 07. Both of them had a different looking connector than I did in that area. I am assuming it is an air flow sensor but they had a square looking box that a six way plug plugged into. I have a round looking sensor with only 2 wires, with the 6 way plug just hanging loose. Here is a picture of it to give you a better idea. Was this something they changed? Has mine been altered or bypassed? Seems kinda weird they both have it, and I don't.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:14 PM
gmhorse
Senior User
doh

Not sure how to post pictures. Here is the link to the pic

Old 12-24-2009, 04:22 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gmhorse
Not sure how to post pictures. Here is the link to the pic
Nature - Gmhorse's Photos- powered by SmugMug

Do you happen to have an aftermarket intake?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:55 PM
teddysmith1952
Junior User
Ok. I just ran out and checked my 2004 6.0. Right where you have a 2 wire plug in affair on the air intake directly below the coolant hose, I have that exact 6 wire receptacle plugged into a 6 plug receptacle. My 6 plug receptical is mounted exactly where your 2 wire is located. Why you have a 2 wire receptacle plugged in with a 6 plug receptacle hanging loose I have no clue.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:47 PM
gmhorse
Senior User
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke
Do you happen to have an aftermarket intake?
I have never had an aftermarket intake. I bought the truck with 13,000 miles on it, so maybe someone else did. The truck has been opened up to replace one egr cooler, and a rear main seal. Could someone have rigged that up then? Its almost like they made their own sensor. Sure would like to know what other four wires are for since the one they replaced it with only has 2 wires. The sensor pulls out easily by hand, but does seem to fit nice and snug. Hmmmm..... I really want to know what this is now.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:58 PM
cabinman
Senior User
yeah, well that's a wrap then.. no contest

for the money everyone seems to like the ae.
For 9995.00 I can tell you what to go buy... Thats the dollar amout for the scan equip we use.

at least no contest in terms of affordability for the average joe eh !

Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Was out changing oil, and shining up battery connection cables this evening as I wait for my scanner to come in. I noticed a loose connector up around the degas bottle where I had been working to remove the ficm. I could not locate where it hooked to, so I called 2 friends with a 6.0. One is an 05 same as mine, and one is an 07. Both of them had a different looking connector than I did in that area. I am assuming it is an air flow sensor but they had a square looking box that a six way plug plugged into. I have a round looking sensor with only 2 wires, with the 6 way plug just hanging loose. Here is a picture of it to give you a better idea. Was this something they changed? Has mine been altered or bypassed? Seems kinda weird they both have it, and I don't.
Check the FICM repair procedure and see if that's not one of your FICM harness plugs. I recognize it from the cluster on top of the drivers side fender liner, but it's been a few months and the truck is about 200 miles from here. I sure thought it had a mate to go with it. Maybe it has something to do with the FICM relay IIRC???? I'm away from all my repair procedures or I'd go look.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by teddysmith1952
Ok. I just ran out and checked my 2004 6.0. Right where you have a 2 wire plug in affair on the air intake directly below the coolant hose, I have that exact 6 wire receptacle plugged into a 6 plug receptacle. My 6 plug receptical is mounted exactly where your 2 wire is located. Why you have a 2 wire receptacle plugged in with a 6 plug receptacle hanging loose I have no clue.

Hope that helps.
the large connector is for a maf sensor. that is not used on all modle years and all apps. the iat1 sensor is needed by all the trucks though so the maf also has the iat1 so it becomes redundent to use both a maf and and iat at that point.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by cabinman
at least no contest in terms of affordability for the average joe eh !

YA. I f you havent figured it out Im a Ford tech so I have a lot of neet stuff to use so far as tools and scan equip.

heres a vmm
Ford Rotunda IDS VMM Vehicle Measurement Module :eBay Motors (item 180446690212 end time Dec-27-09 17:10:07 PST)

heres a vcm
NEW FORD FACTORY IDS VCM KIT WITH CABLES. :eBay Motors (item 330388067477 end time Jan-16-10 19:05:46 PST)

now all you would need is a laptop.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:56 PM
gmhorse
Senior User
the large connector is for a maf sensor. that is not used on all modle years and all apps. the iat1 sensor is needed by all the trucks though so the maf also has the iat1 so it becomes redundent to use both a maf and and iat at that point.
So some of these trucks did not come with the full maf sensor, and only the iat1 sensor was installed which is one piece of the maf sensor? So the loose connection is not needed in my build? Weird to just have a connection hanging there like that. What would happen if i replaced the round iat1 with a maf and plugged in the 6 way connector? Would there be any difference?

Old 12-25-2009, 06:21 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

So some of these trucks did not come with the full maf sensor, and only the iat1 sensor was installed which is one piece of the maf sensor? So the loose connection is not needed in my build? Weird to just have a connection hanging there like that. What would happen if i replaced the round iat1 with a maf and plugged in the 6 way connector? Would there be any difference?
You may devlope a check enmgine light and some tyoe of drivability issue. the pcm calibration is setup to run that way.
the oppise is true as well there are some trucks with the 2 wire caped off. and only a maf sensor (wich still has the iat2 built in)
I dont know why the desiugner did it either.

Quick Reply: FICM testing procedure