Texas vehicle registration?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
staysbroken
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas vehicle registration?

Hi guys,

I've been stationed at Fort Hood for a couple years now, and up to this point have kept my vehicles registered at my parents' address in Georgia. I'll be getting out of the Army within the next year though and will be staying here. My understanding is that TX does visual inspections for all years of vehicles? GA has no visual inspection, just emissions testing for vehicles 25 years and newer, so my F100 has always been exempt as long as I've owned it.

I'm not worried about registering my Ranger, but my F100 has no functional horn (unless you count the bicycle horn I put on the side mirror ), reverse lights, neutral safety switch, catalytic converters... and probably a few others that I'm not thinking of.

How have you guys dealt with things like that? Is it just a matter of finding someone who will look the other way at those things?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 PM
BillC
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to this site and read up on what you need.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Vehicle Inspection Program

Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
1st off, thank you for your service. 2nd, Fort Hood doesn't sound like the safest place right not in light of recent events.

Lastly, I had a 64 truck where the horn did not work years ago. The simple way to beat the inspection is to spend about $20 at the parts store and get you a cheap horn that works and a push button you can mount inside the cab. You need to have a push button horn. It doesn't have to be in the center of the steering wheel. Run some wire from the battery through the switch to the horn and you have a working push button horn. Problem solved.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 PM
95FordTruck02
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, when you go to get your inspection you will need to get a VIN Verification form filled out. All the normal inspection places will give you this (usually costs about a dollar) and may be needed to transfer your title to Texas registration. Another hint.. call your county tax office to ask what all else you need because no onelikes to make more than one trip there!