1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wow! Check out the junk in my coolant filter!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Check out the junk in my coolant filter!

My auxiliary coolant filter was leaking on the inlet side so I figured it was getting full. So I changed it and dumped the filter out in a bucket. I was amazed at how much crap came out! Looked like about a tablespoon of sand. I think it was a good idea to put in the filter! I got the filter mount at CarQuest and I use the Napa 4070 coolant filter. It cost about $40 to install.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Darn , that is quite a bit of trash in there. How long have you been running the coolent, and is it ELC?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Darn , that is quite a bit of trash in there. How long have you been running the coolent, and is it ELC?
This filter was only used 7000 miles but there were some circumstances. As the ambient temperatures have dropped, I turned on the auxiliary coolant pump to enable the truck to heat up faster. Maybe the pump stirred up the junk. Also, during this 7000 miles, I installed a new water pump, so perhaps some of the sand is from casting of the WP.

That is CAT ELC.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
wow, you got pics of the install?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Looks like ELC to me! And with a 2002, he had semi-ELC in there to start with. Imagine how much silicate drop-out is in a green coolant motor! I need to get this done. I've been putting off the coolant change for a while now.....

EDIT: It's NOT "casting sand". It's drop-out from coolant with SCA in it. Gold has a little SCA, green is full of it. Here's what it looks like:

Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by 03_PSD
wow, you got pics of the install?
No pics here at work, but it is a piece of cake install. You want the filter to be in "bypass" mode. I teed off the heater core and ran 5/8 heater hose to the coolant filter. I mounted the coolant filter on the driver's side body of the truck, near the factory location of the fuel pump. The return hose from the filter goes to the degas bottle. I just teed off the factory return to the degas bottle.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Looks like ELC to me! And with a 2002, he had semi-ELC in there to start with. Imagine how much silicate drop-out is in a green coolant motor! I need to get this done. I've been putting off the coolant change for a while now.....
EDIT: It's NOT "casting sand". It's drop-out from coolant with SCA in it. Gold has a little SCA, green is full of it. Here's what it looks like:
Get'r done, Joe.
I put in full ELC, last year about this time, when I flushed my cooling system and put on a new water pump. I already had the coolant filter installed, so I left everything in place and changed the filter. It is still flowing fine. I wonder sometimes if it is still catching anything since the coolant change to ELC. I will cut it open later and see if it's still really necessary to be there. I may be taking it off to free up some room.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I went over to the Cat dealer the other day -- it'll cost me about $90 in coolant and about $20 in distilled to do it. Plus I want change that pesky hose, and maybe re-do the 'stat housing just to make sure I don't have any issues later. Maybe even the lower hose housing O-ring too. If I put this stuff in, I don't want to have do it again later.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
I'm in the same boat as you Joe, I need to change my coolant.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

When I did my coolent change over to ELC, I had to flush the system 4 times to get all the silicate out. I'm not convinced the filter is needed with the ELC.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I won't be putting one on mine...

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by miller_feed
When I did my coolent change over to ELC, I had to flush the system 4 times to get all the silicate out. I'm not convinced the filter is needed with the ELC.
This is the third time I have changed the filter, and I have been using the CAT ELC the whole while (I flushed, installed the CAT ELC and coolant filter all at the same time). I didn't dump the other two filters out, so i don't know what was in them. But it is still catching a lot of junk!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I went over to the Cat dealer the other day -- it'll cost me about $90 in coolant and about $20 in distilled to do it. Plus I want change that pesky hose, and maybe re-do the 'stat housing just to make sure I don't have any issues later. Maybe even the lower hose housing O-ring too. If I put this stuff in, I don't want to have do it again later.
I ordered a case of the Peak Final Charge ELC (CAT approved) from O'Reailly's. It was $19.99/gallon and they had it at their warehouse. They had it at the store that afternoon. Picked it up the next day. Most auto parts houses and some OTR trucks parts didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for the CAT approved ELC.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great pics, not only the dropout you have to worry about, it's the rust from the upper and lower stamped steel intake and outlet coolant housings too, this is what my upper looked like after my T-stat changeout , the lower looks grungy also, that will be changed out eventually. Dieselsites aluminum housing on the left, stock stamped steel on the right. CAT red ELC user here with the D-S coolant filter system installed. I'll be pulling my coolant filter soon to see what I caught, been about 6 months approx.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As a Group did we ever decide if ELC is or isnt ok in early 99?

Quick Reply: Wow! Check out the junk in my coolant filter!