1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Marmon Herrington Ford F1

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Yeah, like Ilya says, there's no way to know how many were done. The ones I posted the above pics of are all I've ever seen. I'd agree with Ilya on approx value, but would suggest you not kick yourself 2 months from now for passing it up. The initial purchase price is always a small part of the end total.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 AM
rb48f6
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, thanks, if only they weren't spread all over the floor around the 'puter. Stu
I'm guessing there are several of us on here using this filing system Stu. Should I add on or make improvements to the office, or should I add on or make improvements to the garage.... I'll go with the garage. The wife however.....

Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM
CAOldFordTrucks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well fellas, she's in tough shape and the seller is a tough nut too. Seems he wants to get what he paid for her 10 years ago and it's quite a bit more than I'm willing to pay. I'm going to keep working on him but I thought you might enjoy the pics in the meantime. Very cool truck.

Picasa Web Albums - Lucas - 1951 Ford 1 T...

Lucas

Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 PM
rb48f6
Senior User
Thanks for the update and posting the pics Lucas. It is a good looking truck and deserves to be saved. It doesn't look too bad to me, but us Rust Belter's have a whole different expectation on old vehicles. Too bad he's dug in on ya' on $$. Interesting that it's a 3 door conversion. Guess it falls in line with the period though. Dare I say Suburbans came with 3 doors up until the early 70's?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Thanks for the update and pics. I agree, keep working on him. From the looks of the engine and rear end it's already had somebody playing with it. Aside from the minor rust that they all get it doesn't look too bad to me. I've hauled home a couple from Arizona that had that much rust or more. Stu

Old 11-22-2009, 11:34 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a late production '51. Also, in decent shape. Has anyone done research on "Grant" to see if they're still around or were absorbed by a bigger company? Maybe there are some records still around. The truck's serial number is in the 1400s. Would be interesting to know how many of these were actually made.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
rb48f6
Senior User
The only thing I came up with that's pretty close is:

Grant Manufacturing & Truck Equipment Company
4009 W. 49th St., Tulsa, Ok 74107-7305
Phone: (918)446-4009

I'm guessing over the past 50+ years they could have had a name change from Grant Body & Equipment Co., Tulsa OK. I've not found a web page for them yet that might have their history.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
CAOldFordTrucks
New User
Okay, I'm buying it!

Fellas, I just couldn't get this beautiful truck off my mind and I've decided to pay the seller's asking price. I hope to pick it up next week (if I can get it out of his backyard).

Any chance that motor is the original? If I want to restore it to original, where can I get parts?

Pic of the motor: Picasa Web Albums - Lucas

I'm excited about this project and will be needing some guidance!

Cheers,

Lucas

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
overall I'd say it's in great shape! throw on some tires make sure she's road worthy and run it!.. I would think originally it would have a flathead. I don;t know what you paid but I'm sure most of us would agree you got a good deal!

Man, am I green with envy, wanna trade?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by CAOldFordTrucks

Any chance that motor is the original?
Uh...not even close. That is much later "FE" big block. The truck would have had a flathead v-8 originally.
Congrats on your decision! Enjoy!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 PM
CAOldFordTrucks
New User
Thanks guys

Well, we're doing the deal at $7000. My plan is to throw some tires on in, get the engine running (seller says that he can get it started prior to pickup...?) and see if she'll go. At that point, I'm going to have it all disassembled and taken to the sandblasters. I'll have the frame powdercoated and the body primed. I'm sure there will be some welding involved for the shock mounts and some panel replacements, but not much. From there, it'll go to paint and then the interior will be put back together. I'm hoping to keep this as original as possible, but seeing that it's already been modded, I might have to add some modern touches for the sake of driveability. Of course, I'm flexible. I'd like to add this to my collection so I want it to be worth every penny that I put into it. Your thoughts are most welcome!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Add a ford TOD overdrive transmission and drive the poop outta it. It will bolt right up. get a different radio.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
CAOldFordTrucks
New User
Those are great ideas. Where's the best places to get parts, original and upgraded?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Carolina Classics, Obsolete Ford Truck Parts, truck part, ford truck part, truck body parts, classic truck part, pickup truck part, old truck part, classic ford truck part, antique truck part, old ford truck part, auto truck part, ford truck restorat

48-52 F1 Pickup Truck Parts | - F100 Central

I use these folks ask for a catalog:
Classic Haulers F-1 Parts - Home

There's lots of info out there just ask or start posting up. Don't forget there's classifieds here. First, start a new thread and post up pics. Get a game plan and try to stick to it. Daily driver or restored show truck or something in-between. Make it safe and enjoy it. I'm not sure if you've done a restoration before but, please think it through first. It will take the truck out for a long time. I hate to see you loose interest or get too deep in bills to finish.... It happens all the time. I strongly suggest you make it road worthy , then decide if your going to restore it, or just clean it up and drive. that's what I'm doing.

Like I said, make it safe and drive the poop outta it.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 PM
CAOldFordTrucks
New User
Thank you very much for that. When I have a more specific question, I'll start a new thread and ask the forum or search the classifieds. My plan at this point is to get it roadworthy and clean. I think this beauty needs to be returned to the road, I'm not all that worried whether it's all original or not.

LM

Quick Reply: Marmon Herrington Ford F1